IGNORED

What are your collecting goals in 2016?

Hi Keith,

Excellent topic and I would like to contribute what I would like to accomplish for the new year. :)

Its going to be mostly Neo-Geo. Cartridges that I would like to finish is my Samurai Shodown collection by trying to purchase a JPN Samurai Spirits Zero Special (fixed or unfixed version). Next I would like to get the following

Matrimelee (AES)

Mahjong Kyo Retsuden (AES)

Mahjong Sakatonosama (AES)

Mutation Nation (AES)

Baseball Stars 2 (AES)

An Omega CMVS unit

A new Supergun

Anthony...

Oh boy, an Omega! That'll set ya back ;). Just curious, how are you intending to play? CRT or HDTV? If you want to play on your living room HDTV, you might want to look into the HDMI out option instead. Same price (or might even be a bit less, to be honest).

Just a though. Have fun with the Neo Geo stuff though, bud!

• Like 1

Oh boy, an Omega! That'll set ya back ;). Just curious, how are you intending to play? CRT or HDTV? If you want to play on your living room HDTV, you might want to look into the HDMI out option instead. Same price (or might even be a bit less, to be honest).

Just a though. Have fun with the Neo Geo stuff though, bud!

Hi Moto,

Good question. I've dealt using both CRT and HDTV for the Neo (AES & CMVS). My personal choice would be using the CRT unit. Mine's a 24 inch Sylvania unit that I purchased at K-Mart when they were discontinuing manufacturing them in 2007.

Yes, you're right that about the HDTV out option (which is great), I just had better picture quality with the ratio and sprites that are on the Sylvania rather than my Samsung HD unit. But yes, its a nice option to have and worth looking into.

Thank you for the reply Moto. See you on the Neo-Geo thread soon! :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Hi Moto,

Good question. I've dealt using both CRT and HDTV for the Neo (AES & CMVS) my personal choice would be using the CRT unit. Mine's a 24 inch Sylvania unit that I purchased at K-Mart when they were discontinuing manufacturing them in 2007.

Yes, you're right that about the HDTV out option (which is great), I just had better picture quality with the ratio and sprites that are on the Sylvania rather than my Samsung HD unit. But yes, its a nice option to have and worth looking into.

Thank you for the reply Moto. See you on the Neo-Geo thread soon! :)

Anthony...

I totally agree. I like the look of CRT (or PSone screen) look better by a mile. But for Neo Geo, it's more of a party system. And I need a bigger screen for that, hence why I play that one on the HDTV. It's the only standard definition system I do that with.

• Like 1

I totally agree. I like the look of CRT (or PSone screen) look better by a mile. But for Neo Geo, it's more of a party system. And I need a bigger screen for that, hence why I play that one on the HDTV. It's the only standard definition system I do that with.

Hahaha. Gotcha bro! :thumbsup:

Couldn't agree with you more on both the CRT & HDTV decisions. You're right as usual that you need a bigger screen to host parties. Believe me, I did once with an old 13 nch TV in the past once. It look like we were all trying to keep warm with the glow of the screen! :lolblue:

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hahaha. Gotcha bro! :thumbsup:

Couldn't agree with you more on both the CRT & HDTV decisions. You're right as usual that you need a bigger screen to host parties. Believe me, I did once with an old 13 nch TV in the past once. It look like we were all trying to keep warm with the glow of the screen! :lolblue:

Anthony...

Hahaha! What's funny about that is, is that back when I was a kid, all I had was a 13" Orion television. And I used to have my friends over for gaming sleepovers. Some how we were able to do four player Super Mario Kart and F-Zero X.... split screen .... four ways.... on a 13" crt. Kids today don't realize how good they have it.

• Like 1

Hahaha! What's funny about that is, is that back when I was a kid, all I had was a 13" Orion television. And I used to have my friends over for gaming sleepovers. Some how we were able to do four player Super Mario Kart and F-Zero X.... split screen .... four ways.... on a 13" crt. Kids today don't realize how good they have it.

Its funny that you mention Orion Moto.

I also had a 13' Orion TV with a matching black VCR in the 90's. It was not great with the audio, but the video was excellent. The only complaint with the VCR was it didn't have a red audio A/V socket unlike the other yellow, white, red A/V units our Samsung had! Despite those flaws, they were durable, lesser known brand electronics that were cheap and ready to use.

I also had a Symphonic unit as well with the same concerns. They were nice units and lasted for years! :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Moto,

It looks like Orion is still around!

https://www.orion-electric.co.jp/en/products/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_Electronics

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Its funny that you mention Orion Moto.

I also had a 13' Orion TV with a matching black VCR in the 90's. It was not great with the audio, but the video was excellent. The only complaint with the VCR was it didn't have a red audio A/V socket unlike the other yellow, white, red A/V units our Samsung had! Despite those flaws, they were durable, lesser known brand electronics that were cheap and ready to use.

I also had a Symphonic unit as well with the same concerns. They were nice units and lasted for years! :)

Anthony...

Great, now I need an Orion TV, haha. You're not helping my wallet :D

• Like 1

No set goals. I'll probably play alot of Xbox One since I recently got that and about 5 games. Maybe pick up some WiiU new releases in 2016. As far as classic gaming goes, well that depends on what I get the urge to play. Usually, when I hook up an old system, I play what I have (which is always alot), and then search for more to buy from there.

