IGNORED

Newbie Questions

hizzy

Hi,

First post! I am new here, and I would like to start collecting some of my favorite Atari games of my youth. I hope it's okay to post this here, but I wanted to ask for some collecting tips. I remember my Atari console of my youth being pretty robust. Is there a model I should look at purchasing? Is the "heavy six" named so because it is the best built? Is it better to buy a console that has been serviced or should remaindered stock work as new?

Thanks in advance,

h

Hi, and welcome !

The heavy sixer gets its name from the thick and heavy shielding built inside. It's the first model produced (in California) and the rarest. A must have for a collector, but its price is higher. For a start, I'd suggest a light sixer, which is more common and cheaper, and has all the appeal of the original model. I don't know from where you are, but the heavy one is NTSC only, which could be an issue if you're european.

Edited by Cambouis de l'Atari

Hi!

I am in Canada. I would love one of the Atari's with the wood grain because that's what I had as a kid. Are there any things I should look at when buying a console? Are there any tell-tale signs of use/abuse? I remember the joysticks got shabby. Are there repairs or mods that should be done to thee joysticks that you can recommend?

Thanks for your advice!

h

Well, the light sixer has wood grain, as well as some (non darth vader) 4 switch. What to look at ? Well, as for every vintage tech product I guess... a not too worn console :) If the switches aren't firm or the yellow/orange paint is missing, chances are that the console had a heavy use. If you can find a console with the AV mod, it could be the sign that the owner took care of it. For the joysticks I know there are repair kits. You can check at best electronic for parts, or buy a new repro from atari flashback (I don't have the link right here), some here say they are good sticks. But any "atari" standard joystick will work, there are plenty of them, there shoudn't be a problem to find one. And from my experience, the original cx40 are quite tough, I have many of them still working fine !

Hi!

By AV Mod, I guess you mean some kind of HDMI mod?

I remember fixing my joysticks as a kid. Those memories are kind of nice. I guess I am getting nostalgic as I age :P

Is there a place most go to buy their first console, outside of best electronics? There are no "official" atari vendors, I suppose?

Thanks!

h

I'd really recommend getting one of these things if you have a TV with a coaxial input (usually coaxial inputs are used for cable boxes and the like).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221931573639?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82 <- eBay link (slightly more expensive)

http://www.amazon.com/Atari-2600-Coaxial-Plug-Female-Adapter/dp/B0028MXOF6 <- Amazon link

Grettings, fellow newbie!

Best Electronics, to my understanding, is the closest thing to an 'offical' Atari retailer out there (having ended up with most of the old backstock from the Sunnyvale location.) However, since Atari is long since out of business, anyone with it is selling vintage/secondhand merchandise... so anywhere that carries used stuff is fair game to look. If you have a reliable local shop, start there- any chance to hook up and test the unit is to your benefit. You can also check the marketplace here, sometimes people let go of units to par down a collection, or just buy them to repair and release... like a preservation program. Don't worry too much about a game switch- you can get a more reliable signal with a coaxial converter (this thing).

Let me know when you've got a system lined up... I've got a little pile of very common (think Combat) carts I was going to throw into the marketplace after the holidays, when I can more easily get to the post office. Nothing great, but a decent start for a brand new collection.

Grettings, fellow newbie!

Best Electronics, to my understanding, is the closest thing to an 'offical' Atari retailer out there (having ended up with most of the old backstock from the Sunnyvale location.) However, since Atari is long since out of business, anyone with it is selling vintage/secondhand merchandise... so anywhere that carries used stuff is fair game to look. If you have a reliable local shop, start there- any chance to hook up and test the unit is to your benefit. You can also check the marketplace here, sometimes people let go of units to par down a collection, or just buy them to repair and release... like a preservation program. Don't worry too much about a game switch- you can get a more reliable signal with a coaxial converter (this thing).

Let me know when you've got a system lined up... I've got a little pile of very common (think Combat) carts I was going to throw into the marketplace after the holidays, when I can more easily get to the post office. Nothing great, but a decent start for a brand new collection.

^ This.

