IGNORED

Classic Computing "Truths" -- Add your own!

Omega-TI

dunno who's worse on that one, sony or apple, they should both combine forces and make the most asinine connector ever. It should have maglock on one end so it wont fail but razor sharp plastic on the other with no strain relief so it guaranteed to break. It should also support 11 different video formats that no display maker supports, along with composite no one wants. Of course should only appear on 1 revision of one device with only a slight change to the connector so you cant tell at first glance and only be different by one number in a 32 digit long part sku!

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 4

Computers in the classroom were useless unless you had teachers who knew how to use them and a decent curriculum to teach them with.

Nah... just leave the manuals nearby and any kid with even a passing interest will just get on with it either alone as a group.

Copy protection is counter-productive.

Well, it turns any well protected program into a huge, well lit target yeah... but protection code tends to be sneaky stuff so it's productive in the sense that you can learn bucketloads by prodding around inside it. =-)
  • Like 1

Yeah, comparing the amount of time to boot a computer to running state - even if one just resumes a previously hibernated state - seems like beating a dead horse by now. Actually the fastest booting computer in my collection probably is the VTech Laser 500, which boots to BASIC prompt almost before you turn on the power. None of the other computers I've got is nearly as fast, not even the VTech Laser 2001 although it might come in at a close second place.

Most young computer users today have never used a computer which is "READY" within a second of turning on.

We are all still impatient: 22k in 12 minutes -- TOO SLOW! 2GB in 12 minutes -- TOO SLOW!!

We can all recognize an analog modem training, but very few of us know what DOCSIS or DSL sounds like.

Some of us have a difficult time getting excited about "new" technology because all we can think is "it's about damn time," or "this was done much better 30 years ago."

Every single one of us thinks our favorite platform had a chance to rule the world, if only that one person had made the one right decision, or that we just need the one Big Thing for it to come from behind and take over the world. Every. Single. One. Of. Us.

Lights dimming when we turn on all of our rig at once makes us smile, almost Griswaldian, and may even be a badge of honor among our friends.

Some of us have friends.

The cops have no clue what to do with a 5.25" disk with potential evidence on it.

That the US military still uses 8" floppies in nuclear missile silos makes us nod our heads as we acknowledge tried-and-true technology.

• Like 2

Classic computers... Keeping the junkyard less full of old electronics.

Oh man, that would be awesome. I wish there was a computer "junkyard" that I could go to.

I've been to plenty of car junkyards... and usually take pictures while I'm there: http://www.pontiacperformance.net/other/junkyard.html

...but, never been to a computer junkyard. I would go insane if I saw heaps of 8088s and 286s... I'd probably buy every single one, which I know I shouldn't.

I remember going with my grandfather to the land fill / recycling center to dump (whatever) back in the early 90s... and I remember seeing (basically) heaps of 8088s and 286s... I wanted to take them all home, but I didn't take any home, haha...

Most young computer users today have never used a computer which is "READY" within a second of turning on.

I remember when I was in middle school, I was at a prep school in MA that we lived at (boarding school). My roommate had a Mac Classic, and I had an 8088 KayPro. We used to have "races" to see which computer would boot up first. Mine booted in like 10 seconds from startup... always beat his Mac Classic.

What you once thought was worthless junk not worth picking up for free, might nowadays be fairly valuable.

In the spring of 1996, me and two more people rented a small truck in order to pick up five refrigerator sized Pyramid MIS server cabinets. Those were MIPS based, one being a single unit MIS-4, one a three unit MIS-12 and then an extra disk cabinet with 6 or 8 HDD's at the enormous size of 1 GB each. We had an idea to use those to offload our current Sun SPARCstation-10 and other smaller Sun workstations at the student union/computer club, if only we were able to find the space and amperages required to run those beasts.

At the same place where we picked up those monsters was a pile of new in box Olivetti 286 computers. We were free to take as many as we wanted, those were going to recycling anyway. Since 286:s were terribly outdated by that time - in the era of 100+ MHz Pentiums - we thought it would waste valuable space on the truck, better fill it with Pyramid refrigerators and accessories like already burned in VT terminals, half a bookcase of literature nobody likely would read and open reel tapes with software nobody knew what it was or what we'd use it for.

So we went home, one of the guys called his girlfriend to tell her how much he loved her and if he didn't make it home, she would inherit all his stuff in the student apartment. Once back home at the university, we needed a temporary storage place to offload all of this. It was about then it struck us that we didn't really have continuous access to 380V three phase electricity, good enough to get some 30-35A from on startup. We got to borrow a lab with so much power and at least tried to power on these beasts, with no luck. Those booted from a battery backed memory card, and despite we got several cards, all seemed flat which meant the boot software was gone. I even called Pyramid in London and was promised they would send us some fresh card, but alas they couldn't bother less so the person I talked to simply lied to me about sending us something to get the computers running.

Most of the accessory stuff also was useless, so eventually some other people came to pick it up as an attempt to fill their computer room to the point that their college would open up more spaces. I don't think that strategy worked out, and in the end I suppose it all ended up at landfill anyway.

More than once I have thought about those new in box Olivetti 286's. Sure, they would not fetch thousands of dollars even now, but properly stored they both could have brought in a little money and more importantly, offered far more fun than those Pyramid MIS servers ever did. To add salt to an open wound, there was a sixth Pyramid system of a slightly older model that we left behind. This older machine booted from 5.25" floppy disks rather than battery backed memory cards. I'm sure that one could've been kicked into action somehow...

• Like 1

My 1986, 16Mhz, 16 bit Macintosh can load its OS, Microsoft excel and start doing meaningful work many seconds faster than my 4.3Ghz 64 bit quad core can

C64 boots in a few seconds. Some games are loaded and ready by the time I sit on the chair.

Plus C64 could do 16 colors on screen at once. PC? you'd need to sell your first born for a CGA adapter and it looks fugly because few games properly supported it for anything beside cyan and purple. Apple II? Also need separate adapter IIRC.

C64 has 3 sound channel that can do almost anything. PC? beep. Apple II? hmmm...

C64 can use existing Atari controller. PC? Need to buy controller and game card. Apple II? still need to buy game controller.

C64 came as portable system. Apple IIc is the closest and it uses separate monitor. IBM didn't make portable system until later (and one with color display a LOT later), the closest was Compaq which has mono only display

Upgrading C64 didn't require you to open the system, futz around with bazillion jumpers, plug it in the right slot, and hope you didn't mess up the jumper or fry something with static spark.

Ultima 6 was made available on C64. They skipped Apple II completely even though original Ultima started on Apple II. Ultima VI couldn't be run on older PC, you needed at minimum CGA display.

And to this day, no single computer model has sold as many as C64. There's been different number but 12.5 million is the lowest I've heard. Also no single computer model remained in production for as long as C64 (11 years). Most computer model are produced anywhere from a few months to a couple years these day.