IGNORED

Altirra 2.70 released

phaeron

Thanks for the update on Altirra and ATbasic :-)

Soon you will change your mind to loving tapes and supporting them..... I did.....

Regarding to the "Bruce Lee Problem"

It still happens that the baudrate is incorrectly set and the bootloader is aborted.

Perhaps this can help.

In altirra 2.70 I get a pokey-divider of a steady $5BE, where in 2.80 it's a steady $5D4.

Internal precision of the CAS translation is improved slightly in 2.80, so the timing changed. $5BE is the closest divider for 2.70 and $5D4 is the closest for 2.80.

As I've already noted, the current failure on this tape and configuration are due to the timing triggering the bug in the OS ROM on that one particular block. I will not make a change to "fix" this that simply moves the problem to another tape or configuration.

Under the same environment, BASIC XL 1.03 (via cartridge) also chokes on ENTERing this, but in a different way:

attachicon.gifburp.png

Different issue due to a bug in Basic XL. It considers inverse quotes to start or end string literals in its uppercasing routine, which unfortunately coincides with LDX #imm. Was fixed in Basic XE.

Thanks for the best emulator for our beloving Ataris. One question thou. Maybe it was answered before, but anyway... I am bothered that program continues to run when I click menu View. Can this be configured to the same behavior from previous release? I am comfortable with halted program before making screenshot with Save Frame option.

It's an option in the UI category in Options.

I'm been usling Altirra 2.0 for a long time - but of late I find the console buttons not working - but only the Reset, F5 does work.

And when I use 2.7 the same thing/bug is present.

I thought maybe running it off a flashdrive might bypass it - but no, it's still present.

Don't know why it's started misbehaving this way. Sometimes when I run it in it's different configurations - and return back to normal stuff I may have one of it's options unchecked/etc. But I think it's OK there.

The fire button works with gamepad, and it's only START, SELECT, OPTION not working.

Harvey

Double-check that function keys are disabled in Keyboard Options, and that you don't have any input maps enabled that use these keys.

If that still doesn't work, open the debugger, type "lfe hostkeys", restart the emulation ('g' or Debug > Run/Break), and see if events are showing up when you press F2/F3/F4.

Update:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test10.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test10-src.zip

• Couple of minor fixes for Corvus emulation (off by one in logging message, and incorrect response length for write errors).
  • AltirraOS: Fix for an exact length CIO GET RECORD request returning a truncation error.
  • Input: Added support for driving and keyboard controllers. I don't have either a driving controller or a game that uses it, so the speed tuning may be off. I did find a keyboard controller in one of the boxes'o'crap, though, so it's better tested and should support advanced behaviors like more than one key held down at a time.

Additional note on the keyboard controller: some programs that read it from BASIC may not work if you run them on a faster BASIC or an OS with a faster math pack. The programs rely on Atari BASIC being slow enough to allow time to poll the paddle inputs.

• Like 4

Double-check that function keys are disabled in Keyboard Options, and that you don't have any input maps enabled that use these keys.

If that still doesn't work, open the debugger, type "lfe hostkeys", restart the emulation ('g' or Debug > Run/Break), and see if events are showing up when you press F2/F3/F4.

The debugger option is far too complicated for me, and I'm familiar with using it - so it's no go. Your instructions did not work, though I do not know how the debugger works, etc.

I did go to Input Mapping - and chose the reset option there, which seemed to have returned it to normal, with everything working OK.

I thought I did try this before - with nothing improved, so I don't know why it worked this time round.

Harvey

That suggests that a keyboard to 5200 controller mapping was active, which rebinds F2/F3/F4 as controller buttons. This will break those buttons in computer mode, since they are console keys on the computer. Future versions of the emulator will automatically disable 5200 controllers in computer mode, which should help with this problem.

• Like 1

Heh... shows you how often I use inverse video. Took a lot more code than I expected, but here's an attempted fix.

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test11.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test11-src.zip

Also fixes some regressions in fine scrolling, for the two people that used it, and improves compatibility with programs that replace the keymap table.

