IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Ooohno changed ALOT, of things, damned near EVERYTHING, AFTER they had people's money. Very offensive. Then, the controllers felt like crap when they arrived. Mine's available CIB In Original Condition for any collectors who have a few bucks, lol.

That sounds like exactly what people are going to be saying if the Coleco Chameleon manages to get funded, and if they ever manage to ship a single actual console out to their "backers".

Noooooo, they will be available free as punchout cards on pages of your Owner Exclusive subscription to Retro Gamer magazine. LOL> ... yeah, to be honest, he may actually do the overlays for those games with them, because they are gonna cost money , extra money, coming with the controllers and all.

I never really thought of it until now, but if Mike isn't including Colecovision/Intellivision overlays, it's even shittier.

I'm sure in his mind, he's holding them back to sell separately... 15 overlays... $29.99...

Watch out, AtariAge, Mike's watching you!

l0LGZHsIgk4iFR8Kk.gif

I'm editing a video right now and this gif came as a byproduct. Sweet dreams, everyone.

Man, with that look, he's gonna put that Coleco Chameleon shirt on you, stuff that cartridge in you and pretend you're the prototype

• Like 2

To me, and I would expect to quite a few people, it speaks volumes that Ian and Pat made a follow up video on the Chameleon so soon.

Also, just looking at Youtube at the sheer number of videos that are critical of the Chameleon, versus the positive press it is getting, I really think the word is finally out on this thing. I would not be surprised to see the KS not happen. I think if they were to go ahead and launch the campaign that they would get lambasted with questions that would make things look just that much worse no matter how they chose to respond. Also, I can't even begin to imagine the amount of negative press just waiting for the campaign to begin.

On a side note I've never been burned yet on a Kickstarter campaign. I've been very selective about what I've backed and have backed quite a few. I've been just as selective about what I've backed on Indiegogo, and have been burned ... ON EVERY ... campaign I've backed there. I'm long past the point of never backing anything there again.

• Like 5

Pat and Ian made another video, I'm listening to it as I post this...

Thanks for posting this! I didn't even think to check for a new video because I didn't realize they'd have another one ready so soon. I appreciate that they've been following this story so closely; they've really helped to get the word out.

I think Pat is right about the "proof-of-concept" idea: it would have been a more honest claim, but it wouldn't have passed muster with Kickstarter and their requirement for a prototype, and this is obviously all about getting on Kickstarter quickly, no matter how many corners they have to cut with the truth to get there. I also agree that it's puzzling that they went ahead with this new iteration so quickly after their flameout on IndieGoGo last year. Why not take the time they would have needed to do it right? As I said at the time, after Mike came back here and apologized:

It's good to see the apologies and the reflection about what went wrong with the campaign, but as others have said, there are more fundamental problems with the whole premise of the RVGS that don't seem to have been adequately considered. I think it might be a mistake to plow ahead with the project so soon, without more introspection and more market research.

The vision of the RVGS that we've been given so far has been shadowy and vague, and the closer one looks at it, the less complete it appears to be. There may be a good product idea there somewhere, but I think more time is needed to bring it into proper focus ... and to make sure that it isn't just an illusion.

They haven't given themselves time to reflect on or absorb any lessons about anything, as evidenced by the fact that they're making the same mistakes all over again. Again, why this mad rush to get on Kickstarter, when they're so obviously not ready??? If they're barreling ahead because they have bills to pay and they need to pay them fast (which is puzzling in itself, since they evidently haven't accomplished anything substantive), they only stand to lose more money by taking the route they've taken.

• Like 5

Mmmmm $1 per post.

/me counts the number of posts in the various Retro VGS/Chameleon threads...

Edit: This post is #2663 in this thread alone. :D

To be fair the last 3 or 4 days aside from FB censorship there's been absolutely no news, and even if that can be a piece of news in and of itself, the rest was us going in rounds .... maybe they did learn to shut-up .... now given they have to address the SNES-on-a-Jag allegations it may not be the best course of actions but at this point may as well see what happens the 26th if anything at all.

