Photo

Marble Madness 2: Marble Man

12 replies to this topic

#1 DarkSyne OFFLINE  

DarkSyne

Space Invader

• 34 posts

Posted Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:27 AM

Does anyone have a rom of this game? Because it looks really good. 

#2 Dutchman2000 OFFLINE  

Dutchman2000

Dragonstomper

• 576 posts
  • Sifting through items in a Chicago basement......

Posted Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:35 AM

AFAIK, the ROMS for this game were never released.  I did hear that the source code was compiled into ROMS and given to the MAME team but I haven't seen anything to confirm this.

#3 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,844 posts

Posted Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:43 PM

I know the owner will sell the roms for $42,000 at last check..

#4 Dutchman2000 OFFLINE  

Dutchman2000

Dragonstomper

• 576 posts
  • Sifting through items in a Chicago basement......

Posted Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:53 PM

That is insane

#5 Supergun OFFLINE  

Supergun

Stargunner

• 1,091 posts

Posted Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:39 AM

It may sound insane, and granted, it is a ton of money to ask for, but at least it can actually be bought! The vast majority of this community has no clue how refreshing that concept is.

Just having information alone gives piece of mind.

-- the game is found
-- the owner is known
-- the source code is documented
-- and screenshots & videos have been provided

That alone is worth money where I come from!

But on top of all that, the game can even actually be bought! With an actual set price! Unbelievable! In our dreams it's never that simple!

I can only wish that other gaming communities were just as cooperative & open about the unreleased games.

#6 H.E.R.O. OFFLINE  

H.E.R.O.

Moonsweeper

• 370 posts
  • New leader of the Bungeling Empire

Posted Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:38 AM

The old story was the owner was given the roms by someone who worked at an older Atari to fix the PCB's he had scavenged under the promise he would never give the roms out. Obviously, the Atari this was done under is long gone. Little over a decade ago, IIRC, he asked for a certain monetary amount for a copy of the roms, that amount was raised rather quickly then he upped the amount to some crazy number. Since then, far as I know, he's still the only one who has the roms. 

• jhd likes this

#7 Crimefighter OFFLINE  

Crimefighter

Dragonstomper

• 949 posts

Posted Fri Jan 1, 2016 12:56 PM

The owner should contact Doc Mack of Galloping Ghost Arcade and get a working machine set up for all to try.  Ghost has a lotta prototype games on the floor already.

#8 H.E.R.O. OFFLINE  

H.E.R.O.

Moonsweeper

• 370 posts
  • New leader of the Bungeling Empire

Posted Wed Jan 6, 2016 11:56 AM

The owner should contact Doc Mack of Galloping Ghost Arcade and get a working machine set up for all to try.  Ghost has a lotta prototype games on the floor already.

I believe he has 2 working cabinets already. One with trakball & one with joysticks. He regularly brings them to the CalExpo for people to try. He's got a few other Atari arcade protos as well. Never say never when it comes to getting the MM2 rom but after 10 plus years of waiting I don't think many are worried too much about it now. My feeling is if it happens, it happens, I'll try it & life will go on.

#9 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,844 posts

Posted Wed Jan 6, 2016 12:52 PM

Yes. I was hard-up to get the roms earlier. But now, with all the other stellar games competing for my time, MM2 is little more than a footnote in my documentation. Compressed, archived and tossed in the misc unsorted folder. There. But not actively sought after or discussed. Much like limited-releases of any game or item. If it happens and becomes available to me then it happens and becomes available to me! If it doesn't, oh well..

Kinda like those one-trick ponies. It bursts onto the scene, everybody stops and looks and gawks and then go about their business with more interesting and obtainable things.

It is important that people think critically about such stuff.

ADDED:

It's like with the new Scramble for the VCS. It's cool, it's interesting, and it has my attention now. But inevitably attention and interest will die down and something else will come along. But because it is here, now, and available to me; it has earned a spot in my VCS & Emulator showcase of 20 or so assorted games. Something I compare against Combat to illustrate the years of progress and sophistication that surround VCS games.

Edited by Keatah, Wed Jan 6, 2016 1:00 PM.

#10 Greg2600 ONLINE  

Greg2600

River Patroller

• 3,109 posts

Posted Wed Jan 6, 2016 7:49 PM

Last discussed here.

http://atariage.com/...er-be-released/

#11 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,844 posts

Posted Thu Jan 7, 2016 1:54 AM

I agree with what was said in the other thread. The game will eventually change hands and have a better chance of becoming available for those of you who are following this.

Sometimes you have to wait for the inevitable. I've acquired interesting and unique Apple II material by way of this method - a changing of the guard. Ghastly? Sure..

• jhd likes this

#12 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

Quadrunner

• 5,136 posts

Posted Thu Jan 7, 2016 6:11 AM

I've gotten quite a number of unique TI-99/4A family items by the changing of the guard method. A lot of the folks who've held these things (for all of the classic systems) have been holding them a long time--but none of us will live forever, so the items will pass on eventually. Key to making sure the items don't get tossed into the trash when we go is to make sure someone understands what those items are and where you want them to go when you're gone. Morbid thoughts--yes, but as a collector, I am just a caretaker of these items, so I have to think that far ahead. . .

• jhd likes this

#13 jhd OFFLINE  

jhd

Stargunner

• 1,818 posts

Posted Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:08 PM

I am reminded of my Grandfather. He had several collections that he would never, ever part with for any amount of money. The executors of his estate, however, both lacked the sentimental attachment to his collections and they needed to pay his bills.  :skull: Memento mori!  

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users