I'd really recommend getting one of these things if you have a TV with a coaxial input (usually coaxial inputs are used for cable boxes and the like).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221931573639?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82 <- eBay link (slightly more expensive)

http://www.amazon.com/Atari-2600-Coaxial-Plug-Female-Adapter/dp/B0028MXOF6 <- Amazon link

In-between price, but just pick up one or two while you're buying homebrew games anyway: :)

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=42

Hi Everyone!

I was just watching a video about coaxial converters! I remember the RF switch from back in the day. This will be one of my first accessories to pick up. I have a line on a Darth Vader style console that is new in the box. It's local, but the seller wants 500.00. That's maybe a bit more than I want to spend on a new hobby. Best electronics looks great, but they are running low on consoles right now. Is there a "fair" price for a console in nice shape? Is 100.00 the going rate?

Thanks!

h

Hi Everyone!

I was just watching a video about coaxial converters! I remember the RF switch from back in the day. This will be one of my first accessories to pick up. I have a line on a Darth Vader style console that is new in the box. It's local, but the seller wants 500.00. That's maybe a bit more than I want to spend on a new hobby. Best electronics looks great, but they are running low on consoles right now. Is there a "fair" price for a console in nice shape? Is 100.00 the going rate?

Thanks!

h

DO NOT SPEND $500. Unless it's got a massive pile of games with it, that's a ridiculous number. Honestly closer to the $50 mark is better, assuming it's not a rare variant like a heavy sixer, and comes with all the hookups/a controller/works. I'm sure someone here's got a link to a good deal (I don't at the moment.)

Hi Everyone!

Thanks!

h

That guy is INSANE. I got mine for ~$25 on eBay, worked like a charm. Even came with joystick and power cable.

Hi Everyone!

Thanks!

h

You can not prove a "Vader" (I hate this term) is new in the box, even if it was, maybe $150. You should be able to get a well functioning setup for $100 shipped. Do you just want to stick it on a shelve, or use it? You can get units, that are not boxed, cheaper.

Buy your games in lots, if possible. You'll get the most value that way and if you're searching for 2 games out of a lot of 4, lots of times you'll end up with 2 free games. Also, if you're into a lot of really common games, don't go out of your way to get them because they're the ones you'll find for free in those lots. When I first got into it, I bought a bunch of ultra commons from someone because he had dupes in his collection. Not to say he duped me, he charged a fair price, but it wasn't until later I realized there were cheapers way to get these carts.There's no reason to pay for E.T. or Pac-man, even if it was only 50 cents or a dollar.

When it comes to paddles and driving controllers, I found it best to try to find someone on here who will sell and test them for you. On Ebay, everything is tested when it's not.

You can not prove a "Vader" (I hate this term) is new in the box, even if it was, maybe $150. You should be able to get a well functioning setup for $100 shipped. Do you just want to stick it on a shelve, or use it? You can get units, that are not boxed, cheaper.

(Slightly) unrelated

I never got why they called that model "Darth Vader", I get that it's all black, but many modern consoles are black, and no one calls them "Vader"

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the forums. :)

The Heavy Sixer was built from 1977-1978 in Sunnyvale, CA. They are the most sought after for collectors as they are the most uncommon models. The '77 model has no channel select switch but the '78 model does. The molding is thicker and has a slightly curved edge. It is personally my favorite models and has the better video quality and output. These models go around $60 to $70 for a bare system. Maybe cheaper and maybe more.

The Light Sixer has most of the features as the Heavy does but there are some notable differences. First is the molding. It is much thinner and has a sharp curve the rf shielding is the same but weighs less due to the bottom plastic shell. These were briefly made in Sunnyvale in it's early run but moved overseas to Hong Kong and some in Taiwan. These were made from 1978-1980. These models aren't as uncommon as a Heavy Sixer and will go for around $40. They are good systems too and have good output.

