Super SpartaDOS Cartridges Pre-order

61 replies to this topic

#1 Dropcheck ONLINE  

Dropcheck

Stargunner

• 1,086 posts

Posted Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:35 PM

Hi Everyone,

The day has finally arrived.  I am ready to announce the pre-order option for the Super SpartaDOS cartridges. 

I am trying something a little different than before.  This time I will have my website track orders and addresses and such.  That means you will have to create an account on my site if you have not already done so.  Sorry.   ;-)   But like before if the sold number doesn't reach the make mark(25 of 50), I will refund all monies.   I will give the order window 30 days.  That should be enough.

Ordering will go live at 7am CST this Sunday Dec 13, 2015

A maximium of two per version per order will be allowed to give the most people ability to purchase.  

ABBUC Members:

I have added the option to reserve copies.  Please only use that if you are a ABBUC member.  This allows me time to confirm your active membership and add in the discount without you losing your order.  It is good for 1 week time.   Please do not complete your order until you receive notice from me to do so. 

There is a contact tab on both product pages.  If you have any questions please use that email address and put 'SpartaDOS Pre-order' in the subject line.  I will answer as soon as possible.

For those in Europe shipping will come directly from Panos to save some on your shipping costs.  Take note of the shipping options in your cart and do not use the USPS ones.   

Edited by Dropcheck, Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:36 PM.

#2 Stephen J. Carden OFFLINE  

Stephen J. Carden

Chopper Commander

• 247 posts

Posted Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:00 PM

I want one

#3 bugbiter OFFLINE  

bugbiter

Moonsweeper

• 258 posts

Posted Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:04 AM

One Cartridge please!

#4 Dropcheck ONLINE  

Dropcheck

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,086 posts

Posted Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:42 AM

Order window is now open. :D

Please go to my site to order your version.  www.bitsofthepast.com

#5 Larry OFFLINE  

Larry

River Patroller

• 3,816 posts

Posted Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:22 AM

Tin contacts on the production version?

-Larry

#6 Dropcheck ONLINE  

Dropcheck

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,086 posts

Posted Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:27 AM

Tin contacts on the production version?

-Larry

Production will be ENIG

Electroless nickel immersion gold (ENIG) is a type of surface plating used for printed circuit boards. It consists of an electroless nickel plating covered with a thin layer of immersion gold, which protects the nickel from oxidation.

#7 Dropcheck ONLINE  

Dropcheck

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,086 posts

Posted Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:22 PM

Current order status:

Paid for:

10 SuperSpartaDOS Cartridges

3 SuperSpartaDOS PCBs

Reserved but not yet paid for:

5 SuperSpartaDOS Cartridges

1 SuperSpartaDOS PCB

Check your emails  ABBUC members,  I have responded to at least two members with further instructions.  ;-)

#8 rdea6 OFFLINE  

rdea6

River Patroller

• 2,515 posts

Posted Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:30 PM

My check out is only showing the PCB..

And do I pay now or after you notify me.

abbuc member..

#9 Dropcheck ONLINE  

Dropcheck

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,086 posts

Posted Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:02 PM

My check out is only showing the PCB..

And do I pay now or after you notify me.

abbuc member..

Check your email.  ;-)

#10 vazquezrick OFFLINE  

vazquezrick

Chopper Commander

• 184 posts

Posted Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:19 AM

Hello all,

Is this cart different than what is already in the Ultimate 1MB?

#11 Dropcheck ONLINE  

Dropcheck

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,086 posts

Posted Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:42 AM

Hello all,

Is this cart different than what is already in the Ultimate 1MB?

I understand the Ultimate 1MB also has upto four slots that you can program for various program software as well as an RTC option.  It's a case of apples and oranges. 

This cart gives you an RTC and the ability to physically swap an external cart for another along with SpartaDOS capability.  It is also easily moved from one Atari machine to another, unlike the Ultimate 1MB, since it is self-contained.  ;-)  

#12 Dropcheck ONLINE  

Dropcheck

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,086 posts

Posted Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:50 AM

Update:

ABBUC members:

I have removed the reserved option from the website.  The plugin I was using was not working as advertised and creating more problems than it was solving. 

Going forward you will need to email me at admin@bitsofthepast.com

I will need your ABBUC membership id#, email address and what you are wanting to purchase.

I will send you an emailed cart when I can confirm with Wolfgang your membership.  So far he has been very quick in responding to my requests to confirm membership.  Thank you Wolfgang.

