Photo

6502 vs Z80: Which do you prefer programming?

6502 Z80

26 replies to this topic

Poll: 6502 vs Z80: Which processor do you prefer programming? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Which 8-bit processor do you prefer programming?

1. 6502 (16 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Z80 (8 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 MarkO OFFLINE  

MarkO

Dragonstomper

• 920 posts
  • Location:Albany, Oregon, USA, North Western Hemisphere, Planet Tera

Posted Sat Jan 2, 2016 12:16 AM

It's called CROSS-8 by Universal Cross-Assemblers from 1985. It included a dozen .TBL files for various CPUs. You can edit them or create your own.

And it appears to still be available for sale...

http://www.cdadapter.com/cross32.htm

MarkO

#27 jdgabbard OFFLINE  

jdgabbard

Moonsweeper

• 294 posts

Posted Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:52 AM

I voted for the Z80, and I'll explain my reason, which really had nothing to do the the intricacies of either's benefits or disadvantages.

I mostly code in a manor more akin to microprocessors, where I'm looking for IO from peripherals, and responding to it. I have very little actually coding experience for a true PC. Having said that, I typically build prototypes, and have found that the z80 has a much easier hardware interface to adapt to the various components with the exception to 6800 or 65** based peripherals. Not to mention the advantage of the separate Memory and IO, really streamlines he hardware. So because of this, I have found the z80 to be the first processor I go to when I get an idea for a processor controlled device. And I even have a built CPU card with 32k ram, and 64k bankable rom that is ready to assemble any time I need another z80 based project. I simply build a backplane or peripheral adapter, and start coding. So for that reason alone, I voted for the z80

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 6502, Z80

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users