Photo

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

1121 replies to this topic

#1101 82-T/A OFFLINE  

82-T/A

River Patroller

• 4,047 posts

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:47 PM

Haha, yeah there weren't even all that many hard drive runnable games until the last few years of 'life'. Seemed for some reason the ST developers, after the initial years that it was in the lead of the Amiga, just did mostly lazy ports and most were not big enough to warrant even making them work from a hard drive.

It would be difficult for me to even think of some games that were not solely playable from disk, until patched many years later.

I don't know if it counts... but Conquest of Camelot by Sierra... that was like 4-disks and if I'm not mistaken, I installed them all to the hard drive. I suppose you COULD play them from disk, but that would be brutal.

Back in like... 1999-2000, I had an Atari MEGA-4 ST w/ Supra Drive and monitor that some dude gave me for free from his garage. I played all kinds of games on there, and then I ended up giving it away too a few years later.

#1102 82-T/A OFFLINE  

82-T/A

River Patroller

• 4,047 posts

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:54 PM

I LOVED this game on the PC back in the day (this is the Atari ST version). But it was such a shitty game... but man o man... back in 1985, I played this constantly... 

And this one... Chuck Yeager's Flight Simulator (also Atari ST version):

And who can forget Sub Battle Simulator... oh man.... LOOOOOVED this game:

Also loved this game, Cyber Empires, known as Steel Empires in Europe (Atari ST version):

#1103 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,800 posts

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:01 AM

I suppose he meant "multi-floppy games".But even if it's possible, a point-and-click game like Monkey Island is not very fun to play without a mouse, so it would only appeal to people who have the mouse adapter.

I suppose he meant "multi-floppy games".But even if it's possible, a point-and-click game like Monkey Island is not very fun to play without a mouse, so it would only appeal to people who have the mouse adapter.

Monkey Island was never my type of game..but ST owning friends had it.

I seem to remember a lot of disk swapping whilst round one fellas house.

Possible he only had a singled sided disk drive as he'd been an early adapter to the ST.

#1104 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,169 posts

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:37 PM

When I was into the Atari ST "back in the day", not many people had hard drives.  I eventually got one, I think maybe a Supra Drive.  I now have a Mega ST and a Megafile drive, but I've never hooked them up.  :D  But hard drives weren't that common here in the US for people who had STs, except for the more hardcore enthusiasts who could outlay the cash for one. 

..Al

Yeah, I was somewhat lucky that when we finally got our ST it was. Mega STe with a 50MB SCSI. "50meg, I will never run out!" Oh how Naive I was...

#1105 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,169 posts

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:39 PM

I don't know if it counts... but Conquest of Camelot by Sierra... that was like 4-disks and if I'm not mistaken, I installed them all to the hard drive. I suppose you COULD play them from disk, but that would be brutal.

Back in like... 1999-2000, I had an Atari MEGA-4 ST w/ Supra Drive and monitor that some dude gave me for free from his garage. I played all kinds of games on there, and then I ended up giving it away too a few years later.

I recall a friend of mine with an Amiga complaigning that The Secret of Monkey Island was 12 disks, and the BBS he was downloading it from at 2400 baud pulled the last disk before he could finish it...

#1106 evisu OFFLINE  

evisu

Space Invader

• 24 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:16 PM

I recall a friend of mine with an Amiga complaigning that The Secret of Monkey Island was 12 disks, and the BBS he was downloading it from at 2400 baud pulled the last disk before he could finish it...

MI2 was on 12 disks ... MI1 on just 4.

#1107 JagChris OFFLINE  

JagChris

River Patroller

• 3,416 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:16 PM

I suppose he meant "multi-floppy games".
But even if it's possible, a point-and-click game like Monkey Island is not very fun to play without a mouse, so it would only appeal to people who have the mouse adapter.

Opinion.

#1108 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,239 posts
  • RAPTOR in LOCAL

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:52 PM

Opinion.

They're a bit like assholes, apparently :)

#1109 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,169 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:37 AM

They're a bit like assholes, apparently :)

They're everywhere and tend to stink?

#1110 Zerosquare OFFLINE  

Zerosquare

River Patroller

• 2,584 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:47 AM

Sure, it's just an opinion. After all, the fact the genre is literally called point and click instead of "hold the direction down until the cursor is in the right place" and "too bad, you overshot your target" doesn't mean anything, does it?

Edited by Zerosquare, Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:53 AM.

#1111 af0l OFFLINE  

af0l

Moonsweeper

• 254 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:43 AM

But, but, but! To have an opinon on an opinion? Or the king of the mindf*cks, an opinion on an opinion of someone who is an asshole? That got me for the weekend :)

#1112 JagChris OFFLINE  

JagChris

River Patroller

• 3,416 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:55 AM

Sure, it's just an opinion. After all, the fact the genre is literally called point and click instead of "hold the direction down until the cursor is in the right place" and "too bad, you overshot your target" doesn't mean anything, does it?