#13 ryanmercer OFFLINE  

ryanmercer

Moonsweeper

• 420 posts

Posted Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:28 AM

Quick question, how easy is the cartridge to take apart (re: it not liking atari carts on top). Just a screw? I'd prefer to have the cart for general protection of the PCB but if it's going to be a pit of a pain to take apart I'll just go with the pcb.

#14 Dropcheck ONLINE  

Dropcheck

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,086 posts

Posted Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:54 AM

Quick question, how easy is the cartridge to take apart (re: it not liking atari carts on top). Just a screw? I'd prefer to have the cart for general protection of the PCB but if it's going to be a pit of a pain to take apart I'll just go with the pcb.

If you have the original SpartaDOS cartridge shell then buying the pcb is better.   Pop open your SpartaDOS cartridge, pull out the original pcb and then insert the new version.  Snap the two halves together and go. 

A screw will be used to secure the halves of the KM-20.  I think Panos is also looking at using a glue, not cement, but glue on the sides of the cart to provide that extra stability for the connector.  You will be able to separate the two halves, but it won't be as easy.  :(

#15 Dropcheck ONLINE  

Dropcheck

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,086 posts

Posted Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:12 AM

Current Status Update:

Paid for

SuperSpartaDOS Cartridge                  13   (12 more paid needed to make)

SuperSpartaDOS PCB                            4   (21 more paid needed to make :(  )

Reserved but not paid for

SuperSpartaDOS Cartridge                    4

#16 ryanmercer OFFLINE  

ryanmercer

Moonsweeper

• 420 posts

Posted Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:23 AM

Current Status Update:

Paid for

SuperSpartaDOS Cartridge                  13   (12 more paid needed to make)

SuperSpartaDOS PCB                            4   (21 more paid needed to make :(  )

Ermmm... technically you have 17 of the PCB's not 4, since the 13 cartridges are going to be using the PCB's and not imagination, correct?

#17 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,369 posts

Posted Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:41 AM

Ermmm... technically you have 17 of the PCB's not 4, since the 13 cartridges are going to be using the PCB's and not imagination, correct?

The pre-enclosed carts use a different PCB design to those destined for the original enclosure.

#18 gozar OFFLINE  

gozar

Dragonstomper

• 748 posts

Posted Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:27 PM

The pre-enclosed carts use a different PCB design to those destined for the original enclosure.

Is there a reason the PCB is different for both versions? 

#19 Dropcheck ONLINE  

Dropcheck

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,086 posts

Posted Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:41 PM

Is there a reason the PCB is different for both versions? 

Different shells.  Different pcbs

#20 gozar OFFLINE  

gozar

Dragonstomper

• 748 posts

Posted Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:48 PM

Different shells.  Different pcbs

But why different shells? Couldn't you just make a replica of the SDX cart shell and use the same PCB for all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 Joey Z OFFLINE  

Joey Z

Dragonstomper

• 855 posts

Posted Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:16 PM

Couldn't you just make a replica of the SDX cart shell

It'd be great if it were as easy as that sounds.

#22 rdea6 OFFLINE  

rdea6

River Patroller

• 2,515 posts

Posted Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:23 PM

It'd be great if it were as easy as that sounds.

Or as inexpensive as the current PCB and Shell is..  I use to machine plastic injection molds and the cost just for some molds would barely be paid off before the product line was history..

#23 gozar OFFLINE  

gozar

Dragonstomper

• 748 posts

Posted Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:12 PM

But when you're already creating a shell, why not create the shell the same size as the SDX cart so you only have one PCB to worry about?

#24 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,369 posts

Posted Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:11 PM

But when you're already creating a shell, why not create the shell the same size as the SDX cart so you only have one PCB to worry about?

The cart shell matter is a long-running saga of compromises and disappointed 1200XL owners. :) The commonly available European cart shells bear little resemblance to the Atari/AtariMax shells, but there's simply no affordable alternative at the moment.

#25 Dropcheck ONLINE  

Dropcheck

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,086 posts

Posted Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:21 PM

I am not creating a new shell here, just modifying an existing one for this use. 

In the future I hope to create a 3d printable shell that would have the same look and feel as the original.  I am still learning the ins and outs of 3d solid modaling.  But right now there is no economical way for me to mass produce the shell short of making it available on shapeway etc.  Hardly a one stop shop solution and given the size of plastic needed not very inexpensive either.  :(

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users