IGNORED

Stay Frosty 2 (newbie)

Opry99er

I always love playing Christmas games during the Holidays... Just played my first round of Stay Frosty 2.

What an excellent game!!!!! Truly masterful.

I have played St. Nick for the last couple years on the TI-99/4A and loved it... But Stay Frosty 2 may have just supplanted it as my favorite Christmas game.

Christmas Carol on the INTV is great too. But I gotta tell ya, Stay Frosty 2 has captured some crazy feeling inside me. :) Props to the programmer and THANK YOU for this excellent game.

• Like 7

Im pretty terrible at this game. :lol:

Level 7 I think... The one where you have to collect tree branches (snowman arms) to move the barriers... The laser floor at the top of the screen.

Didnt lose a life til that level, then lost em all there.

I will ty again later tonight.

Edited by Opry99er

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe Nathan should release a walk through video? He was the main play tester and did a lot of level design. Or try this expert playing video (~4:00).

Levels 7 is quite easy, once you figured it out. And IMO that's a major part of the fun this game provides. And there are more challenges awaiting you later. :evil:

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Is there a way to get past the GAS cans on the moving platform level without hitting one?

I am starting to think I need to hit the bottom gas can before I start working on the level, because every time I clear the board, I hit that can and it starts all over again...

You have the right idea on this board, so keep trying!

As far as being able to avoid that gas can, I believe someone mentioned they were able to do that once in another SF2 thread.

Got a little further today. Finally got past the GAS can level. :)

Now that I have learned the level mechanics and order of operations, it no longer poses a problem. :)

When I initially started playing this game, I was excited to have a Christmas themed platformer. The more I play it, the more I realize it is as much a puzzle game as it is a platformer. Very nice surprise. :)

Glad you like the puzzles. I like to imagine that was my idea: icon_smile.gif

We need some levels where the player has to solve some kind of puzzle. E.g. he can go different ways, but only one of them works best (especially in higher rounds).

But from then on, especially Nathan took over with level (and puzzle) design. icon_thumbsup.gif

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

The more I play it, the more I realize it is as much a puzzle game as it is a platformer. Very nice surprise. :)

The puzzle element was always one of our goals for SF2:

What I'm thinking is something along the lines of Pitfall II. Not in terms of gameplay, but concept. A vast playfield of individual puzzles (levels) to explore.

At any rate, I'd really like to be able to spend a lot more time on the level design, and work to make them more puzzle-like. So the player has to think their way through them, not just mow down fireballs as fast as possible.

When I play Stay Frosty I see a really cool concept that wasn't fully realized due to time constraints and lack of play testing (due in part to the number of concurrent games being developed for Stella's Stocking). Specifically a number of levels are quite boring, the difficulty doesn't ramp well and the puzzle element is lacking. The few glimpses of the puzzle element (the level where a specific fireball triggers an elevator, a level where you must be melted to get to a fireball, and another where you must immediately jump over the ice so you can use it later to rebuild yourself) just tease about what could be.

Yep - work started on SF2 back in 2008, though it was scrapped and the project was rebooted in 2010 to use the newly developed DPC+. You might find my blog series, The Story of Stay Frosty 2, to be interesting. It's currently on hiatus, I plan to resume it soon.

• Like 1

I'm training Stay Frosty 2 just to prepare for the special mission - complete all 128 levels without using Level Selector.

I'm getting more familiar with this game!

If I succeed on completing this game (saving 3 helpers and Santa Claus), I will provide my STAY FROSTY 2 VIDEO TUTORIAL and Statistical Tables (details of ENTIRE gameplay) in this thread. Videos can give an extra advantage for beginners.

Thanks to MC CALLISTER for providing clues to enter Level 24, the Second Hidden Bonus Stage.

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 1

I'm training Stay Frosty 2 just to prepare for the special mission - complete all 128 levels without using Level Selector.

I'm getting more familiar with this game!

If I succeed on completing this game (saving 3 helpers and Santa Claus), I will provide my STAY FROSTY 2 VIDEO TUTORIAL and Statistical Tables (details of ENTIRE gameplay) in this thread. Videos can give an extra advantage for beginners.

Thanks to MC CALLISTER for providing clues to enter Level 24, the Second Hidden Bonus Stage.

Good luck on finishing this game, Oyama, and have fun in the process!

STAY FROSTY 2 COMPLETE GAME!

Part 1 of 2 (Best run starts at 0:07:04 mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK1W9S_ZPn4

Part 2 of 2 (at the starting of this part, you will see the message "Paused" just to be honest. I had a break at the moment I saved the second Santa's helper, i.e., after I completed Level 64):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI_N1VCBvzY

STATISTICAL TABLES (details of gameplay) AND SCREENSHOT OF ENDING:

post-24681-0-45426500-1450913424_thumb.png post-24681-0-15864200-1450913431_thumb.png post-24681-0-13034900-1450913438_thumb.png post-24681-0-73554900-1450913446_thumb.png post-24681-0-93873600-1450913454_thumb.png

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 3