Other changes:

• Fixed a bug in the per-system controller filtering. (It was already in an earlier build, but didn't work when you had more than one input map enabled.)
  • The OS kernel menu is now filtered by OS types compatible with the current hardware mode. Previously, it showed all kernels and auto-switched the hardware mode to match. Well, after the third time accidentally switching to 5200 mode, that had to change. Besides, we have profiles now.
  • Like 8

Update:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test12.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test12-src.zip

Changes:

• All of the hard drive interfaces have been converted to devices, and are thus now added under System > Devices instead of System > Hard Disk. This means that you'll need the interface plus a hard disk attached to it. Wouldn't be surprised if something broke, but we'll see.
  • SIDE 2 CompactFlash removal detection is now emulated.
  • Internal cartridge port rewritten. This shouldn't have external effects but it allows cleaner emulation of cartridge stacks, i.e. Ultimate1MB -> SpartaDOS X -> other cart.
  • Fixed a rather bad bug in the new profile system that was causing mounted images to leak between profiles, and particularly computer disk images and carts to cross into 5200 profiles. This has been fixed, and another bug that sometimes prevented the 5200 placeholder cart from being reapplied has also been squashed.
  • Fixed bug where the serial output ready interrupt sometimes didn't trigger if SIO code was slow at writing out bytes. This improves the reliability of burst I/O transfers.
  • There is now a setting in Options for the default write mode for mounted disk images, and the default has now changed from read only to virtual read/write safe (VRWSafe). The new VRWSafe option is the same as virtual read/write (VRW) except that it blocks format operations. To see why this is necessary, try booting an original copy of DImension X in plain virtual read/write mode....
  • If a disk is mounted in read/write mode and the disk image file is read only, the write mode is automatically switched to virtual read/write. It was already remounting VRW, but only after failing to write back to the image file and tripping the error light.
  • It is now possible to mount a compressed disk image from a .zip, .atz, or .gz file as virtual read/write. Previously these were always forced to read only.
  • Like 5

SIDE2 HDD defaults to "Spinning Platter (Slow)" and reverts to this even if flash media is selected when the HDD is first set up (I'm using a VHD under Win10 64-bit). Attempts to list a directory in SDX with the Ultimate PBI enabled result in an error 144, presumably because the HDD emulation correctly lacks 8-bit PIO mode. If I then go back into the HDD properties and try and set the device to flash, the emulator crashes and shuts down.

Well, scrub that: re-running the previous test version and then running test 12 again appears to have cleared that up.

EDIT: Suggestion for Firmware dialog. Not sure if this is appealing or not, but would it not make sense to interpret the "Add..." button as meaning "add firmware of selected type"? I keep finding myself - even after all this time - first highlighting - say - the "Ultimate 1MB ROMs" category, then hitting "Add...", then selecting Ultimate 1MB again from the pull-down list to set the firmware type. Can the firmware "type" not be intuited - or at least pre-populated - according to the category already selected (if any) in the parent dialog?

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

Crash and property name issue for solid state mode fixed:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test13.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test13-src.zip

EDIT: Suggestion for Firmware dialog. Not sure if this is appealing or not, but would it not make sense to interpret the "Add..." button as meaning "add firmware of selected type"? I keep finding myself - even after all this time - first highlighting - say - the "Ultimate 1MB ROMs" category, then hitting "Add...", then selecting Ultimate 1MB again from the pull-down list to set the firmware type. Can the firmware "type" not be intuited - or at least pre-populated - according to the category already selected (if any) in the parent dialog?

I'm not too hot on context sensitive Add after doing it in the Devices tree and seeing how unclear the connection is. It might be feasible to do type detection though since 512K firmware isn't common.

• Like 1

Hi. I just upgraded from 2.80t11 to t13. Where did my HDD go? I had been emulating a U1MB with SIDE2, and I used to be able to specify my HDD image under the "system" menu heading. I see now I need to add SIDE2 as a cartridge based "device", which I did, but I see no way to put in settings for it to specify what HDD image file should be associated with it. All I get is a blank black scree for quite some time, before SDX finally shows up with its default built in config.sys active. My HDD is no where to be found. What do I need to do to get it back?

Go into the device tree, click on SIDE, and click the "Add" button. This gives you the opportunity to navigate to the HDD image. Thereafter you can get at the dialog which was under System->Hard disk via the "Settings" button.

That didn't work for me FJC. As before, the "settings" button for the SIDE device was greyed out.