The only thing I'm changing this year is that I bought a Journal to write my purchases down. My game buying habits are so random, I want to record when and where I bought a game. I have so many games that I have no clue anymore how I acquired them.

Right now, everything depends on availability. For the most part I have my system expanded, which has put a serious crimp in my hobby enjoyment. As a fall-back measure I've been grasping at other ways to enhance my classic system.

My "Holy Grail" for 2016 is a DSDD floppy controller clone for the TI's Peripheral Expansion Box, until I get that, I simply can't get enthused about putting anything on SD card images as I don't like to re-do everything, which will be necessary during a change of format. My fingers are crossed on this item.

I also plan to get at least another 4 or 5 "Uber Carts".

1. Get the last few 7800 library titles I don't already own. We'll see...I ain't paying big bucks for Tank Command.

2. Sell off my SMS and Genesis stuff (got an sd flash cart because while I like these systems very much, collecting them physically was not important to me)

3. Find a decently priced PC Engine arcade stick.

I just want more games for all my systems (naturally), with a focus on rare (or rarish) 2600 and 7800 titles, 5200 Activision carts, anything for XEGS, Color Computer, VIC-20, and TRS-80 (Model I), and Timex/Sinclair tapes. Maybe some specific titles here and there for various other platforms.

For hardware, I'd like to get a Commodore PET 2001, a clean working Color Computer 1 (min. 16K), a nice, undented INTV III (and/or a Super Pro System), an honest-to-goodness Atari heavy sixer, a NeoGeo Pocket Color, and maybe even a NeoGeo CD. (And anything else interesting in between, like a TRS-80 Model 100 or PC-2.)

I'm fairly certain most of that won't happen in the next calendar year, but it's nice to have goals, right? :-D

Don't know if these will happen this year, because honestly, some of these have been goals for a long time, but anyway...

1. Buy a new book shelf to organize games better.

2. Get a Action Replay memory cart for my Saturn and maybe start getting a few import games.

3. Either get a working NES Advantage or finally cobble together a working one from my two non-working ones.

4. Get my 36inch tube television back from my dad's house.

5. Get the proper power adapter for my Jaguar.

6. Expand my N64 collection and get some extra controllers.

7. See if I can find a good deal on a 7800.

Um... I can't really choose what I wouldn't mind having by the end of 2016.

Here is some I guess:

1) More Odyssey 2 stuff (I wouldn't mind anything else Magnavox.)

2) More 2600 Stuff

Console wise:

1) Vic 20

2) Maybe a 5200 or 7800

3) A Channel F would be amazing!

However I imagine that I won't have any spare bank inorder to get anything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the goal of "buy less, play more". In addition, I'd like to...

- Better organize my collection, both physically and digitally.

- Fund a significant portion of my new purchases buy selling lots of my excess stuff

- Sell a bunch of my extra stuff

- Play every new game that I acquire

- Get a projector and play classic games outside this summer

• Like 2

I need to start playing more as well. There is no excuse to have a game room like this and let it be neglected. Especially that I have a modded xbox with an executer 3 chip and 500 gig hard drive with every console emulator with all the roms including mame and over 100 burned games. And a modded Wii with over 200 burned games and several emulators. Time to start playing. But that's the part of having an adult life. Vacation time for me January 31st to February 10th though.

post-32978-0-42131000-1451607786_thumb.jpg

post-32978-0-16647300-1451607814_thumb.jpg

post-32978-0-54845200-1451607836_thumb.jpg

post-32978-0-36270300-1451607883_thumb.jpg

post-32978-0-72403600-1451607950_thumb.jpg

post-32978-0-50303100-1451607980_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

This is more of a "classic computers" post but their main use would be for gaming so...

I want to get a G4 Cube and a Powerbook G4. I've been waffling on the Powerbook because I'm holding out to find the final released 17'' model as it has 1680x1050 resolution but I think this year I will break down and buy an older unit. I want it on OS X Tiger anyway so that it will still have classic mode. I'm undecided if I want to buy the hookups for the Cube as it'll mostly be sitting on my desk as a display item.

I was talking to a couple of the guys on one of the Vintage Mac forums I go to and they've been putting SD cards in their clamshell iBooks running Mac OS 9. This sounds pretty intriguing to me, but I don't have an iBook. I'm thinking of hunting one down (I want a hard to find color, Sage, and they are always super expensive :/) and trying the mod out.

A bit more ambitious: period appropriate monitor for my Performa, decent Apple II setup

This stuff eats into my "new" computer budget so it gets blown off a lot. I did get around to getting an original Bondi Blue iMac this year and I am quite pleased with it. If Apple releases the iPad Air 3 next year, that'll probably be my toy for 2016.

Edited by Algus

Be careful of the PowerBook G4. I've had two (both 15") and they both had logic board failures that resulted in massive corruption of the display (and could be temporarily fixed by pressing down hard on certain keys). It's a pity, as I love the fact that it has S-VHS out built in -- it was perfect for playing videos and certain emulators on my CRT.

Eh, yeah that is a danger with old laptops in general. I will probably buy from a collector vs some scrub reseller on eBay. Pismo has a very good reputation among powerbook owners but I think the G3 is not the direction I want to go. Plus I already own a G3 computer and I kind of want to get something that I can do some "modern" things with.