IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

[..]

Right now the mainstream video game scene is in my opinion beyond awful. Companies are stuffing paywalls anywhere they can, releasing unfinished buggy products and it's supposed to be okay because they can be patched, sending out games broken into little bits wanting you to subscribe, trying to sell you on a ten year DLC package, spending resources on adding things like emotes and new color skins rather than content and doing it all at a premium price. The mentality is fast becoming such that making money isn't good enough unless you are making all the money.

[..]

Anyone who cares about their gaming community should be upset. Rather than let the market decide, why not allow the community to rally and send a message saying we don't want to be lied to, treated like we are stupid, jerked around, or scammed?. Why does not having spent money on something remove a persons right to say something is wrong? We can vote with our dollars, but that still won't undo the damage crap like this does to the community. I don't see it as wrong as to try and prevent a problem rather than just let it run it's course.

[..]

It's why I don't chase after modern games so much. It's a completely different landscape than that of the 1980's. I'm quite content to upgrade a few high-quality premium ultra-super-duper PC productions every couple of years at $50 - $100 a pop. Ones that don't constantly nag me, and ones that offer a huge library of add-ons which are both free and payware. Ones that I can update and backup and do with as I damned well please when I damned well want to.

I'm simply not enamored with modern games as much as I am with the older material. The gameplay, the mechanics, the creative art.. the old stuff wins every time. But make no mistake, I do have a couple of modern games, just not as much as the industry wants me to have.

Sorry for not being with the modern phablet times, I truly and deeply am. But I'm quite happy ignoring app stores and micro-transactions. And I spread the word about how cool it is to work the old-school way at every opportunity I get.

Here's my two cents…

I like the IDEA of a new 2D console. If someone put say, a Raspberry Pi 2 in a box with some nice controllers and a nice 2D api and a convenient format for games (I don't care if it's a cartridge or not, although cartridges are easy to manage) that would be fine with me.

If such a box were build and was cheap enough to sell a few hundred or so, it would be fun to write games on and see what could be done with a fast modern 2D style console…

But, it's never going to happen. Because of EMULATION. Anytime someone makes such a machine, it gets quickly filled up with emulators, and all people do on it is fool around with emulators and run emulators, and there is no interest in new or original games….

[..]

Well, naturally.. Emulation is a great and fantastic way to enjoy the classic games on new hardware. Or even on contemporary or somewhat older hardware. And it's the only viable solution when original hardware is not practical or available. Emulation has been gaining traction slowly since the 1990's, but these past 2 years it has literally exploded across the scene.

I believe there are several projects and products that stuff an R-Pi into a box which then proceeds to absorb every classic game and emulator out there. It is also a fun project for people to go about assembling their own rig from standard parts and all that. Could be as complex as a full MAME cabinet, or a small STB.

The people have spoken!

• Like 1

(Just read the big pipercub post)

Wow.

So, why does he do it?

Control? Seems like he's best off with some wingmen to help guide him away from cliffs and dragons. But when you push all your friends away, you don't need to work hard at building consensus.

Profit and greed? Could there really be that much money in this little niche? I wouldn't think so, especially with so many false starts.

Attention? He's getting lots of that. I guess some people get off on that, whether it's positive or negative.

Part of why this is fascinating to me is because I just don't get it.

• Like 13

Quotes to remember going into tomorrow:

• that is untrue. Our software was running the games. We will prove a lot more on the Kickstarter page. (in response to the SNES question on twitter)
  • Thanks Kevin. The excitement should still be high for the first fully architected FPGA gaming console we've created. We will address the Toy Fair unit now that we have dug out from all the great leads from the show. We still have much more to show and prove yet this week. Thanks for keeping the faith! (facebook)
  • Like 5

Creating solutions to problems that don't exist.

I don't understand the Chameleon. I really don't get why anyone would want this or the Retro VGS.

I don't get Game Gavel. I really don't.

I don't understand why anyone would back this if his magazine is late or behind schedule either.

I'm not pissed off about it, I just don't get it.

• Like 12

January 15, 2016

"Chameleon behind the scenes. Preparing the prototype system shells for the upcoming board installation."

Waaiiit a minute. I missed that before... "prototype system shells..."

This has two possible meanings:

1) Only the shells were ever intended to be prototypes. Therefore, what they actually showed at Toy Fair was a prototype. Of a shell.

2) It's plural - as in multiple prototypes. What we saw at Toy Fair was only the first. Which begs the question... how on Earth are they going to stuff an old ColecoVision into one of those?

• Like 2

Waaiiit a minute. I missed that before... "prototype system shells..."

This has two possible meanings:

1) Only the shells were ever intended to be prototypes. Therefore, what they actually showed at Toy Fair was a prototype. Of a shell.

2) It's plural - as in multiple prototypes. What we saw at Toy Fair was only the first. Which begs the question... how on Earth are they going to stuff an old ColecoVision into one of those?

Nah, there was the Chameleon shell and the SNES mini shell. So he was telling the truth. For the first time. Ever.

• Like 2

Over 150 people have posted in this thread alone, and AtariAge is not the only place this is being discussed. For instance, here's an active thread on NeoGAF. And, many, many more are reading the thread without commenting.

..Al

I'm sure plenty are interested in it but there are also a handful that are full blown obsessed.

Over 150 people have posted in this thread alone, and AtariAge is not the only place this is being discussed. For instance, here's an active thread on NeoGAF. And, many, many more are reading the thread without commenting.

..Al

Are you able to see a metric of the most users to ever browse this thread at once? I think I recall seeing the number in the 80s a couple times.

• Like 3

..Al

Um yeah, the batshit crazy insanity of the RVGS and now this latest fraudebacle seem to reach a bit farther in the concerned and mentally capable parts of the retro community at large...

• Like 3

redblue_pill1.jpg?w=400&h=203

Morpheus - These are prototypes of new medicine I'm bringing to market, to treat colds and fever. You've never seen anything like them before!

Neo - The one of the left is NyQuil and the one of the right is a painted Tylenol

Morpheus - THEY'RE MY SPECIAL PROTOTYPE BLENDS!

Neo - I can see the original product boxes on the ground, behind your chair

Morpheus - PROTOTYPES!!!!!!

• Like 9

I'm on the obsessed side, I can't sleep, I can't eat, I can't work ..... I need to see how it ends.

And yes my previous line is a little sarcastic but I find it polarizing!

I sleep fine, eat steak whenever I can and deliver at work so .... I'm fine!!!!

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

(Just read the big pipercub post)

Wow.

So, why does he do it?

Control? Seems like he's best off with some wingmen to help guide him away from cliffs and dragons. But when you push all your friends away, you don't need to work hard at building consensus.

Profit and greed? Could there really be that much money in this little niche? I wouldn't think so, especially with so many false starts.

Attention? He's getting lots of that. I guess some people get off on that, whether it's positive or negative.

Occam's Razor Time...

He wants a way to quit his low paying 9-5 job (hint: nerd patrol) expending the least amount of effort. Preferably with someone else picking up the tab.

It's no more complicated than that.

• Like 4