If they hope in oblivion though they are wrong, we know what we saw and we can't unsee it.

Maybe this has already been brought up, but I also wonder if they've adequately factored in the cost of the extra Intellivision and ColecoVision controllers they're promising. Mike has said all along that the reason they have to use the Jaguar shells, and the reason those shells have made the whole project possible, is because the tooling for plastic injection molds is so expensive. Well, making two different custom USB controllers is going to require new tooling, too, since there's no way in hell that AtGames is going to let Mike use their Flashback controller molds. (Technically, I suppose the Chameleon could be considered a competitor in the Flashback space, so why should AtGames want to help them?)

I just don't see how they're going to be able to put everything together for $400K-$500K, if that's what their goal is. As catsfolly says, their promises for the Chameleon have crept back up to a level that is about as grandiose as what they were promising for the Retro VGS.

• Like 7

Mmmmm $1 per post.

/me counts the number of posts in the various Retro VGS/Chameleon threads...

Edit: This post is #2663 in this thread alone. :D

If you moved this thread to the Subscriber Chat Forum, the Coleco Chameleon thread addicts would have to subscribe if they want to read any posts or participate. Some might grumble, but addicts almost always cough up the money. :D

• Like 9

If you moved this thread to the Subscriber Chat Forum, the Coleco Chameleon thread addicts would have to subscribe if they want to read any posts or participate. Some might grumble, but addicts almost always cough up the money. :D

Wow ... even Mike would have to pony up and subscribe (finally, after using AtariAge for years as a place to pimp his projects for free), just to keep up with what everyone is saying!

I don't think it should be done, though. Prospective Kickstarter backers and other concerned parties need access to the information in threads like this one, and they won't see it if it's behind a pay wall.

• Like 3

Wow ... even Mike would have to pony up and subscribe (finally, after using AtariAge for years as a place to pimp his projects for free), just to keep up with what everyone is saying!

I don't think it should be done, though. Prospective Kickstarter backers and other concerned parties need access to the information in threads like this one, and they won't see it if it's behind a pay wall.

I think everyone would just move to the thread in the classic gaming section. Or open a new thread. Not that I think Albert would do this in the 1st place.

On the sad side we lost comments from triverse for conflict of interest, PikoInteractive [hopefully it is just a pause until the KS], we likely scared thenavguy off [we should be respecting his friendship], Pipercub is getting super hermetic and UKMike also is not writing much.

The last 3 are all people that know Mike and may be able to offer some insight on how's the mood on the CC team .... and we do need some kind of gossip/rumors/news to keep us sane.

Hopefully if someone feels like saying something positive he/she should feel like she should be allowed to do so in this very thread as opposed to feeling intimidated, threatened or worse.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 4

Prove us wrong Friday!

Come in with SNES, Mega Drive, MSX and Sharp X68000 cores ready to port rare japanese games with fan translations and pay those fan efforts some consideration and credit.

Do THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the sad side we lost comments from triverse for conflict of interest, PikoInteractive [hopefully it is just a pause until the KS], we likely scared thenavguy off [we should be respecting his friendship], Pipercub is getting super hermetic and UKMike also is not writing much.

The last 3 are all people that know Mike and may be able to offer some insight on how's the mood on the CC team .... and we do need some kind of gossip/rumors/news to keep us sane.

Hopefully if someone feels like saying something positive he/she should feel like she should be allowed to do so in this very thread as opposed to feeling intimidated, threatened or worse.

Edited by RupanIII
  • Like 2

Prove us wrong Friday!

Come in with SNES, Mega Drive, MSX and Sharp X68000 cores ready to port rare japanese games with fan translations and pay those fan efforts some consideration and credit.

Do THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heeeyyyy!!! Don't forget us "PC Engine" folks, or I'll have to go into a corner and cry! ;-)

• Like 3