Photo

Cortex BASIC in 80 Column

83 replies to this topic

#76 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• 1,633 posts

Posted Fri May 6, 2016 11:53 AM

Adoption would be higher, if development tools like one of the BASIC's worked with it naturally. Where by naturally I mean the language figures out when and why to bank instead of requiring the programmer to perform memory management operations, such as with RXB. TurboForth actually looks like one of the easiest ways for developers to access it without changing much about how they code. ( Except if changing how you code involves learning TurboForth )

There was some prolific Advanced Basic programmer from what I've read about the Geneve. BASIC that is naturally unshackled would be awesome.

Did the Powertran Cortex BASIC have any memory paging before it was ported over?

-M@

#77 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 3,201 posts

Posted Fri May 6, 2016 12:10 PM

How fast is Cortex Basic compared to XB?

#78 Stuart OFFLINE  

Stuart

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 761 posts

Posted Fri May 6, 2016 12:23 PM

jedimatt42, on 06 May 2016 - 6:53 PM, said:

Did the Powertran Cortex BASIC have any memory paging before it was ported over?

It didn't support huge great BASIC programs stored in paged memory, but did support scanning through memory banks for what it called "extended commands". So you could introduce new commands using paged memory, but couldn't have bigger programs. You could control the memory mapper directly if you wanted store data in paged memory.

#79 Stuart OFFLINE  

Stuart

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 761 posts

Posted Fri May 6, 2016 12:27 PM

How fast is Cortex Basic compared to XB?

There are some benchmarks on the forum somewhere. From memory it was around 1.5 times as fast. Everything is written in assembler - no GPL (apart from the console keyboard scanning routine that it uses).

#80 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,355 posts

Posted Fri May 6, 2016 2:23 PM

There are some benchmarks on the forum somewhere. From memory it was around 1.5 times as fast. Everything is written in assembler - no GPL (apart from the console keyboard scanning routine that it uses).

I typed in your graphic demo program at the Fest West and showed it to Richard G.  he seemed interested :)   took a long time to draw tho.

Greg

#81 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 4,317 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2018 2:52 PM

Hi,

can I use .DSKs in Cortex Basic (Classic99) or is it tape only ?

thx

#82 Stuart OFFLINE  

Stuart

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 761 posts

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2018 4:47 PM

Should work OK.

"Loading/saving from/to disk is now supported using standard device/file names in quotes (for example, SAVE "DSK3.MYPROG" and LOAD "DSK3.MYPROG"). The auto-run feature as described in the Cortex user guide is also supported. Note though that I think the system crashes at the moment if you try to save a file with the same name as an existing file."

#83 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 4,317 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2018 3:32 AM

Should work OK.

"Loading/saving from/to disk is now supported using standard device/file names in quotes (for example, SAVE "DSK3.MYPROG" and LOAD "DSK3.MYPROG"). The auto-run feature as described in the Cortex user guide is also supported. Note though that I think the system crashes at the moment if you try to save a file with the same name as an existing file."

ah super, thanks, works :thumbsup:

So I packed some oh the demos into a .DSK :)

Attached File  Cortex BASIC Programs_180K.JPG   36.33KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Cortex BASIC Programs_180K.dsk   180KB   6 downloads

#84 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 3,072 posts

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2018 3:57 AM

I have never seen a demo of Cortex Basic yet on video?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users