Photo

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

1212 replies to this topic

#1201 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,309 posts

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:05 PM

Nobody in the ST scene cares unless its brown, textured and moving at 3fps.

Maybe they'd port supercross?

Ha.  Oids was actually updated to use the Jagpad, and runs awesome with it.  Maybe port that version to the Jaguar?  Wonder how many of the extra levels you could fit on a cartridge?

#1202 Lynxpro OFFLINE  

Lynxpro

River Patroller

• 3,659 posts

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:31 PM

Space Junk was intended for the Falcon and Mega CD initially and appeared on neither.

Then annouced for Jaguar CD and we have Martin Hooley's version of events as to why it never appeared and on the other end of the spectrum Atari's internal documentation explaining why they took it off the release schedule..

Steel Talons would of worked far better on Jaguar,frame rate wise than the Lynx or Genesis versions turned out.

It would of been nice to of had the real "heli-mode" put into a Jaguar version, as it offered the more realistic flight dynamics of a Blackhawk 67 Helicopter.

Imagitec worked on the unreleased Falcon version of Raiden, Colin Jackson and Nigel Conroy etc.

Road Riot 4WD?

The documents for Lynx and 7800 versions were shared online a while ago.

Not a game i am personally fond of on any format, as it's not my type of thing.

How well a Jaguar version would of been received, i leave to others ;-)

Space Junk didn't get released for the Falcon030?

Steel Talons was released for the Falcon030. So was Road Riot 4WD. I loved it in the arcades. It would've been great on the Jag had it used the JagLink/CatBox/etc. 

#1203 Lynxpro OFFLINE  

Lynxpro

River Patroller

• 3,659 posts

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:36 PM

Ha.  Oids was actually updated to use the Jagpad, and runs awesome with it.  Maybe port that version to the Jaguar?  Wonder how many of the extra levels you could fit on a cartridge?

Really?  Someone patched it?  I'd love to see more ST games patched to use the ST PowerPads/JagPads. Seems like such a no-brainer and it would certainly improve modern retro gaming on the platform for anyone with STe and Falcon030s.

#1204 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,309 posts

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:03 PM

Really?  Someone patched it?  I'd love to see more ST games patched to use the ST PowerPads/JagPads. Seems like such a no-brainer and it would certainly improve modern retro gaming on the platform for anyone with STe and Falcon030s.

http://atari-forum.c... jagpad#p320657

Awesome mod.  He seemed to get kind of bummed out that not as many people were testing it as he wanted.  So pipe into that thread and test?  Ran great when I tried it on my 1040 STe.  060 in the Falcon made it freak out, but that's why I have a switch to swap between that and the 030.

#1205 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,309 posts

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2018 9:25 AM

Oh, it looks like Vroom was the other one he did.  http://atari.8bitchip.info/SCRSH/vrooms.html http://atari.8bitchi...SCRSH/oids.html

#1206 Lynxpro OFFLINE  

Lynxpro

River Patroller

• 3,659 posts

Posted Fri Nov 2, 2018 7:20 AM

The link to Vroom didn't work. I looked it up. There isn't any notation of it working with the JagPad, just that it has Mouse/Joystick control. Unless I'm missing something...

#1207 slx OFFLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• 1,602 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 6:24 AM

Wow, never noticed this thread before. Need to take some vacation to play through all of this....

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

#1208 zeropolis79 OFFLINE  

zeropolis79

Chopper Commander

• 192 posts
  • The Wind Waker

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:44 AM

These games have been consistently reviewed with high scores and have a huge following, even to this day where a new Dizzy game is currently being made (Wonderful Dizzy)

I've been playign dizzy games since 1987... great games.. Will never stop doing videos of them for my YT channel..

Also, loved Thundercats too!

#1209 joeyaage OFFLINE  

joeyaage

Space Invader

• 45 posts

Posted Tue Dec 4, 2018 2:27 AM

I like Steel Talons!
Back in I think it must have been '92 or '93 I met a computer programmer in Reading, Berkshire where Atari UK resided. He said to me, "I'm writing Steel Talons for the Falcon". I was quite awe struck.
I have thought about a Jaguar port of this and have even tried mailing the person a while back to ask if there is any existing source code or assets available to use but I am unsure whether they received my mail.
The program runs in 80 column mode on the Falcon (640 pixels horizontal resolution).
I notice that the executable has been stripped of any symbol table.
The falcon DSP is used for calculations for 3D graphics.
To make a decent port of Steel Talons would take a considerable amount of time and effort but it would be interesting to see how the jaguar would perform such a task.

#1210 Lynxpro OFFLINE  

Lynxpro

River Patroller

• 3,659 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 1:34 AM

I like Steel Talons!
Back in I think it must have been '92 or '93 I met a computer programmer in Reading, Berkshire where Atari UK resided. He said to me, "I'm writing Steel Talons for the Falcon". I was quite awe struck.
I have thought about a Jaguar port of this and have even tried mailing the person a while back to ask if there is any existing source code or assets available to use but I am unsure whether they received my mail.
The program runs in 80 column mode on the Falcon (640 pixels horizontal resolution).
To make a decent port of Steel Talons would take a considerable amount of time and effort but it would be interesting to see how the jaguar would perform such a task.

That would be tough. Any Falcon030 game would be rough due to the downgrade from the 68030 to the 68000, not to mention having to rework all that the Motorola 56K DSP did. But then again, the Jag's graphics capabilities are beefier...

#1211 Tominator OFFLINE  

Tominator

Space Invader

• 24 posts

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:36 PM

Double posting just in case my question was on the wrong thread:  Am I missing something?  (For Star Wars) The Ports thread shows "Atari Age Thread" for the rom and then that thread shows "roms in the Ports thread."  I found most of the others... but this one and a few others seem to have a circular reference.  lol. 

#1212 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,547 posts
  • RAPTOR in LOCAL

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:24 PM

This is the ports thread you are looking for. It's in here, somewhere.

#1213 Christos OFFLINE  

Christos

Stargunner

• 1,031 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:46 AM

I like Steel Talons!

I like Steel Talons too! Strangely, not many people do though.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users