IGNORED

Informing Mattel Electronics how to properly run their business.

Guest LiqMat

Anyone interested in seeing a (now) hilarious letter I wrote to Mattel Electronics back in 1982 informing them of the secrets Coleco had up their sleeve? My 12 year old mind was convinced Mattel had no idea what was coming and I had to warn them! I had to quickly execute hi-res scans to preserve this ancient secret document before the roaches could feast upon the pulp of these papers. I sent this to intellivisionlives.com and got no response, but I do find it quite humorous. Luckily I never sent the letter, but somehow it has survived almost 35 years later because my mother saved almost everything her kids created.

Edited by LiqMat

Here it is in its full glory. Names and addresses have been blacked out. Just think... I could have changed the course of history if I had just sent the letter and we all would have an Intellivision III. Mattel would have been ever grateful for my insight. Missed opportunity for sure. ;-)

• Like 19

Always mail something, no matter how crazy. Companies love engagement and will often mail swag to anyone who takes the time offer feedback.

Thanks for the read. Thoroughly enjoyed.

I wonder if that is still the case in today's online / social media world? I would like to think so.........

I wonder if that is still the case in today's online / social media world? I would like to think so.........

I think so. Especially if you actually call or write a letter (vs posting on their Facebook page). Had a friend who had some Schlage locks that were wearing out after a few years of use. They called the company to inquire about them and ended up getting all new locks for the whole house for free. New someone else that got a years supply of Riccola cough drops for plugging them at a concert.

• Like 1

Wow! That was precious! I like how you ask them to get better at graphics on Horse Racing; and that if there is any new hardware or software lined up, to send you pictures. I can only imagine you were expecting to do a comparison between their future plans and those of Coleco to ensure they were on the right track.

Fantastic! :)

-dZ.

Hilarious! It's almost as if you knew the Intellivision III really wasn't going to be an improvement in graphics/sounds, but wanted to appeal to Mattel to 'make it so'. :lol:

I too wished that would have been the case. A next gen Intellivision system, while maintaining compatibility (or not) would have been awesome! :love:

Moreso today than ever. Every company gets 6 million tweets from twits daily, but the number of actual, physical letters? You can count them on one hand.

My father gets a kick out of hand-writing letters to see how high up the pecking order he can get. He's had the CEO of a major telecom provider respond (it was an admin person for sure, but the effect is nice). Gotten a bunch of free stuff from pretty minor complaints, too.

• Like 1

LOL, half that Coleco stuff was vaporware anyways. :)

I remember me and my brother writing to the WWF with new wrestling moves we had invented and we even drew pictures of how they worked and everything.

You have no idea how much I wanted "Tunnels and Trolls" for Colecovision from that vaporware screenshot and the Colecovision Dracula screenshot was a close second since I already loved the Intellivision Dracula. Too bad neither saw the light of day.

I too always liked those vaporware ColecoVision screenshots. Homebrew enthusiasts are really pushing to get all of the vaporware titles completed eventually and some have been finished already. Check out the CV section of the forum for more info. :-)

A guy was working on Dracula for ColecoVision but hasn't announced anything about it in a long time.

Tunnel & Trolls exists sort of... renamed and revamped, released recently as Dungeon & Trolls.

Here is an old WIP video the programmer posted a while back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy4JoBLSnxo

• Like 2

I too always liked those vaporware ColecoVision screenshots. Homebrew enthusiasts are really pushing to get all of the vaporware titles completed eventually and some have been finished already. Check out the CV section of the forum for more info. :-)

A guy was working on Dracula for ColecoVision but hasn't announced anything about it in a long time.

Tunnel & Trolls exists sort of... renamed and revamped, released recently as Dungeon & Trolls.

Here is an old WIP video the programmer posted a while back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy4JoBLSnxo

That is pretty cool. Looks like an upgraded Temple of Apshai, but what really attracted me to those two game was that isometric look to them which was pretty new back in 1982-83.