IGNORED

Edladdin Controllers - Announcements for 2016

edladdin

Hi Everyone!

We are coming up on the end of the year, so I wanted to write a post here to make some announcements about our adapters, controllers, and plans for the future.

Its been a remarkable 14 months since I made the first announcement about our launch in these forums, with dozens of 7800 controllers and more than 100 Seagull 78 adapters shipped to customers all over the world. I've met so many great people, both online and in person at live events, from small club meetings to huge classic game expos. Its been great - exceeding my expectations in almost every dimension!

Over the course of the last year we have made some adjustments to the construction of the controllers and some exciting advancements:

• In the Super 78 and SuperTwin 78, during the year we abandon use of the inexpensive Zippyy 8-way joystick in favor of the rock solid Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT with the octagonal inserts in the restrictor plates. The Sanwas are almost triple the price of the Zippyys, but they are superior in every regard. Likewise, the octagonal inserts are a wonderful compromise over a simple 8-way plate, as you have a vertices in all four cardinal directions and in all four corners. Without those octagonal inserts, the 4-way games were not that much fun when using a Super 78 or SuperTwin 78.
  • We switched from using spade connectors on the stick and button micro and leaf switches to soldering and shrink-tubing all connections. Too many of the spades were vibrating loose in transit. The trade-off will be a slightly more difficult swap of switches if the originals ever wear out, but I decided it would be worth it for the flawless connections delivered in the meantime.
  • Our brilliant designer, Bill Reeves, put together some amazing side art for the Super 78s and SuperTwin 78s. During the course of this year, Bill retired from the university where we first met and is taking on more solo projects, so if any of you need some world-class visual design services, PM me and I will put you in touch.
  • We are well on our way to the launch of a line-up of controllers and controller-adapters for the Colecovision! All of these products will work with either/both the classic 1982 Colecovision console and the Flashback Colecovision console released last year. We plan to Kickstart the whole line beginning on Tuesday, January 19, 2016, which is much more expensive than any of the 7800 products because of the microprocessor PCB that drives controller translation, purchase of customized membrane keypads, and several other items needed to bring these to the finish line. Willie Culver recently reviewed our working prototype of the "Super Arcade Controller Plus" - a combination controller and adapter - on his Colecovisions channel at YouTube.
  • We are very close to launching a line of USB controllers for the emulation community. At this point, we are looking at a 3 button version of the All-Play and All-Leaf "Supreme" controllers with the 18" oak case and pressed steel control panel, a 6 button version of the "Super" controllers in the 14" aluminum case, and a 4 button version with a membrane keypad in the 14" aluminum case for the Colecovision.

The much less exciting news is:

• On January 4, 2016, we will be raising the price of the Super 78 from $109.00 to $119.00. The upgrade to the Sanwa joystick makes this increase a necessity.
  • Also on January 4, we will be unplugging the AtariAge discount coupons that so many of you have utilized. I originally hoped that these coupons could live on indefinitely, but over the last 14 months we have developed a much clearer picture of how much it costs to build these products and its not feasible to continue with the coupons. I feel quite badly about changing direction on this, but I hope you understand. The coupons will remain live for three more weeks to facilitate any final discounted purchases.

Once again, thanks to everyone who supported us in 2014 and 2015 by making a purchase, writing a review, posting a video, or sending me a private message telling me much fun you and your families have been having with one of our products. Each of these is a jewel and very meaningful to me. I also have to give special deep thanks to the podcasters who have supported Edladdin on their shows and behind the scenes - Willie Culver, Ferg, Phil the No Swear Gamer, Brad Arnold from ANTIC, and Patrick and Preston from Gameroom Junkies. And last but not least, to Albert for providing this stage and making all of this possible. Thank you!!!

Best wishes to all of you! I hope the holidays and the new year to come are filled with joy and good health for you and your families.

Ed

post-40253-0-36163400-1450228836_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-44375600-1450228854_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-59042900-1450229715_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-56135700-1450229718_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

You'll also be getting a shout-out from the Pie Factory Podcast with the episode that's going to be released any minute. :)

Awesome, thank you! I've gotten hooked on the PFP here in the last couple months thanks to the crosstalk with Ferg and Phil. Anyone that can squeeze the magic phrase AND my beloved "Mr. Do" into one bumper is a winner in my book! :-)

• Like 2

your products are second to none - I implore you next year to roll out the ultimate 5200 controller!

Back in the spring I finally replaced my childhood 4-port 5200 with a 2-porter from ebay and I am itching to ditch these CX-52s, so the Edladdin "Super 52" is definitely next on the list after the Coleco and USB controllers get off the ground. The supply of membrane keypads that come with the Coleco project will simply the construction of 5200 controller prototypes.

Thank heaven for Dan Kramer's Trak-Ball in the meantime!

• Like 1

I have been playing with mine for over a year. Wait, that didn't come out right. I have been playing with my joystick for over a year and love it. Still doesn't sound nice. I have one of Ed's Super's and it is tops! Thanks. Whewww!

LOL! What you do with your controller is no one's business! :-)

I sent a pm to you edladdin the other day . Waiting to hear back from you .

Sorry for the delay! I was out of town when your PM came in.

I'm headed out to the shop right now to build a SuperTwin 78 for a guy, so I'm going to take a hard look at whether or not I can squeeze both pairs of buttons in there horizontally. I've had a couple requests for this configuration.

Back in the spring I finally replaced my childhood 4-port 5200 with a 2-porter from ebay and I am itching to ditch these CX-52s, so the Edladdin "Super 52" is definitely next on the list after the Coleco and USB controllers get off the ground. The supply of membrane keypads that come with the Coleco project will simply the construction of 5200 controller prototypes.

Thank heaven for Dan Kramer's Trak-Ball in the meantime!

No kidding. feel free to go berserk though and add a trak-ball to the setup!

• Like 2

Sorry for the delay! I was out of town when your PM came in.

I'm headed out to the shop right now to build a SuperTwin 78 for a guy, so I'm going to take a hard look at whether or not I can squeeze both pairs of buttons in there horizontally. I've had a couple requests for this configuration.

Ok , you can play any other game with this controller ?? That is why I would want the buttons similiar to the other . Otherwise it would be too hard to push both buttons if they are positioned the way they are imo .

I sent a pm to you edladdin the other day . Waiting to hear back from you .

The SuperTwin 78 with horizontal buttons IS do-able, but it sure will be a tight squeeze! For comparison, here's a layout drawing and a regular SuperTwin 78 that I made this evening.

If anyone wants this, just order a SuperTwin 78 like usual and make a note in the "comments" field that you want the horizontal button orientation.

post-40253-0-02704900-1450758784_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-24873400-1450758846_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

If building an arcade controller for the 5200 wouldn't it be best (if possible) to make it a self centering analogue controller . That would be the end all of controller frustrations for the 5200 .

Yes! I have located a self-centering analog joystick that is in the right ball park price-wise. Its intended use is for industrial control panels. I have yet to buy and test one, though, so that will be where the rubber meets the road.

• Like 3

Ok , you can play any other game with this controller ?? That is why I would want the buttons similiar to the other . Otherwise it would be too hard to push both buttons if they are positioned the way they are imo .

Yes, the SuperTwin 78 is actually two complete controllers in one box, each with a joystick, two fire buttons, and cord. So actually two people can squeeze in close and play a two player 7800 game together, ala co-operative Asteroids or Centipede.

I thought as you, that the "over and under" would be more clunky than the horizontal orientation, but it has not been a big problem in actual gameplay. Still, whatever you like is fine with me! You can see in post #19 above a drawing of what the horizontal orientation would look like and decide for yourself.