IGNORED

Nintendo next system maybe be carts again...

Why not SD cards?

Definitely a possibility. Dual-layered Blu Rays hold 50 gigabytes worth of data, and there are 64+ gigabyte SD cards now. As technology increases and costs come down on that format, the possibility of it being utilized for game consoles becomes more real.

• Like 2

I don't think Nintendo will abandon physical media so soon, but I do think that they will be aiming for it to be their secondary distribution medium for them this coming generation compared to how retail is unequivocally how most people still enjoy AAA Wii U and 3DS releases today.

SD card makes a lot of sense if it's cheap enough since it aligns well with the merged console and handheld rumors, unlike optical media. Blu-Ray derived discs like the Wii U utilizes are undoubtedly the leader where price per gig of storage is concerned, but they're obviously much more problematic for portable uses and don't mesh well with all this merger talk.

SD is slow so it will probably be a USB type device with added protection.

Mandatory installations could work around that since there's no reason these days why the physical medium that delivers a game to your home has to be read directly every time you play said game.

Edited by Atariboy

I think cartridges would be VERY welcome. One of my favorite systems of all time is the Nintendo DS. Never do I have to worry about the drive or carts becoming damaged and stop reading. Can't say the same when it comes to my PS2 and PSP units though.

And honestly, optical formats are SLOOOOOW. The only reason why we ever got away from using carts in the first place was simply because of storage space limitations and costs. I can't speak on costs (though SD card prices keep plummeting and plummeting), but in regards to space necessary for games, SD cards would be perfect for today's games.

Especially if they make some sort of weird portable and home console hybrid thing, physical media would be very welcome.

I think Nintendo would be shooting themselves in the foot, though, if they didn't have physical media of some sort. So for those thinking it's all DL content, I think that's not going to happen. There are still too many people who can't download giant 30GB files from their ISP. And then there's the collector value, and you KNOW that Nintendo wants to keep packaging software with limited edition Amiibos :roll:

I can see all three going to to some sort of solid state storage to distribute games for the next generation.

One thing to remember, tech companies file a lot of patents. Sometimes they don't show up in the next product, or they don't show up at all. Ideas get tested out and either used or get ditched during development.

It's mostly speculation at this point.

Piracy. Of course, they could do the same basic technology in a custom shell (like the GameCube).

If it's not optical, it will be download-only.

If this gets used, it is likely there will be some form of DRM or some propriety format. The solid state medium is used to distribute the game, but then the game gets loaded onto an internal HD. You will still need the original medium play the game, much like the PS4 and Xbox One do it now.

• Like 1

The pattern of releasing an updated console like a year before the next iteration has yet to be met so I'm still expecting that.

And on their console side, the next iteration is usually the cut down model that axes previous-gen back compatibility so I should really look into getting a Wii U sooner than later if I'm going to get one. :D

More seriously, the article is nothing but rumour and making hopeful guesses by the editor of what he/she seems to want based on those rumours. So yeah, nothing to see here. If Nintendo goes away from optical discs while keeping physical distribution, I can easily see them going for high capacity sd-card type things. They'll probably be form-fitting to 3DS cards, if they plan on merging their console and handhelds into a single system as a lot of people like to assume. They'll have the drm and other such things on the cards to hinder piracy as much as one can either way.

Going download only for console games is still a pretty gutsy move for any of the big 3 to attempt. Games are huge, and whether one wants to believe it or not, not everyone has highspeed uncapped internet access. Even if they're in an area where it's available, not everyone has the cash to spend on it, and if it's capped then they're going to be all the more hesitant to buy any large games on a digital only console which will only hurt the console maker's bottom line. It's a limitation to sales that can be easily avoided by simply including -some- way for physical distribution to be possible. Such as a tiny sd-card slot if they don't want to muck around with large blu-ray drives that apparently suck for actual game consoles anyway beyond the vast storage. (Thus one of the reasons for required installs of games on the current gen consoles, iirc.)

Regardless, I don't particularly consider sd-card type things "cartridges" myself. I reserve that kinda label for the big clunky things of old that have enough space inside to add extra hardware to boost system capabilities in it's dying years. ;)

Going download only for console games is still a pretty gutsy move for any of the big 3 to attempt. Games are huge, and whether one wants to believe it or not, not everyone has highspeed uncapped internet access. Even if they're in an area where it's available, not everyone has the cash to spend on it, and if it's capped then they're going to be all the more hesitant to buy any large games on a digital only console which will only hurt the console maker's bottom line. It's a limitation to sales that can be easily avoided by simply including -some- way for physical distribution to be possible. Such as a tiny sd-card slot if they don't want to muck around with large blu-ray drives that apparently suck for actual game consoles anyway beyond the vast storage. (Thus one of the reasons for required installs of games on the current gen consoles, iirc.)

Regardless, I don't particularly consider sd-card type things "cartridges" myself. I reserve that kinda label for the big clunky things of old that have enough space inside to add extra hardware to boost system capabilities in it's dying years. ;)

If I were in charge of Nintendo's business orientations for the NX, I would go with credit-card-sized cards, similar to the Hu-Cards on the PC-Engine. If they can put a lot of data on a tiny 3DS micro-cart today, imagine how much data they could put on a similar thin cart the size of a credit card. Such thin carts would also be more collectible and a little less likely to be lost. It's so easy to drop and lose a 3DS micro-cart, especially when you put them in the hands of little kids...

To be honest all 3 companies have games on the Systems that are pretty much unplayable without an Internet Connection, or at the very least will suffer quite a bit. So once it's assumed you do have that Internet going on they won't really care all that much.

Nintendo already sells credit for the online store at retail, and even some "games" that are just a code in a box. Seems like some People actually buy that kinda crap. And I don't see why this wouldn't be the future.

And since Amiibos have pretty much taken Nintendo out of the red after some pretty harsh years. So I bet they're looking into how to make Money on that Kind of collectible Gimmick.

Monst important: At this Point it's all speculation. Could it happen? Yes. But until Nintendo announces something it's all guesses and rumors.

To be honest all 3 companies have games on the Systems that are pretty much unplayable without an Internet Connection, or at the very least will suffer quite a bit. So once it's assumed you do have that Internet going on they won't really care all that much.

Nintendo already sells credit for the online store at retail, and even some "games" that are just a code in a box. Seems like some People actually buy that kinda crap. And I don't see why this wouldn't be the future.

And since Amiibos have pretty much taken Nintendo out of the red after some pretty harsh years. So I bet they're looking into how to make Money on that Kind of collectible Gimmick.

Monst important: At this Point it's all speculation. Could it happen? Yes. But until Nintendo announces something it's all guesses and rumors.

Needing an internet connection and going all digital requiring every game be downloaded are two different things. Most people in the world can't download that many GBs through their ISP. Plain and simple. We tend to forget this, because in the US most of us don't have that limitation. But there's a reason why retail stores are still going despite us being able to download our games.

And like I said in my previous post, Amiibos aren't enough for Nintendo. They tend to like releasing limited edition Amiibos with physical copies of a game, for a limited edition set. Nintendo likes the money. Customers like the physical game and collectible figure. I don't see that changing, even if they go from optical format to cartridge form.

• Like 1