Not that. It was that you stated your opinion on it's fun factor and appeal as an absolute fact. There are plenty of that genre converted to the Jag that we enjoy.

#1113 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,169 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:13 PM

But, but, but! To have an opinon on an opinion? Or the king of the mindf*cks, an opinion on an opinion of someone who is an asshole? That got me for the weekend :)

Opinion inception!

My opinion (asshole) is stinkier than all of yours!!  Mwahahaha! 

Seriously though, point and click games are kind of weird with a gamepad.  I mean sometimes they make it so you can just select between what you're supposed to click on, but that kind of gives away things.  Speaking of point and click, wouldn't it be cool if one day Thumbleweed Park was open sourced and we could get a Jaguar port of that?  Or any newer game that could be ported, since so many newer games are 'retro' and would probably run okay on the Jag.

Of note, I wonder how well something like Tower 57 would run (they ported it to Amiga OS4 running on a PowerPC...)

#1114 Zerosquare OFFLINE  

Zerosquare

River Patroller

• 2,584 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:18 PM

There are plenty of that genre converted to the Jag that we enjoy.

Such as?

Speaking of point and click, wouldn't it be cool if one day Thumbleweed Park was open sourced and we could get a Jaguar port of that? Or any newer game that could be ported, since so many newer games are 'retro' and would probably run okay on the Jag.

Just because a game looks/feels retro doesn't mean it can be adapted on a retro machine easily. Thimbleweed Park is great game, but its code is designed for modern systems and it uses more than 800 MB of compressed data.

Edited by Zerosquare, Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:43 PM.

#1115 sh3-rg OFFLINE  

sh3-rg

River Patroller

• 3,376 posts
  • doge + tie = dothemath

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:31 PM

Such as?

I've got quite a few! There's Myst, a game I bought for cheap from some liquidator. Then there's the Myst demo I got with my first Jag CD. I also got a copy of Myst (demo version) with the second Jaguar CD I bought. I also purchased, via eBay, what turned out to be a CD-R of a game called "Mist" - at least that's what the person who used hot pink glittery nail varnish to scrawl on the surface thought it was called. Wasn't great, bit samey.

#1116 Zerosquare OFFLINE  

Zerosquare

River Patroller

• 2,584 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:44 PM

I've got quite a few! There's Myst, a game I bought for cheap from some liquidator. Then there's the Myst demo I got with my first Jag CD. I also got a copy of Myst (demo version) with the second Jaguar CD I bought. I also purchased, via eBay, what turned out to be a CD-R of a game called "Mist" - at least that's what the person who used hot pink glittery nail varnish to scrawl on the surface thought it was called. Wasn't great, bit samey.

Yeah. And Myst's gameplay is quite different from Monkey Island's, and better suited to gamepads (less UI, slower pace).
The only other one I can think of is Elansar, and it's even a worse comparison: it's been designed right from the start to be played using a gamepad (yet is still more comfortable with a mouse).

#1117 JagChris OFFLINE  

JagChris

River Patroller

• 3,416 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:54 PM

Myst, Elansar, Cannon Fodder, Sydnicate and Theme Park.

#1118 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,800 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:46 PM

As someone who went and bought both Cannon Fodder and Syndicate on Jaguar after playing the Amiga originals. ..

The lack of precision you had with a mouse made for a lot of frustration early on.

Yes, you adjust, but it's never anywhere near as good a set up as using a mouse.

This isn't Jaguar bashing either.

As a PlayStation owner, Xcom, Alien Resurrection, Syndicate Wars, the Command And Conquer games, Dune 2000, Lemmings, Z and more all proved to be far superior experiences with the Playstation mouse.

Lemmings which i had loved on the ST was more frustrating on the Lynx and Game Gear..

And i gave up on N64 Command And Conquer. ...it was horrendous using the N64 stick.

When you take PC/ST/Amiga games designed for a mouse and try and map that precision to a controller, you simply loose so much.

#1119 Zerosquare OFFLINE  

Zerosquare

River Patroller

• 2,584 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:09 PM

Myst, Elansar, Cannon Fodder, Sydnicate and Theme Park.

None of those belong to the point-and-click genre.
Myst and Elansar are puzzle adventure games.
The other three are strategy games.

Edited by Zerosquare, Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:10 PM.

#1120 JagChris OFFLINE  

JagChris

River Patroller

• 3,416 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:43 PM

Welp I guess you're right again. None of those game play control mechanics are in any way relatable.

Someday I'll learn.

#1121 Zerosquare OFFLINE  

Zerosquare

River Patroller

• 2,584 posts

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:56 PM

Someday I'll learn.

If you say so.

#1122 Stage_1_Boss OFFLINE  

Stage_1_Boss

Dragonstomper

• 778 posts
  • The key is in the skull.

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:50 PM

Kind of.. ..on topic?  I love Maniac Mansion on NES, even if mouse / keyboard would make it much easier to control.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users