Photo

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

1371 replies to this topic

#901 swapd0 OFFLINE  

swapd0

Moonsweeper

• 416 posts

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2018 6:53 AM

A long time ago I tried to disassembly this game to port it to the Jaguar, and change some code to the GPU/Blitter.

#902 Stage_1_Boss OFFLINE  

Stage_1_Boss

Dragonstomper

• 946 posts
  • The key is in the skull.

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2018 7:36 AM

Nope, the 2.x pattern is full. Permission denied to buzz the tower.

Still good news. = )  I'm sure the 2.x series will help keep the Jaguar purring.

#903 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

RAPTOR Wrangler

• Topic Starter
  • 5,817 posts
  • reBOOTed

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2018 9:23 AM

A long time ago I tried to disassembly this game to port it to the Jaguar, and change some code to the GPU/Blitter.

Did you get anywhere with porting the render code?

#904 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,417 posts

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2018 12:02 PM

Absolutely LOVED Stunt Car Racer back in the day.  Also it was a blast playing it with null modem / serial with someone on an Amiga.

Curious, maybe put in the code and... we'd need to figure out a cable, but make it cross platform play with Atari ST/Amiga/Jaguar?  ha!

Only other game that we got working this way was Populous 2, but the ST being clocked higher always had an advantage over the Amiga version.

#905 swapd0 OFFLINE  

swapd0

Moonsweeper

• 416 posts

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2018 1:33 PM

Did you get anywhere with porting the render code?

Nope.

Here you have the Amiga version disassembled with some comments.

https://github.com/a.../Reference only

#906 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

RAPTOR Wrangler

• Topic Starter
  • 5,817 posts
  • reBOOTed

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2018 7:33 PM

Thanks swapd0, will look at that in a bit.

In the meantime....

*updated with new video

#907 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,417 posts

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2018 8:00 PM

It's been a long time, but isn't this running a bit faster than the ST version? Great work so far! This game is one that would have rocked for a Jag update, back in the day. Then again I maintain that Club Drive (which always reminded me of this) would have been a fantastic game if it hadn't been so buggy/choppy. It ended up being an okay game for me and most thought it was crap.

I should track down a skunkboard...

#908 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

RAPTOR Wrangler

• Topic Starter
  • 5,817 posts
  • reBOOTed

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2018 8:20 PM

It's been a long time, but isn't this running a bit faster than the ST version? Great work so far! This game is one that would have rocked for a Jag update, back in the day. Then again I maintain that Club Drive (which always reminded me of this) would have been a fantastic game if it hadn't been so buggy/choppy. It ended up being an okay game for me and most thought it was crap.

I should track down a skunkboard...

Thank you! Yes, it is - ST is 8Mhz, Jag is 14Mhz, so it is significantly smoother :)

And thanks to swapd0's post I now have the revs counter, so the engine is now correct!

#909 piter OFFLINE  

piter

Star Raider

• 68 posts

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2018 11:40 PM

great work!! thank you!

at the same time we have it on a Atari 8bit ! :D

http://tiny.pl/gnzt4

#910 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,417 posts

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2018 2:00 AM

Thank you! Yes, it is - ST is 8Mhz, Jag is 14Mhz, so it is significantly smoother :)

And thanks to swapd0's post I now have the revs counter, so the engine is now correct!

I may or may not have been running it at 16Mhz on the Mega STe. Ha! I would have to check again to see if that was the case.

Actually, assuming it worked, I bet this game would fly on either the TT030 or Falcon w/CT60e... I will at least try it on one of those three tomorrow to find out.

Awesome work! Ah, there weird almost squealing sound of your care getting damaged.

#911 Swansea_Mariner OFFLINE  

Swansea_Mariner

Chopper Commander

• 247 posts

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2018 5:43 AM

Biggest problem with that game for me was that the car and it's controls felt too light as if you were floating around the track.

#912 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

RAPTOR Wrangler

• Topic Starter
  • 5,817 posts
  • reBOOTed

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2018 5:49 AM

Biggest problem with that game for me was that the car and it's controls felt too light as if you were floating around the track.

Frame. Rate.

#913 Swansea_Mariner OFFLINE  

Swansea_Mariner

Chopper Commander

• 247 posts

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2018 8:09 AM

Yeah the frame rate is petty horrendous, interesting that Vlads recent efforts look a bit like this game on steroids.

#914 Welshworrier OFFLINE  

Welshworrier

Moonsweeper

• 251 posts

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2018 9:04 AM

But this is likely to be available to other players :)

#915 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,417 posts

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2018 11:57 AM

Here's Stunt Car Racer on my TT030.  Can't tell if my TT is buggy (probably could do with a re-cap) or the game is.  Though weirdly I found that when playing with my capture card's VGA ratio settings in OBS, it'd restart the TT, weird, eh?

I am really terrible now, I used to be good....

