IGNORED

6502 vs Z80: Which do you prefer programming?

BillyHW

6502 vs Z80: Which processor do you prefer programming?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which 8-bit processor do you prefer programming?

• Z80

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for the Z80, and I'll explain my reason, which really had nothing to do the the intricacies of either's benefits or disadvantages.

I mostly code in a manor more akin to microprocessors, where I'm looking for IO from peripherals, and responding to it. I have very little actually coding experience for a true PC. Having said that, I typically build prototypes, and have found that the z80 has a much easier hardware interface to adapt to the various components with the exception to 6800 or 65** based peripherals. Not to mention the advantage of the separate Memory and IO, really streamlines he hardware. So because of this, I have found the z80 to be the first processor I go to when I get an idea for a processor controlled device. And I even have a built CPU card with 32k ram, and 64k bankable rom that is ready to assemble any time I need another z80 based project. I simply build a backplane or peripheral adapter, and start coding. So for that reason alone, I voted for the z80

• Like 1