The 4 switch wood grain model is the most common and are dime a dozen. These were made from 1980-1982. They have the same bottom shell and molding as the Light Sixer but the obvious difference is the difficulty switches are moved to the back. And the joystick ports were raised higher. The picture quality is not as good as a six switch but you can do a minor soldering to it to have it like a six switch model. These systems are cheap and are not hard to find. Should be $20 and also can fetch them for much less.

The Vader units are the last toggle switch systems and were made from 1982-1984. These are famously named after Darth Vader due to it's all black look. No orange trim around the cart slot bezel and and all black to replace the wood veneer. It became the 2600 oficially. They are exactly the same as the 4 switch woody inside and out. They go for about $30.

The Junior models were originally due to come out in 1984 but shelved until 1986 as they were released along the time the 7800 officially came out. These models had a slim appearance, plastic tabs instead of toggle switches, no rf cord plugged to the motherboard, and an LED light to indicate power. They made two types. A short rainbow and long rainbow. These models are not my favorite of the many varieties as I think they are cheaply made. These go for about $20-$25.

The best place to get an atari is to look on craigslist, best electronics, ebay, marketplace on atariage, local flea markets, thrift stores, or garage sales. You can get them dirt cheap. For hooking it up get one of the coax male to female end adapters. They will screw onto the ba c k of the end of the rf cable and screws onto the coax plug on the tv. Hope you can get a great working system!! :)

Heavy Sixer

post-32978-0-25409800-1448500008_thumb.jpg

Light Sixer

post-32978-0-83820400-1448500134_thumb.jpg

4 switch woody

post-32978-0-02704500-1448500168_thumb.jpg

"Vader" 2600

post-32978-0-42361000-1448500187_thumb.jpg

Junior

post-32978-0-30856100-1448500212_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi!

I'm looking for something just to play. The boxed unit was one of the few on my local kijiji (a Canadian Craigslist Copy). I'll look for something more cost friendly. :)

Thanks!

Buy your games in lots, if possible. You'll get the most value that way and if you're searching for 2 games out of a lot of 4, lots of times you'll end up with 2 free games. Also, if you're into a lot of really common games, don't go out of your way to get them because they're the ones you'll find for free in those lots. When I first got into it, I bought a bunch of ultra commons from someone because he had dupes in his collection. Not to say he duped me, he charged a fair price, but it wasn't until later I realized there were cheapers way to get these carts.There's no reason to pay for E.T. or Pac-man, even if it was only 50 cents or a dollar.

When it comes to paddles and driving controllers, I found it best to try to find someone on here who will sell and test them for you. On Ebay, everything is tested when it's not.

I don't know if others played ET, but I used to play that like mad as a kid. It wasn't a good game, but it was one of the few that I had :P

I don't know if others played ET, but I used to play that like mad as a kid. It wasn't a good game, but it was one of the few that I had :P

Just don't go out of your way to buy it for sure.

And if you're looking for a console to just play, get what you had as a kid or whatever is cheapest. I got a Jr. and a friend gave me one of the other versions and I didn't tell any difference. Just getting started or just to play, it doesn't really matter. My advice would be to buy the biggest lot you can find of an Atari console and commons, no matter what model of system it is at the best deal. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get a console and 30-50 games for $100. I am from Canada too and when I bought my 2600 it was from a Canadian seller, definitely the way to go because fewer people bid on them.

At the same time, allow me to introduce to you another idea - the one I wish I would have done when I bought my 2600 - don't. Buy a 7800 instead because it will play 2600 and 7800 games in one unit.

• Like 1

Hi!

I'm looking for something just to play. The boxed unit was one of the few on my local kijiji (a Canadian Craigslist Copy). I'll look for something more cost friendly. :)

Thanks!

As a fellow Canadian I often look on Kijiji for vintage games in my area. Prices are almost always too high. Everyone is convinced that Atari systems are "old, rare and valuable". Depending on where you live you may find a system for a fair price. You just have to check the site often and be patient.

Local thrift stores are hit and miss. They don't have many Atari consoles like they did years ago. Places like Goodwill, Salvation Army and Value Village are starting to charge a lot for Atari stuff. They also think that these things are rare and valuable.

Another option is to put a wanted ad on Kijiji. You may get lucky.