IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

All the useless prattle about FPGAs & SD cards and what's inside aside.. Does anyone believe the new RetroVGS will be as fun as our old 8-bit systems from the 70's and 80's?

Back then we never cared about specs. All we cared about were the games and titles, and when an arcade port would debut on our system of choice. Maybe, just maybe, we got into # of colors, resolution, or "bitness" if we talked specs.

• Like 5

It won't have the games or support to have any kind of longevity, and fun...? It's barely even worth mentioning. You've seen the beginning (and let's face it, likely the only) line up of games. Is there anything there that would convince anyone to buy a brand new console?

Mike can talk about preservation and giving back to the hobby and whatever other kind of snake oil he has cooked up this week, but I think most of us know the real score. This is an attempt to part nondiscerning retro gamers with their cash, pure and simple.

The criticisms we had before are still there (Why carts? What if there are bugs? What kind of support will something like this have? Why is the collectiblity of the console and the carts placed over the quality of games? What problem is this thing meant to solve that emulators or computers or phones or actually owning real hardware doesn't actually address? What exactly do you mean by backward compatibility?), coupled with new ones (why are you still pretending this thing has anything to do with COLECO's video game lineage after you were called out on it?). RETRO Magazine was a failure, and, like a fool, I backed it (TWICE!) believing that Mike was in touch with what old timers like me would want. If he couldn't handle the magazine, discounting the RetroVGS disaster, for a moment, what makes us think he can pull this off?

I was pretty mad when the owner of the site shut down the last thread about this, and especially when he hand waved the COLECO issue as something "people were looking to get upset about." People need to know who they are getting into bed with when this goes to be crowd funded for a second time. When real money is at stake, people need to have all of the facts.

At first, I was more amused by the whole RetroVGS deal than anything... but then Mike's boorish behavior and ridiculous pie in the sky promises changed the whole thing into something more. We've beaten that to death, but it's difficult to forget or ignore. The coopting of the COLECO name? I can't do anything about that... as he himself said, he paid to license it. However, I can damn sure keep pointing out every time he claims that this ill conceived boondoggle has ANYTHING to do with COLECO, or the men and women that made those systems and games great that the "Chameleon" has about as much to do with COLECO as chalk does with cheese.

The technical specifications don't truly matter. They'll never be used to their fullest potential, anymore than the OUYA's were.

Edited by dj_convoy
  • Like 14

Mmm..

Mike can talk about preservation and giving back to the hobby and whatever other kind of snake oil he has cooked up this week, but I think most of us know the real score. This is an attempt to part nondiscerning retro gamers with their cash, pure and simple.

That's right. However I think a lot of neo-neuvo-retro stuff today is marketing fluff. Not all.. But a lot more than one would casually think.

To me, a genuine attempt at being retro and bringing the classics forward is AA and similar forums, emulator programmers, tiny operations like Best Electronics and the guy that made the CFFA3000 and ADTPro, and of course the hombrew devs. There's more I'm sure.

All those things bring a lot of genuine retro classic and vintage goodness to the table. And they do it in the proper style. I sometimes honestly don't know what retro means anymore. But it doesn't mean 70's and 80's old.

The criticisms we had before are still there (Why carts? What if there are bugs? What kind of support will something like this have? Why is the collectiblity of the console and the carts placed over the quality of games? What problem is this thing meant to solve that emulators or computers or phones or actually owning real hardware doesn't actually address?

None that I can envision either. I can play the original Combat game from 1977 via two methods - emulation or the original hardware. In any case "preservation" has happened, is happening. And that's good enough for me.

The coopting of the COLECO name? I can't do anything about that... as he himself said, he paid to license it.

It's essentially paid-for and officially sanctioned name dropping. Isn't it?

Edited by Keatah

A few hours and we'll all know .... at what time does the fair open? 10:00AM ET on the 13?

(that would be 15:00 UTC).

Oh, the anxiety, the trepidation, the anticipation .... it's too much !!!

Co

Le

Co

Co

Le

Co

repeat with me!!!

EDIT: found it!

http://www.toyfairny.com/ToyFair/ShowInfo/About_the_Show/Toy_Fair/Show_Info/About_the_Show.aspx

9:00AM, one less hour of not knowing .... so exciting!!!

Co

Le

Co

Edited by phoenixdownita

Remember, the announcement will be at 9:30 EST according to Facebook. I know I'm getting up bright and early for it!

Edit:

And I actually have my own announcement to make. I've been keeping this under wraps but I was approached by Nintendo Love Affair last month with an invitation to participate in their ongoing Coleco Chameleon coverage by writing a guest blog for them. I took them up on the offer, the blog has been written, and it will be published this weekend! It's a very entertaining read.

Oh also- if the Chameleon Kickstarter succeeds, there's a possibility that I'll be reviewing their games on that site.

So you see, don't let anyone tell you you're wasting your life on a video game forum. Someone might notice that you're a creative writer and they could offer you an opportunity to express yourself on their website. Being a sarcastic pain in the ass can actually take you places!!

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 7

Well, I just found some interesting evidence that should put all doubts to rest. Here it is in all its retro glory in the color that I'm sure we have all been waiting for and IT WORKS! By it works, I mean way beyond the prototype stage. I'm impressed. Anyway, here you go and enjoy: http://www.coleco.vision/

Your quote links to a Sony Trinitron monitor on eBay... :ponder:

Just wanted to get in one last "hardware-speculation" before the show starts, in the unlikely event that they actually announce any real details.

I'm still betting that what will be on show today will be a BeagleBone Black or a Raspberry Pi 2 maybe-attached to a custom motherboard to provide a cartridge port ... although that's not certain given the lead-times for large prototype boards, particularly if ordered from China.

