Photo

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

1354 replies to this topic

#1351 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 3,738 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:36 AM

You can find examples of Tiertex paying coders and artists the same to port ST code etc to the Amiga as they would writing a game from ground up for the Amiga, hence so many ST ports by them, despite the superior hardware.

HMS software saying that whilst development was underway on Awesome Golf on Lynx, price of 2 Meg carts fell, so Atari gave them a bigger cartridge and thus they improved the game in terms of graphics and presentation, but Atari was not going to pay for the extra coding.

If your paid to produce a game within set parameters (deadlines espically) and getting more from hardware offers no extra fincial reward, then there is little to no incentive to do so.

#1352 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 3,738 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:41 AM

Changing colours on a scanline is simple, that gives you a different 16 colours in one row of 320 pixels.  If you want more than 16 within a single scanline then you need to swap colours partway along a scanline rendering.. That's another timer, and occurring at a higher frequency, and with more precision needed.  Each palette swap is CPU resource used up, and if the CPU is meant to be busy doing everything else, it's going to impact you elsewhere.

When porting a game to the ST, I'd imagine a lot of the teams working on it were on tight deadlines, they would have been working toward a specific launch date and maintaining a specific amount of playability.  If they are not being paid to make the game achieve specific goals why would they bother?  So no one is going to strive to push the best out of a target platform for free (back in the day of getting paid to do this :) )  I am sure there are the odd edge cases where someone has, but on the most part I'd imagine not.

I often heard that the STe was too little too late.  If the STe had been released instead of the ST, or a year or two after the initial ST launch, maybe it would have mattered.

It's the most common answer you get when you bring the issue up with coders and artists who either continued to work on the ST or had abandoned it in favour of the Amiga.

The STE simply arrived far too late to have any meaningful impact, Amiga was lead format, had the bigger user base at this point, Amiga games outselling ST versions by ratios of 5-1 if not more and the STE hardware itself wasn't even what Atari had promised.

#1353 Stage_1_Boss ONLINE  

Stage_1_Boss

Dragonstomper

• 928 posts
  • The key is in the skull.

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:44 AM

Sorry if this is sidetracking this thread to chit-chat about Atari ST things, but was Arachnophobia any good on Atari ST?  I know I liked it on DOS way back when, but I only have 5 1/4" disks now and no way to install them on my modern setup.

#1354 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 3,738 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:24 AM

Sorry if this is sidetracking this thread to chit-chat about Atari ST things, but was Arachnophobia any good on Atari ST?  I know I liked it on DOS way back when, but I only have 5 1/4" disks now and no way to install them on my modern setup.

Review here:
https://www.atarileg...0&review_id=129

#1355 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

RAPTOR Wrangler

• Topic Starter
  • 5,755 posts
  • reBOOTed

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:28 AM

Interesting, never heard of it before.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users