Photo

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

1380 replies to this topic

#1201 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,445 posts

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:05 PM

Nobody in the ST scene cares unless its brown, textured and moving at 3fps.

Maybe they'd port supercross?

Ha.  Oids was actually updated to use the Jagpad, and runs awesome with it.  Maybe port that version to the Jaguar?  Wonder how many of the extra levels you could fit on a cartridge?

#1202 Lynxpro OFFLINE  

Lynxpro

River Patroller

• 3,740 posts

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:31 PM

Space Junk was intended for the Falcon and Mega CD initially and appeared on neither.

Then annouced for Jaguar CD and we have Martin Hooley's version of events as to why it never appeared and on the other end of the spectrum Atari's internal documentation explaining why they took it off the release schedule..

Steel Talons would of worked far better on Jaguar,frame rate wise than the Lynx or Genesis versions turned out.

It would of been nice to of had the real "heli-mode" put into a Jaguar version, as it offered the more realistic flight dynamics of a Blackhawk 67 Helicopter.

Imagitec worked on the unreleased Falcon version of Raiden, Colin Jackson and Nigel Conroy etc.

Road Riot 4WD?

The documents for Lynx and 7800 versions were shared online a while ago.

Not a game i am personally fond of on any format, as it's not my type of thing.

How well a Jaguar version would of been received, i leave to others ;-)

Space Junk didn't get released for the Falcon030?

Steel Talons was released for the Falcon030. So was Road Riot 4WD. I loved it in the arcades. It would've been great on the Jag had it used the JagLink/CatBox/etc. 

#1203 Lynxpro OFFLINE  

Lynxpro

River Patroller

• 3,740 posts

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:36 PM

Ha.  Oids was actually updated to use the Jagpad, and runs awesome with it.  Maybe port that version to the Jaguar?  Wonder how many of the extra levels you could fit on a cartridge?

Really?  Someone patched it?  I'd love to see more ST games patched to use the ST PowerPads/JagPads. Seems like such a no-brainer and it would certainly improve modern retro gaming on the platform for anyone with STe and Falcon030s.

#1204 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,445 posts

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:03 PM

Really?  Someone patched it?  I'd love to see more ST games patched to use the ST PowerPads/JagPads. Seems like such a no-brainer and it would certainly improve modern retro gaming on the platform for anyone with STe and Falcon030s.

http://atari-forum.c... jagpad#p320657

Awesome mod.  He seemed to get kind of bummed out that not as many people were testing it as he wanted.  So pipe into that thread and test?  Ran great when I tried it on my 1040 STe.  060 in the Falcon made it freak out, but that's why I have a switch to swap between that and the 030.

#1205 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,445 posts

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2018 9:25 AM

Oh, it looks like Vroom was the other one he did.  http://atari.8bitchip.info/SCRSH/vrooms.html http://atari.8bitchi...SCRSH/oids.html

#1206 Lynxpro OFFLINE  

Lynxpro

River Patroller

• 3,740 posts

Posted Fri Nov 2, 2018 7:20 AM

The link to Vroom didn't work. I looked it up. There isn't any notation of it working with the JagPad, just that it has Mouse/Joystick control. Unless I'm missing something...

#1207 slx OFFLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• 1,880 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 6:24 AM

Wow, never noticed this thread before. Need to take some vacation to play through all of this....

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

#1208 zeropolis79 OFFLINE  

zeropolis79

Chopper Commander

• 204 posts
  • The Wind Waker

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:44 AM

These games have been consistently reviewed with high scores and have a huge following, even to this day where a new Dizzy game is currently being made (Wonderful Dizzy)

I've been playign dizzy games since 1987... great games.. Will never stop doing videos of them for my YT channel..

Also, loved Thundercats too!

#1209 joeyaage OFFLINE  

joeyaage

Star Raider

• 66 posts

Posted Tue Dec 4, 2018 2:27 AM

I like Steel Talons!
Back in I think it must have been '92 or '93 I met a computer programmer in Reading, Berkshire where Atari UK resided. He said to me, "I'm writing Steel Talons for the Falcon". I was quite awe struck.
I have thought about a Jaguar port of this and have even tried mailing the person a while back to ask if there is any existing source code or assets available to use but I am unsure whether they received my mail.
The program runs in 80 column mode on the Falcon (640 pixels horizontal resolution).
I notice that the executable has been stripped of any symbol table.
The falcon DSP is used for calculations for 3D graphics.
To make a decent port of Steel Talons would take a considerable amount of time and effort but it would be interesting to see how the jaguar would perform such a task.

#1210 Lynxpro OFFLINE  

Lynxpro

River Patroller

• 3,740 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 1:34 AM

I like Steel Talons!
Back in I think it must have been '92 or '93 I met a computer programmer in Reading, Berkshire where Atari UK resided. He said to me, "I'm writing Steel Talons for the Falcon". I was quite awe struck.
I have thought about a Jaguar port of this and have even tried mailing the person a while back to ask if there is any existing source code or assets available to use but I am unsure whether they received my mail.
The program runs in 80 column mode on the Falcon (640 pixels horizontal resolution).
To make a decent port of Steel Talons would take a considerable amount of time and effort but it would be interesting to see how the jaguar would perform such a task.

That would be tough. Any Falcon030 game would be rough due to the downgrade from the 68030 to the 68000, not to mention having to rework all that the Motorola 56K DSP did. But then again, the Jag's graphics capabilities are beefier...

