IGNORED

SpartaDOS Construction Set - Disks?

MrFish

The manual for this is available (Atarimania), but have the disks been imaged yet?

According to the R-Time 8 / SDCS Supplement, the contents are as such:

The SpartaDOS Construction Set package includes:

1) a diskette containing the standard SpartaDOS version 1.1 on the front and public domain games with the LOGOMENU program on the back side

2) a diskette containing both SpartaDOS version 2.3 and 3.2 with their supporting command files

I'm interested in hosting information and files for this on a website currently under construction. Any help in obtaining copies would be greatly appreciated.

Also, it was noted in the "Software Preservation" thread that the ATX for the SpartaDOS Toolkit "may have a dump error". Was this ever confirmed or discounted? I'm currently planning to host the ATX from this archive, but I'd prefer not to if the dump isn't clean.

Thanks,

MF

Edited by MrFish

Also, it was noted in the "Software Preservation" thread that the ATX for the SpartaDOS Toolkit "may have a dump error". Was this ever confirmed or discounted? I'm currently planning to host the ATX from this archive, but I'd prefer not to if the dump isn't clean.

No, until I get access to another physical disk or dump that someone makes, there's no way to confirm or discount the possible dump error.

• 5 weeks later...

Whoever runs that site seriously needs to make an "everything.zip" file. I mean, it'd only be about 2 mb at most so why not?

If you use a good FTP client, I recommend Filezilla, you can easily select the files(or folders) you want to download.

Using zip files requires downloading the entire file, even if you want just a single item, and unless there is a list of the files contents you don't even know if it contains what you want.

• Like 1

If you use a good FTP client, I recommend Filezilla, you can easily select the files(or folders) you want to download.

Using zip files requires downloading the entire file, even if you want just a single item, and unless there is a list of the files contents you don't even know if it contains what you want.

It wasn't presented as FTP... until now I didn't even notice that "ftp" was in the URL.

Whoever runs that site seriously needs to make an "everything.zip" file. I mean, it'd only be about 2 mb at most so why not?

I don't understand. The link is only DOSes. http://ftp.pigwa.net has Holmes archives 1,2,3 (about 700 megs), CTH archive (650 megs),

Pooldisk and other stuff, at least 1 GB.

Edited by russg
  • Like 1

I was talking about the specific folder, not the entire archive.

Although, a single ZIP for the entire archive wouldn't be a terrible idea either.

I just zipped my CTH archive on my computer. It makes a 750 meg zip file. It would be

practically impossible to download. Having the files online and being able to navigate

to them and download a small file is a convenience of the internet.

I seldom go to my CTH archive, instead, I have a file finder of the CTH archive and

then go to pigwa to download what I'm looking for.

My 'insidecat' file organizer/searcher searches CTH, Yogi, Jindroush, Holmes,

pool, XL2 and XL3, my entire collection.

I was surprised that my CTH folder zipped in just two seconds.....

I just tried to open it. It said 20 files and couldn't see any of them.

In other words, my powerarchiver zipper didn't zip it right.

Edited by russg

Rather wasteful of bandwidth if all the user wants is (as in this case) a single ATR, though, especially when the option exists to bulk download for those accessing via FTP.

Sigh...

Not saying that it should only be a single big archive. I'm saying that in addition to the individual file downloads, there should be a single ZIP with everything. Because a lot of people will want to download it all, and doing 6000 files of a 100kb each via FTP is extremely inefficient compared to doing a single big zip.

Edited by MikeFulton

Sigh...

Not saying that it should only be a single big archive. I'm saying that in addition to the individual file downloads, there should be a single ZIP with everything. Because a lot of people will want to download it all, and doing 6000 files of a 100kb each via FTP is extremely inefficient compared to doing a single big zip.

So far, my archive of ftp.pigwa.net is over 91 gigs and that was made 2 years ago :)

So far, my archive of ftp.pigwa.net is over 91 gigs and that was made 2 years ago :)

I only ever use CTH and Holmes on pigwa. 91 gigs would take days to download at a high speed connection. You can't

put 91 gigs on any DVD. Lemme see. my hard drive is 373 gigs, I'm using about 40 gigs.

I remember my first hard drive was 20 megabytes on a PC.

I don't know how a person could download entire pigwa.

I bought the CTH archive on a single DVD straight from Tom Hunt. I think someone mailed me

the Holmes archive.

A DVD holds 4.7 gigs. A CD holds 700 megs.

I would guess Holmes and CTH together would only be less than 2 gigs.

I wonder what pigwa has that I'm missing.

Edited by russg

Everybody seems to be going out of their way to misunderstand what I'm saying.

To be clear, I'm not talking about a single zip of the entire site. We were talking specifically about the Holmes stuff which was mentioned as being 700mb.

A 700mb file isn't a huge download these days. I download bigger files all the time. A modern game demo could easily be 10 times bigger than that.

I only ever use CTH and Holmes on pigwa. 91 gigs would take days to download at a high speed connection.

I wonder what pigwa has that I'm missing.

Yep, it took a coiple of weeks to download. I did a few directories each day, then checked to see if there were files that failed to download which had zero (0) bytes.

There are TONS of demos and videos from shows and copy parties

Not really, was just stating that a single file is really Huge and as Russ has mentioned, it would take a long time to download, even if from a torrent...

To be clear, I'm not talking about a single zip of the entire site. We were talking specifically about the Holmes stuff which was mentioned as being 700mb.

A 700mb file isn't a huge download these days. I download bigger files all the time. A modern game demo could easily be 10 times bigger than that.

I think I see what you're saying. 700 megs isn't too big to download.

I guess I see.

I just analyzed my three Holmes CDs. Here's what Holme's has:

all three cds are 700 megs capacity.

Disk 1: 8623 files, 716 megs

Disk 2:34850 files 633 megs

Disk 3:7046 files 717 megs

I was thinking of hosting the three CDs on my website, then you could download them from there.

I have about 1 gig used of 10 gigs space, so the three disks would be about 3 gigs.

Holmes is about 3 gigs. I guess CTH is about the same. No, I have that archive on a single CD, about 700 megs

I'm getting tired and not sure I'm making sense. I'll come back to this.

snip....

I'm getting tired and not sure I'm making sense. I'll come back to this.

I'm back. I don't see the need to put Holme's files up on my site, pigwa is a great source for Holmes. I think

there are other sites that have Holmes, European.

Edited by russg