IGNORED

Sega Genesis Classic Game Console.

Rik

I bought the FB6 and the SG CGC this week. The Sega is really nice. The controllers are IR like the FB6, and really quite cool. The Sega also has a cartridge port that will read Sega Genesis cartridges, pretty cool. I am not familiar with the original Sega games so it's extra nice. I say that because i have heard some say the music and game sounds on some games are off key and not true to the originals? Anyone here that bought the system notice? My favorite games on the Sega are Vectorman 1&2. Nothing beats plugging cartridges in a real console, but thought i'd grab these anyways, especially the Sega since i have never owned anything Sega

Edited by Rik

I bought one of those ATGames Genesis consoles last year. The sound emulation was just awful, especially on Sonic and Sonic 2. The music was in a lower key, and it was just grating on the ears. My RetroN3 is more audio-accurate than that. I sold it NIB a week later on eBay and doubled my investment. (Got it at Kroger for $20 and sold it on eBay for $40.)

Also, the Genesis version of Virtua Racing will not work on it.

For those interested, my review of the AtGames Sega Genesis Classic Game console (2015 version), is now live. http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2015/12/06/review-atgames-sega-genesis-classic-game-console-2015-version-with-videos-2/

A few observations...

1. Lots of empty space in that box. What were they thinking? What decade do they think this is?

2. Those controllers look like they feel cheap. Any thoughts on how they feel compared with original controllers?

3. If those videos are anything to go by, they absolutely butchered the audio hardware. I think if they had spent a little more time cooking that in R&D they'd have a product people would want to buy. Audio is half of the feedback experience. This product shouldn't have left the factory in this state. It misrepresents what the Sega Genesis was capable of and makes their product appear as a knock-off and not officially-licensed hardware. Those grating off-key sounds would likely be noticeable to people who have never played the system before. Sonic the Hedgehog has great music. Sonic the Hedgehog shouldn't sound bad. It'd be a shame if I am playing that particular game and I have to turn it down or mute it because it sounds atrocious and is offensive to the ears, which it does with the AtGames hardware. I would not recommend the product based on that alone.

A few observations...

1. Lots of empty space in that box. What were they thinking? What decade do they think this is?

2. Those controllers look like they feel cheap. Any thoughts on how they feel compared with original controllers?

3. If those videos are anything to go by, they absolutely butchered the audio hardware. I think if they had spent a little more time cooking that in R&D they'd have a product people would want to buy. Audio is half of the feedback experience. This product shouldn't have left the factory in this state. It misrepresents what the Sega Genesis was capable of and makes their product appear as a knock-off and not officially-licensed hardware. Those grating off-key sounds would likely be noticeable to people who have never played the system before. Sonic the Hedgehog has great music. Sonic the Hedgehog shouldn't sound bad. It'd be a shame if I am playing that particular game and I have to turn it down or mute it because it sounds atrocious and is offensive to the ears, which it does with the AtGames hardware. I would not recommend the product based on that alone.

1. There are certain requirements for retail shelving.

2. The controllers are a bit lighter than the originals, but quite responsive. I do prefer the wired versions, though.

3. The audio is a bit rough, yes. They'll be improving the hardware for 2016, so hopefully they prioritize the sound.

• Like 1

Sonic should sound like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1XEd5Q7E7Y

and not this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gYLL9GlsSI

(When I was queuing these videos up, my wife was like "Wow, that sounds bad" without knowing anything about what's going on here. :lol:)

If they do fix this flaw I may pick one of these up.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review, Bill. They've been releasing essentially the same thing for several years now. I wish they'd fix the audio already. I'd love to have a better cheap portable Genesis that can save games.

I never asked why they didn't release the handheld I tested from several years back. I still have it, and it's darn near perfect. While you can't save games, it does support save states and other emulator-like functionality. They promise hardware improvements for 2016, but I just don't know what that will translate to.

As i understand it the sound issue is related to a specific chip in the console that Yamaha owns and refused to publish the technicals for, and AtGames basically had to shoot from the hip when they made it.

Still could have been better of course, but i can live with that for the very reasonable price it goes for sale on.

• Like 2

What about the portable Genesis system? This year it comes in white body but is more or less the same as last year's blue body.

0pBc3Lw.jpg

They were on sale at local Meijer's for 25% off ($37 and change) but I don't know if it's worth keeping or not. It loads game via SD slot and the review suggests Genesis bin will work but not all. Also no 2 players support.

Nomad doesn't cost much more and with new LCD, new caps, etc it works with just about any games while this new portable system still can't use 32X and I doubt SMS works.

What about the portable Genesis system? This year it comes in white body but is more or less the same as last year's blue body.

Nomad doesn't cost much more and with new LCD, new caps, etc it works with just about any games while this new portable system still can't use 32X and I doubt SMS works.

