IGNORED

VCR Alert: TV show on History of Video Games on TLC tonight

Looks to be interesting, hopefully everyone gets The Learning Channel!

http://tlc.discovery.com/schedule/episode....cpi=54255&gid=0

"Gameheadz takes a look at the history of games, beginning with the 1972

introduction of Pong. Other segments include: a mock documentary made by Atari employees in the late seventies entitled "A Day at Atari;" a talk with Ralph Baer, creator of the Odyssey system; and a look at Nintendo, which includes a clip of game maestro Shigeru Miyamoto performing the theme to Super Mario Bros. on his guitar."

"Since the first Pong machine was unveiled thirty years ago, computer games have evolved at an extraordinary pace to become the world's largest entertainment industry after music.This film reveals moments in computer game history, and points to the future. "

Thank you so much for letting me know. I managed to get a part of the show. This is especially useful since I am doing a report on the business side of the video game industry from its early days to now. Granted it did not go into the impact of say the Sega Genesis or The Sony Playstation but it was still useful.

Thanks again! :)

For those who didn't see it, Atari Jeff has posted it to alt.binaries.emulators.misc with the title Gameheadz. I'm downloading it now.

Looks like it must have been removed. I checked the newsgroup and it was not there. Luckily it will be shown again on the 20th at 3 p.m.

I managed to snag it from a.b.e.m. just fine. It's about 250MB though, so I'm not sure if I can set up a mirror...

Anyways, it's a decent show, and the first half gives pretty good insight into what was going on. I found the stuff about Codemasters quite interesting, same with the stuff about Tetris. I don't think Tetris deserved a whole 20 minutes though. I would have liked to see them cut the Tetris junk down a bit and mention more about Atari's competition like Coleco, Intellivision and Odyssey^2. It was a little strange how they kept calling them "computer games" even when they were talking about Pong and the 2600.

--Zero

Okay, I've set up a mirror of what was posted on a.b.e.m, since I apparently have a kickass newsfeed (I was able to download it twice, including once today). This FTP site is hosted on my home computer, so please be gentle. This is on a cable modem, so it won't be the fastest transfer, but at least it's not 56k.

The video is split into 51 rar volumes (5 megs each), and there are 6 PAR files in case you have trouble downloading some parts. If you don't like this, then tough. This is how it was posted to the newsgroup, and I figure this is much better than putting a big 250MB zip file that no one will be able to download.

Let me know if there are any problems, and I'll do what I can to fix them. This won't be up forever, so please don't link to it or tell hundreds of people about it... if my connection is slow and I see 60 connections, I'll likely just delete everything :P

Anyways, here it is. Good luck.

--Zero

Uh.. What are these? I suppose they won't work on my iMac. Though, I did just learn something else about OS X. It mounted the network FTP drive on my desktop.

But it's taking too long to copy. I'll just watch it on Sunday.

Wait.. I downloaded 01 and tried Stuffit and it unzipped it and asked for part 00.

God.. it says it'll take 2 hours to download?

Aye, carumba! Why don't people embrace MPEG-4? Or something better. AVI sucks! The file size could be so much smaller. People never learn. Oh well.. I'll live with it. Where did you find these?

Not every day I blindly download a huge video which may or may not work. Mplayer, don't fail me now.

Jasoco: You need a program that will handle RAR archives... I don't know of any for OSX off-hand, but do a search on google, and I'm sure there's something out there. I believe the filename.partXX.rar format is created by a slightly newer version of rar, so StuffIt might not understand it. I don't much like using rar for stuff (I generally stick to tar+gzip or bzip2), but rar seems to be the archiver of choice on the newsgroups, and it seems to do multi-volume archives quite well.

As for re-encoding, I'm fairly sure it's already in DivX format, so I don't think you're going to get the file much smaller. Keep in mind that this thing is about an hour long, so 250MB is pretty decent. Hell, I have Futurama episodes that are half as long and almost twice that size! I also wouldn't think you'd want to reduce the image quality any lower than it already is.

Oh yeah, and you only need the .P0X files for replacing missing files... if you manage to get all 51 rar volumes without trouble, then you don't really need the PAR files at all.

Anyways, good luck, and I hope you guys are getting decent speed on the downloads. My computer will be sitting around unused for most of tomorrow, so leech away! :)

--Zero

Archived