IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Yeah, it's not looking good.

IF you are going to use a USB Controller, you presumably have a USB Controller ready.. i doubt hardwired.

I agree, sounds more like a MIST or Pi2 board inside right now.

We'll see in 10 more days apparently.

These guys are burying themselves.

There's no need to bring them back - they're already here and always have been, just haven't been distributed by Coleco since the 80's.

http://www.cabbagepatchkids.com/

I just bought one for one of my nieces last Xmas (and it didn't have creepy eyes) :)

Meh. To me, Cabbage patch dolls were always butt-ugly... :P

Another thing I noticed in the video, were the Coleco miniature arcades to the right of the Chameleon display. I hope they're bringing those back. I would love to own one. Too bad they likely won't be able to relicense Donkey Kong but oh well...

• Like 2

I took a pic of the top left corner of my SD2SNES to compare.

http://imgur.com/a/4qD68

i would bet thats an snes flash cart

lol. Nice one. The thing is, i wouldn't be surprised...

With a bit of squinting and willful thinking one can almost make up the LED's too, but it could be something else or just image artifacts.

• Like 1

it does look an awful lot like that is an snes or snes clone shoved into the jag shell. the edge connector on the cart looks exactly like an snes cart and so does the cart slot. Im thinking you could probably fit an snes mini board into a jag shell. maybe its really an everdrive in that proto cart shell. the cart shell is only the front as you can see electrical tape holding the board in place.

You are right. I paused the video and despite the low resolution, I could make out the dividing pins on the side. So he basically has produced an SNES homebrew multicart or using a flash cart, with SNES connectors, but proprietary Jaguar shells. Doesn't bode well if this is the case. That also explains the SNES controller. So basically their prototype is an SNES clone running homebrew. That also means in theory you could take that "Jag" cart and shove it in an SNES with the lid removed. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

• Like 4

I think with this image they just posted, we can almost guarantee its an snes

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlf1/v/t1.0-9/12742690_947514731984464_9103615071607895560_n.jpg?oh=c10cf47a9cc260c6228a2561092dd5b5&oe=57250893

has one of those junk 3 in 1 power supplies and looks like an Nintendo multi out connector

• Like 4

So, that would mean the reason the power switch doesn't work is because they would have to take the shell off to switch the actual console inside on and off. If I am getting this, the prototype is some other company's already released fully working game console and carts, that they just hid inside jaguar shells?

• Like 3

I'm not sure I understand the general reaction here. What if this thing actually was a Super-NES in a Jaguar enclosure? Shouldn't that be regarded as good news? The Super-NES hardware is documented well enough that enterprising people could get started on making new games for the Chameleon without having to wait to receive a dev kit from Mike & co. And many Super-NES legacy games could be re-released as Jag-like carts. I dunno, that just sounds like a good thing to me...

I'm not sure I understand the general reaction here. What if this thing actually was a Super-NES in a Jaguar enclosure? Shouldn't that be regarded as good news? The Super-NES hardware is documented well enough that enterprising people could get started on making new games for the Chameleon without having to wait to receive a dev kit from Mike & co. And many Super-NES legacy games could be re-released as Jag-like carts. I dunno, that just sounds like a good thing to me...

If you think that's worth $150, then give them your money and sin no more. A Super Retro Trio will set you back $60. And if it's a SNES and you're trying to appeal to retro gamers, why would you try to sell them something they already own?

• Like 6

The cart does indeed look like an SD2SNES, also the AV cable looks exactly like an SNES AV cable, the power supply is a 3rd party 3-in-1, and the configuration of the power and the AV cable on the back looks exactly like an SNES mini. My only question would be, how do they switch games without the SD2SNES menu coming up?

Edited by StoneAgeGamer
  • Like 3

Watch the video, they never show you how they switch games. They cut/edit.

The cart does indeed look like an SD2SNES, also the AV cable looks exactly like an SNES AV cable, the [power supply is a 3rd part 3-in-1, and the configuration of the power and the AV cable on the back looks exactly like an SNES mini. My only question would be, how do they switch games without the SD2SNES menu coming up?

• Like 2

So a proprietary SNES? Honestly I don't understand the point. Might as well just make a high-end SNES clone and offer SNES game publishing.

• Like 4

From the video it seems there's a way to go behind the glass case (like in the booth on the back of theirs or something).

If anyone is there at the fai please take a pic ;-) so we can see the back of the cart itself (it is pretty obvious the Jag cart shell is taped in front of what it seems to be an SD2SNES).

Already from the back picture they posted you can see the AV section sticks out the back quite a little (likely to align the cart connector to the Jag shell cart hole) and it seems made of black plastic.

Edited by phoenixdownita

Also, the 3 bundled wires imply no HDMI but instead composite video with stereo sound.

If it just so happens to be a SNES clone in a Jag shell it is all the more irritating, actually. Those come on a 13 to the dozen in quantity, everything from the Gamerz Tek SNES-unit to things like the Retrons or Super Retro Trio and then we have the multitude of random chinese clones found everywhere online. This system has been advertised as being able to play everything from 8 to 32 bit era games in the past, and they have touted it numerous times as a "new system" "new console" and such assorted things.

If it is a SNES in a Jag shell then advertise it as such, in my opinion. Don't go around waving it around like a new revolutionary system if it's essentially a console from one company over 25 years ago packed in new lookalike shells from a system by another manufacturer from 20 years ago.
It would be like me designing a totally new and cool car with the tooling from the Oldsmobile Delta 88 from 1995 and calling it new, but upon opening the hood you will find the engine and transmission from a 1990 Toyota...

• Like 4

Why bother when the RetroN 5 and Retro Freak already do all of that and more?

I completely agree. I honestly have a very hard time understanding the point of any of this. From a business stand point I think its crazy. That being said I don't wish them any ill will, but there are so many better opportunities in the retro market than something like this.

• Like 2

Looking again at when Mike inserts the cart (time [00:14-00:18]) you can see a black bulge protruding from the back of the Jag case, and it looks all wrapped in tape .... so then again at this stage they have nothing that fits their case ..... why trying the disguise at all?

AND we waited so long just to be told to wait another 10 days for the KS data .... whatever!!!

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

Okay, hold the phone... were people actually expecting a "proper" proof-of-concept prototype at this point? What we have, I think, is merely a device that is being used to entice people with money to look at the Coleco brand, and see that it is still potentially viable. I think what's inside the shiny shell is irrelevant at this point. It could be a SNES or some sort of computer, but it is probably very different than what will be inside the final planned product.

In the video and the linked pic, I am trying to see if there is a cord that actually goes from the prototype to the TV. I don't see it at first glance.

If they are trying to make some high end SNES clone that also can play some Coleco and Intellivision games, there better be pretty good specs to justify a high price tag. When does the Kickstarter campaign start again? I couldn't tell from that one earlier post as the picture announcing that is cropped and tiny (at least on my compute).

• Like 1