The "console" would then just run uBoot on startup and display the "Chameleon" logo almost-instantly while it is booting linux from eMMC or SD card (or cartridge ... hahaha!).

But that will only be the "prototype", because they'll plan to replace the "expensive" BeagleBone/Pi with a $9 C.H.I.P. (http://getchip.com/) for actual production.

So ... my end prediction is that the final plan for the "Coleco Chameleon" is that it will be a $9 C.H.I.P on a custom motherboard, thrown inside the Jaguar shell, bundled with that cheap Wii-U controller, and a couple of pack-in carts (1 Coleco collection + 1 16-bit game), and then sold on to their adoring fans for a 200%-300% markup.

Or I could be wrong.

It's going to be an interesting day. :grin:

• Like 1

rvgs_021316_update.png

The Retro VGS Team, everybody!! Give em' a hand!

200.gif

Edit:

I guess we also now know what the "other Coleco products" are that Mark Thomann was talking about showing at the toy fair- bringing back Cabbage Patch Kids.

I have no prior knowledge to go on when it comes to Cabbage Patch Kids, but for god's sake WTF IS UP WITH THEIR EYES??!??!???!?

rvgs_021316_cbkids.png

tumblr_ltsay6A0rb1qdlvg6o1_500.gif

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 4

They uploaded a video on their Facebook not 10 minutes ago where Mike is putting a multicart with 5 or 6 unnamed games into the system and plays some games.

You can just about see part the back of the console but all the wires go out the front. No good view on the front panel, and the console seems to be housed in a plexiglass box.

Interestingly, the power light never comes on.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=947471695322101&id=783316545070951

Also note he is playing it using a Super Nintendo controller and not the controller in their renders on the homepage. Video is edited in such a way you never see any menu or loading times, they are cut out.

EDIT: Mike updated the post saying that the (presumably aftermarket USB) SNES controllers are "hardwired" to the console. I guess that means they are plugged into a Raspberry Pi or something hidden inside the shell?

Am i threading on thin ice here? ;)

Edited by Raticon
  • Like 5

Edit:

I guess we also now know what the "other Coleco products" are that Mark Thomann was talking about showing at the toy fair- bringing back Cabbage Patch Kids.

I have no prior knowledge to go on when it comes to Cabbage Patch Kids, but for god's sake WTF IS UP WITH THEIR EYES??!??!???!?

rvgs_021316_cbkids.png

What the hell dude? Those eyes would have given me nightmares as a kid! :o

So I suppose their stuffing them with electronics and potentially some sort of NFC so they can communicate with a smart phone app.

• Like 1

They uploaded a video on their Facebook not 10 minutes ago where Mike is putting a multicart with 5 or 6 unnamed games into the system and plays some games.

You can just about see part the back of the console but all the wires go out the front. No good view on the front panel, and the console seems to be housed in a plexiglass box.

Interestingly, the power light never comes on.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=947471695322101&id=783316545070951

Also note he is playing it using a Super Nintendo controller and not the controller in their renders on the homepage. Video is edited in such a way you never see any menu or loading times, they are cut out.

EDIT: Mike updated the post saying that the (presumably aftermarket USB) SNES controllers are "hardwired" to the console. I guess that means they are plugged into a Raspberry Pi or something hidden inside the shell?

Am i threading on thin ice here? ;)

Why, for stating the (thin on the ground) facts?

• Like 1

There's no need to bring them back - they're already here and always have been, just haven't been distributed by Coleco since the 80's.

http://www.cabbagepatchkids.com/

I just bought one for one of my nieces last Xmas (and it didn't have creepy eyes) :)

What the hell dude? Those eyes would have given me nightmares as a kid! :o

That's nothing. Imagine what it looks like when you turn it off.
grudge-boy.jpg
Sweet dreams!!

So I suppose their stuffing them with electronics and potentially some sort of NFC so they can communicate with a smart phone app.

I'm pretty sure if we asked they would be happy to reveal how it works!!

... oh, in case anyone was wondering- we're talking about the Cabbage Patch Kids doll here, not that other Coleco product.

it does look an awful lot like that is an snes or snes clone shoved into the jag shell. the edge connector on the cart looks exactly like an snes cart and so does the cart slot. Im thinking you could probably fit an snes mini board into a jag shell. maybe its really an everdrive in that proto cart shell. the cart shell is only the front as you can see electrical tape holding the board in place.

Edited by mickcris
  • Like 1

So, just to be sure that I didn't miss anything, the big reveal didn't show anything.

There was no evidence from the video that the cart or connector does anything on their prototype. From the looks of it , there could just be some tiny little emulator board inside there running or even hooked to that cart port.

How is what was shown any different than those RVGS videos showing game play. I don't get it. Does putting some little pre-made board in an old case instantly count as a newly developed prototype game system? Not to be rude about it but the video just looked like a heavily edited attempt to mislead anyone who would see it. As if, they still don't have anything really and that is how they are going to get around KS needing a prototype.

I don't know... maybe I'm totally wrong but it just looks genuinely intentionally deceptive to me.

Edited by TheClassyGamer
  • Like 5

This...

khRZrDw.png

I'm not a engineer by any stretch of the imagination and i don't want to sound like an asshole, but how can it be so hard to make a power button or power LED work, even on a prototype? Just route the power trough the button for christ sake!

EDIT: Watching the video again i could not miss that Colecovision Flashback on the table next to the Chameleon. It made me remember someone in this thread mentioning them having "CV Flashbacks on standby if prototype fails to show proof of concept" :P

Edited by Raticon
  • Like 2