Yes, the AtGames portable Genesis is the same hardware as last year's model and works the same as the console. And no, you can't use 32X or SMS stuff, but you can't use the former on the Nomad either (I have an LCD-modded Nomad and it's pretty great, despite the relative bulk). The prototype AtGames portable I've had for a few years now is really great and has a few surprises contained within, so I really hope that's the one they go with for 2016 rather than an upgrade of their current platform. We'll see, though.

^ why would a nicer prototype be built and in some peoples hands vs. marketing a lesser one? Matter of cost/price point or what? Licensing for something not worked out yet?

A few years in the tech world is what, 3000 dog years? :lol:

I don't have a good answer. They've released at least two iterations of the same handheld since that was developed. I can only assume it wasn't as cost effective to produce. I've brought it up a few times, but it was never really addressed head on. I have a feeling the improvements that go into the console will go into the handheld as well, which means we won't be seeing that prototype, just an improved version of what we've been getting. Again, time will tell on that. It's all still in development and we won't know what will come out on the other side until they finalize the engineering effort.

They were on sale at local Meijer's for 25% off ($37 and change) but I don't know if it's worth keeping or not. It loads game via SD slot and the review suggests Genesis bin will work but not all. Also no 2 players support.

I actually went looking for one of these today, even though I don't need it and I definitely know better. I just kinda want one. We don't have Meijer's but I heard these were selling at Bed Bath Beyond so I went there. I saw the Atari Flashback 6 and the Genesis TV console, but no handhelds except for Mattel football.

This year's white one looks to be the same as the blue one from 2013 which seems to be the same as the orange one I bought a long time ago. Does anyone know if the screen is different on the new one?

These are produced in MASSIVE bulk so I have got to assume that the costs for redoing it with better quality don't outweigh the benefits of just rehashing what they already have in the marketplace.

A few observations...

I bought the system too. Without being too down or hard on it, I'd have to say that it's not a bad system, and if you have a bunch of games and / or really like the Genesis, it's not bad.

The audio is definitely not what it should be. Controllers were garbage in my opinion... I had an original Sega Genesis controller which I kept, and use that instead (allows you to plug in real controllers).

It's not bad, but I found myself not really playing it for too long.

I bought the system too. Without being too down or hard on it, I'd have to say that it's not a bad system, and if you have a bunch of games and / or really like the Genesis, it's not bad.

The audio is definitely not what it should be. Controllers were garbage in my opinion... I had an original Sega Genesis controller which I kept, and use that instead (allows you to plug in real controllers).

It's not bad, but I found myself not really playing it for too long.

I rather like the controllers (although not the infrared part), although I also always liked the size and feel of Sega's six button gamepads. If you didn't like that design then you are probably better off with the original three button model (a handful of games really do need all six buttons, though).

As for some of the other negative comments on here, I understand, but let's try to keep things a bit in perspective here. These consoles generally sell for between $25 - $40 and have 80 games, and can play most original cartridges (and controllers) and some flashcarts. That's probably plenty of value for the casual consumer to get over the mediocre sound. It's not like if it's the type of thing that actually bothers you there aren't plenty of alternatives. There are. I don't think this was ever positioned or sold as an enthusiasts console. The target market is what the target market is.

Ultimately what I'd like to see with the next iteration of this is not only fixed sound, but also, if not an outright replacement with HDMI (probably still too cost prohibitive), at least an upgrade to the quality of the composite signal, preferably one with stereo. There are some products in the same category from competitors that actually have superb quality over composite, albeit still in mono for whatever reason. I pointed one of those out to AtGames and they'll be investigating if they can achieve similar quality.

• Like 2

This year's white one looks to be the same as the blue one from 2013 which seems to be the same as the orange one I bought a long time ago. Does anyone know if the screen is different on the new one?

It's all the same. Like the console version, the only difference is the three Mortal Kombat titles making the list of 80 games.

It's all the same. Like the console version, the only difference is the three Mortal Kombat titles making the list of 80 games.

Oh well. Maybe next year! Seeing this "classic" toy remain the same year after year makes me appreciate the rapid upgrade cycle of tablets and smartphones. This isn't one of those things.

Oh well. Maybe next year! Seeing this "classic" toy remain the same year after year makes me appreciate the rapid upgrade cycle of tablets and smartphones. This isn't one of those things.

Yeah, that's exactly what these are, inexpensive toys (more or less how they're categorized for all practical purposes) that just happen to play videogames we're familiar with. The relative standards for TV Games have never been particularly high, although there obviously have been exceptions here and there (C64 DTV (although I dislike the controller part), Flashback 2/2+, Pac-Man Connect & Play 35th Anniversary, etc.). At least it seems AtGames is finally intending to make improvements for 2016. Hopefully they're significant rather than minor.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 1