IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

• 3 weeks later...

These games have been consistently reviewed with high scores and have a huge following, even to this day where a new Dizzy game is currently being made (Wonderful Dizzy)

I've been playign dizzy games since 1987... great games.. Will never stop doing videos of them for my YT channel..

Also, loved Thundercats too!

• Like 2

I like Steel Talons!

Back in I think it must have been '92 or '93 I met a computer programmer in Reading, Berkshire where Atari UK resided. He said to me, "I'm writing Steel Talons for the Falcon". I was quite awe struck.

I have thought about a Jaguar port of this and have even tried mailing the person a while back to ask if there is any existing source code or assets available to use but I am unsure whether they received my mail.

The program runs in 80 column mode on the Falcon (640 pixels horizontal resolution).

I notice that the executable has been stripped of any symbol table.

The falcon DSP is used for calculations for 3D graphics.

To make a decent port of Steel Talons would take a considerable amount of time and effort but it would be interesting to see how the jaguar would perform such a task.

• Like 2

I like Steel Talons!

Back in I think it must have been '92 or '93 I met a computer programmer in Reading, Berkshire where Atari UK resided. He said to me, "I'm writing Steel Talons for the Falcon". I was quite awe struck.

I have thought about a Jaguar port of this and have even tried mailing the person a while back to ask if there is any existing source code or assets available to use but I am unsure whether they received my mail.

The program runs in 80 column mode on the Falcon (640 pixels horizontal resolution).

To make a decent port of Steel Talons would take a considerable amount of time and effort but it would be interesting to see how the jaguar would perform such a task.

That would be tough. Any Falcon030 game would be rough due to the downgrade from the 68030 to the 68000, not to mention having to rework all that the Motorola 56K DSP did. But then again, the Jag's graphics capabilities are beefier...

• Like 1

Double posting just in case my question was on the wrong thread: Am I missing something? (For Star Wars) The Ports thread shows "Atari Age Thread" for the rom and then that thread shows "roms in the Ports thread." I found most of the others... but this one and a few others seem to have a circular reference. lol.

I like Steel Talons!

I like Steel Talons too! Strangely, not many people do though.

• 2 weeks later...

Robocop... I, II or III ? :D

Robocop 1 would be lovely. Robocop 2 would be nice as well. Robocop 3 ... it's hard to want that one, even from a completionist standpoint.

The NES versions of RoboCop aren't the greatest either.. but, I have to own all three out of respect to RoboCop lol

I watched the Prime Directives miniseries recently for the same reason. ;)

• Like 1

Robocop 1 would be lovely. Robocop 2 would be nice as well. Robocop 3 ... it's hard to want that one, even from a completionist standpoint.

And Robocop 3 is the best one, in my opinion at least. Great 3d engine (DID rocks), nice graphics, variation in game styles.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not to stir the pot but everyone's least favorite online living example of a walking personification of pathological lying and weaponized autism attacked all of these conversions, AtariAge, and Cyrano Jones in multiple postings in one of the Atari 8-bit groups on Facebook last week. The other moderators kindly removed the lying individual's moronic comments.

It was most unfortunate to not have grabbed screen captures of the hilariously stupid comments but in summary, they spoke to how *all* ST-to-Jaguar conversions are [allegedly] piracy, how the Jaguar scene is a waste of time [because Atari 8-bit is where it's at!], how Sloth himself called out Cyrano Jones, how there's far more demand for commercial Atari 8-bit game cartridges than there is for commercial 5200 game cartridges, and how Video61 *totally* outsells AtariAge... :)

Seriously, how hard is it for a third-party to get someone institutionalized in the UK? Do we need to set up a Kickstarter/GoFundMe/Patreon to get this done?

• Like 7

Yeah, never understood the hate. If people want to release conversions of hames that are nit being sold anymore, then why care?

Though I guess there is the point that a lot more 5200 and Atari 8bit systems overall were sold than the Jaguar, the Jag is some weird and unique hardware, and the last of Atari.

• Like 1

Yeah, never understood the hate. If people want to release conversions of hames that are nit being sold anymore, then why care?

Though I guess there is the point that a lot more 5200 and Atari 8bit systems overall were sold than the Jaguar, the Jag is some weird and unique hardware, and the last of Atari.

I think even though there were more Atari 8-bits and 5200s sold than the Jag, the idea of collecting consoles was firmly established by the time the Jag died so there might be more "preserved" and out in the wild today than there are 5200s, or even some of the older Atari 8-bits. But homeslice is beyond being high thinking a commercial homebrew game on cartridge for the Atari 8-bit computer line would outsell the same title on cart for the 5200. The 5200 is a console; consoles for cartridges will always outsell cartridges for computers. By his logic, one would think there'd be a ton of homebrew game cartridges released for the C64 because it allegedly still has a larger active retro user base than A8, yet hardly any carts are released for it...

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 1

I think even though there were more Atari 8-bits and 5200s sold than the Jag, the idea of collecting consoles was firmly established by the time the Jag died so there might be more "preserved" and out in the wild today than there are 5200s, or even some of the older Atari 8-bits. But homeslice is beyond being high thinking a commercial homebrew game on cartridge for the Atari 8-bit computer line would outsell the same title on cart for the 5200. The 5200 is a console; consoles for cartridges will always outsell cartridges for computers. By his logic, one would think there'd be a ton of homebrew game cartridges released for the C64 because it allegedly still has a larger active retro user base than A8, yet hardly any carts are released for it...

Oh, I agree. Cartridges never sold that well on the computers. Computer lines all had tape/disk drives that were capable of more than what cartridges could be.

I think I read somewhere that the 5200 sold around 2 million? if that were the case, that's still like 8 times as many as the Jag (reportedly around 250,000?)

• Like 2

@Lynxpro:Phillip Oliver of the Oliver Twins was made aware of the false accusations labelled at them not having the rights to grant permission for ST Treasure Island Dizzy ported to the Jaguar and he was kind enough to set the record straight...

I won't publically quote him, suffice to say he was not happy about the situation and would like to make clear it's an 100% legal release (just as the Cinemaware release on Jaguar is as are the titles Piko Interactive release..These fallen foul to the same false accusations by same individual ) .

Plus a large donation was given to charity.

• Like 3

@Lynxpro:Phillip Oliver of the Oliver Twins was made aware of the false accusations labelled at them not having the rights to grant permission for ST Treasure Island Dizzy ported to the Jaguar and he was kind enough to set the record straight...

I won't publically quote him, suffice to say he was not happy about the situation and would like to make clear it's an 100% legal release (just as the Cinemaware release on Jaguar is as are the titles Piko Interactive release..These fallen foul to the same false accusations by same individual ) .

Plus a large donation was given to charity.

Aside from the above, one more thing to add regarding this individual is he also doesn't seem to understand how charity donations should work.

• Like 3