Also: the sound here keeps going weird, it didn't do that while playing, but then I mostly was hearing the internal speaker, so maybe there is something funky with the output, or my line in is just terrible...

Edited by leech, Sun Mar 4, 2018 12:01 PM.

#916 VladR OFFLINE  

VladR

Stargunner

• 1,577 posts

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2018 12:38 PM

Yeah the frame rate is petty horrendous, interesting that Vlads recent efforts look a bit like this game on steroids.

It's flatshading, so it all kinda looks similar. Of course, this one is available now, that is - if one enjoys driving games played in the framerate of the Checkered Flag (exactly what jag needs more of!)  :)

Long before the A800 port (around October, I guess), I was doing some benchmarks on actual track pieces from StuntCar Racer, and it shouldn't drop below 30 fps at 768x200 in my engine, even single-threaded on just GPU.

I'm pretty darn sure, if proper effort was spent on the multithreaded renderer with DSP (e.g. split the engine components between DSP and GPU), that this game would run at silky smooth 50/60 fps on jaguar. Highly likely not this year, though.

#917 Swansea_Mariner OFFLINE  

Swansea_Mariner

Chopper Commander

• 247 posts

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2018 2:46 PM

The Zohan loves silky smooth, looking forward to 2019 then 😁

#918 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

RAPTOR Wrangler

• Topic Starter
  • 5,817 posts
  • reBOOTed

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2018 3:04 PM

It's flatshading, so it all kinda looks similar. Of course, this one is available now, that is - if one enjoys driving games played in the framerate of the Checkered Flag (exactly what jag needs more of!)  :)

If one enjoys games, one would enjoy this.

It is pretty obvious the Jaguar could do this at 30/60 fps using a native engine. Getting the physics, game play and AI nailed? That's a different ballpark entirely. This game oozes fun, that is not easy to manufacture.

Are you done being snide now, or would you like to get some more unsubtle, rather pathetic, backhanded jabs in before heading back to your eleventybillionth unfinished project of vapourware?

#919 LinkoVitch OFFLINE  

LinkoVitch

River Patroller

• 2,670 posts

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2018 3:47 PM

I'm pretty darn sure, if proper effort was spent on the multithreaded renderer with DSP (e.g. split the engine components between DSP and GPU), that this game would run at silky smooth 50/60 fps on jaguar. Highly likely not this year, though.

You keep saying this and it irks me.  Multithreading isn't what I think you think it is, and is probably a bit pointless maybe even impossible on Jaguar hardware.  What you are actually meaning is Multiprocessing. (wikilink)

All your theoretical promises of awesome 3D engines amount to absolutely nothing if the outcome is nothing more than a few youtube videos of tests or tech demos.  Why not concentrate on a single project and get it finished and released?

#920 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

RAPTOR Wrangler

• Topic Starter
  • 5,817 posts
  • reBOOTed

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2018 11:06 PM

Yeah the frame rate is petty horrendous

Actually the frame rate is higher than the original version. It currently plays really well (no shock there, the original is a classic!)

The TT version looks sweet!

I might try and re-engineer parts of this on the GPU. It did wonders for Star Wars just moving the line draw over.

#921 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

RAPTOR Wrangler

• Topic Starter
  • 5,817 posts
  • reBOOTed

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2018 11:46 PM

Well, someone in the a8 community 'gets it' ...

http://atariage.com/...-5#entry3977957

Just to clarify, I understand most people here in the wider Jaguar community do, as well :)

#922 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,417 posts

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2018 12:07 AM

Well, someone in the a8 community 'gets it' ...

http://atariage.com/...-5#entry3977957

Just to clarify, I understand most people here in the wider Jaguar community do, as well :)

Nice! I am going to have to try that on my beefed up 130XE. Still need to try it on my Falcon too.

#923 ColecoGamer OFFLINE  

ColecoGamer

Dragonstomper

• 587 posts

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2018 2:32 PM

What a great time to be a Jaguar fan. :D (My Atari Jaguar arrived today, so I am officially back in the game, so to speak!)

CyranoJ, thank you for this! I was a big fan of Stunt Car Racer back in the day. :)

#924 walter_J64bit OFFLINE  

walter_J64bit

Quadrunner

• 5,218 posts

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2018 8:39 PM

CF killer!

Edited by walter_J64bit, Mon Mar 5, 2018 8:51 PM.

#925 Stage_1_Boss OFFLINE  

Stage_1_Boss

Dragonstomper

• 946 posts
  • The key is in the skull.

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2018 6:08 AM

Off-yet-on topic, scratch whatever suggestions I may have made in or around this thread as to games you should port, I don't want to pile on to any frustrations you may experience with your project here. Thanks for givin' us access to the goods when you do, CJ. These ports are cool and interesting additions to the Jaguar library. Overall, thanks again for the effort put in, it's appreciated.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users