#1211 Tominator OFFLINE  

Tominator

Space Invader

• 24 posts

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:36 PM

Double posting just in case my question was on the wrong thread:  Am I missing something?  (For Star Wars) The Ports thread shows "Atari Age Thread" for the rom and then that thread shows "roms in the Ports thread."  I found most of the others... but this one and a few others seem to have a circular reference.  lol. 

#1212 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

RAPTOR Wrangler

• Topic Starter
  • 5,864 posts
  • reBOOTed

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:24 PM

This is the ports thread you are looking for. It's in here, somewhere.

#1213 Christos OFFLINE  

Christos

Stargunner

• 1,053 posts

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:46 AM

I like Steel Talons!

I like Steel Talons too! Strangely, not many people do though.

#1214 chicgamer OFFLINE  

chicgamer

Dragonstomper

• 599 posts

Posted Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:38 AM

Have you considered porting Robocop from the ST? That's one game that I would definitely love to have on a cart.

Probably not the best the ST has to offer, but ... it's Robocop!

#1215 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

RAPTOR Wrangler

• Topic Starter
  • 5,864 posts
  • reBOOTed

Posted Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:46 PM

Have you considered porting Robocop from the ST?

Robocop... I, II or III ? :D

#1216 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

RAPTOR Wrangler

• Topic Starter
  • 5,864 posts
  • reBOOTed

Posted Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:04 AM

Updated first post with links to the ROMs or where to purchase... there's more games to add (Custodian, Switchblade, Defender of the Crown, Loopz, etc) but that is enough for today. The AA search engine must be exhausted after that.

#1217 Stage_1_Boss OFFLINE  

Stage_1_Boss

Dragonstomper

• 955 posts
  • The key is in the skull.

Posted Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:47 AM

Have you considered porting Robocop from the ST? That's one game that I would definitely love to have on a cart.

Probably not the best the ST has to offer, but ... it's Robocop!

The NES versions of RoboCop aren't the greatest either.. but, I have to own all three out of respect to RoboCop lol

#1218 chicgamer OFFLINE  

chicgamer

Dragonstomper

• 599 posts

Posted Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:53 AM

Robocop... I, II or III ? :D

Robocop 1 would be lovely. Robocop 2 would be nice as well. Robocop 3 ... it's hard to want that one, even from a completionist standpoint.

The NES versions of RoboCop aren't the greatest either.. but, I have to own all three out of respect to RoboCop lol

I watched the Prime Directives miniseries recently for the same reason. ;)

#1219 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

RAPTOR Wrangler

• Topic Starter
  • 5,864 posts
  • reBOOTed

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:37 AM

It will be Christmas Day here in 53 minutes, was going to wait but what is such a short span of seconds between friends?

Attached File  ActionFighter-Skunk.rom   2MB   93 downloads

Attached File  BuggyBoy-skunk.rom   1MB   96 downloads

Attached File  MrHeli-skunk.rom   2MB   93 downloads

All the best, and have a great holiday, whatever, whoever, or no-ever you celebrate.

#1220 Saturn OFFLINE  

Saturn

River Patroller

• 3,637 posts
  • Pillar of the Jaguar Community

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:45 AM

Thank you and Merry Christmas :)

#1221 af0l OFFLINE  

af0l

Moonsweeper

• 279 posts

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:49 AM

All the best right back at you all!

#1222 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 3,831 posts

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:56 AM

It's been a fantastic year just watching all the new Jaguar releases from the sidelines.

A heartfelt thank you and very merry Xmas to all involved.

#1223 Christos OFFLINE  

Christos

Stargunner

• 1,053 posts

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:22 AM

Robocop 1 would be lovely. Robocop 2 would be nice as well. Robocop 3 ... it's hard to want that one, even from a completionist standpoint.

And Robocop 3 is the best one, in my opinion at least. Great 3d engine (DID rocks), nice graphics, variation in game styles.

#1224 Kal OFFLINE  

Kal

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Sat Jan 5, 2019 10:29 AM

It will be Christmas Day here in 53 minutes, was going to wait but what is such a short span of seconds between friends?

ActionFighter-Skunk.rom
BuggyBoy-skunk.rom
MrHeli-skunk.rom

All the best, and have a great holiday, whatever, whoever, or no-ever you celebrate.

Wow just came on this morning to see this. Thank you so much. Hope you had a great Christmas and New Year.

#1225 Lynxpro OFFLINE  

Lynxpro

River Patroller

• 3,740 posts

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:19 PM

Not to stir the pot but everyone's least favorite online living example of a walking personification of pathological lying and weaponized autism attacked all of these conversions, AtariAge, and Cyrano Jones in multiple postings in one of the Atari 8-bit groups on Facebook last week. The other moderators kindly removed the lying individual's moronic comments. 

It was most unfortunate to not have grabbed screen captures of the hilariously stupid comments but in summary, they spoke to how *all* ST-to-Jaguar conversions are [allegedly] piracy, how the Jaguar scene is a waste of time [because Atari 8-bit is where it's at!], how Sloth himself called out Cyrano Jones, how there's far more demand for commercial Atari 8-bit game cartridges than there is for commercial 5200 game cartridges, and how Video61 *totally* outsells AtariAge...  :)

Seriously, how hard is it for a third-party to get someone institutionalized in the UK? Do we need to set up a Kickstarter/GoFundMe/Patreon to get this done?  

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users