IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

In the video and the linked pic, I am trying to see if there is a cord that actually goes from the prototype to the TV. I don't see it at first glance.

If they are trying to make some high end SNES clone that also can play some Coleco and Intellivision games, there better be pretty good specs to justify a high price tag. When does the Kickstarter campaign start again? I couldn't tell from that one earlier post as the picture announcing that is cropped and tiny (at least on my compute).

In the pic, Its the cable on the left that looks like an snes video cable. the tv is sitting on top of that clear case the console is in.

Okay, hold the phone... were people actually expecting a "proper" proof-of-concept prototype at this point? What we have, I think, is merely a device that is being used to entice people with money to look at the Coleco brand, and see that it is still potentially viable. I think what's inside the shiny shell is irrelevant at this point. It could be a SNES or some sort of computer, but it is probably very different than what will be inside the final planned product.

BS.

Mike himself said this time they would have a working proto, not something to entice, but a "proper" working proto.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 4

Yep, i've read from one of thier partners that expected ship date now is 2017, but, that source has disappeared (they caught it and deleted).
Makes sense since they are doing a Kickstarter now. So not interested now. Nobody's going to do this right.

What I find crazy about all of this is that Mike honestly believes he can fool the people who make up his primary market.

• Like 1

I find it a bit disturbing that they are announcing their kickstarter:

We are excited to announce the COLECO Chameleon Video-Game System Kickstarter campaign will begin the morning of Friday, February, 26th 2016. Check back tomorrow at this same time to see our first Early Bird reward level. Thanks again for your support and enthusiasm.
(money!), while the prototype is still at the snes in a jaguar shell stage.

Looking again at when Mike inserts the cart (time [00:14-00:18]) you can see a black bulge protruding from the back of the Jag case, and it looks all wrapped in tape .... so then again at this stage they have nothing that fits their case ..... why trying the disguise at all?

Yep, seems like he's sculpted the back with electrical tape or a garbage bag. Maybe Mike's changing his name to Mike-elangelo.

rvgs_021316_back2.jpg

• Like 5

Why bother when the RetroN 5 and Retro Freak already do all of that and more?

That is a very good point in that there is no point in introducing yet another clone. So many of those already. So a USB controller, SNES AV cables... possible that HDMI is in the works but was not ready. If it is going to be composite only, why just not get a working SNES and use that. If the games you want to play are largely covered by the VC, why not just get a used Wii... at least you have component out. Wii U gives you HDMI.

If this is just hardware to run an emulator, the RetronN 5 does that. If downloading roms is not an issue with someone, why not just get a SNES USB controller and play on a PC/Mac?

Seems like there are plenty of options already. This makes no sense unless there is something significant that is value added with the Kickstarter announcement. It seems like if there is something that makes this better than the other options already available, wouldn't make business sense to use the toy fair to announce that?

?

A $150 price tag.... seems like there are charities that would benefit more. Am I missing something here? If this is going to be an FPGA based system, does that add something that other options don't?

Unless there is something earth shattering that we don't know about... nothing to see here folks... move along. Plenty of games to play, big Serie A match this afternoon, and a big day for the EPL tomorrow.

What it is really looks like is that they have totally nothing to show. This is just plain existing SNES board and SNES flash card, with SNES games and original SNES hardware - not a newly made clone, not a RetroN-like emulator. Just the old original thing hidden under a Jag shell. They don't even have an engineer capable to connect that damn power switch and a LED (I myself personally did that at 13, plus much more) - which is like 5 minutes of work. So that's actually even worse than the original RVGS disaster.

However, I should acknowledge, that's all is pretty chameleon'y to me.

Edited by Shiru
  • Like 8

I can't believe this. Everything Points towards this being an SNES Jr. The whole geometry of the System fits. The placing of the ports on the back, the distance between the ports and the cartridge Slot. The Pins on the cartridge do look exactly like SNES. I can't believe they'd do this.

• Like 2

Really, they couldn't even wire up a power switch and an LED? They already have the light pipes (they've been sending them out with their Jaguar cases), so all it would have taken is a bit of solder, an LED, a resistor, and some wire and hot glue. At most, that's about $3.00 worth of parts and an hour of labor.

(Then again, everybody on the whole team seems to be management and marketing types, so maybe none of them knew how to do it.)

• Like 1

So, I can't help remembering,

"All I ask is moving forward into the New Year is you try and give the Chameleon a fair chance to stand on its own, and again forget about the past. Let it speak for itself when we reveal it to you all early this New Year."

Now, having seen the official prototype is it acceptable to go ahead and have an opinion on the project?

Giving everything that has come out from the sources on the whole project thus far, I kind of feel like the time for a fair chance is over with the prototype reveal. This is where ill will comes from. Having been actually interested and intending to back the RVGS until the project kept changing and then moved to IGG and finally coming here and finding more out about it, I still was willing to hold out some hope for this project, based entirely on good will.

Keep in mind this is after what feels like basically being officially told that, IF you weren't willing to blindly believe everything you were told about the project, IF you had anything to say that was anything less than a glowing compliment, and IF you raised any concerns about the project, then IT is your fault entirely that it failed. Followed by a seemingly half apology and scapegoating fest.

Still, to give the Chameleon a fair chance, is asking quite a bit, but I think there are many people here that have been willing to do just that.

Seeing the Official prototype up and running, now I don't think that there is any reason that it would be wrong for anyone who was interested in the project to have ill will.

Because it feels like we are being treated like we are stupid, the project feels like a cash grab, and no one likes being deceived. At this point I've lost all respect for anyone involved in the project. If someone is wiling to get in bed with this lot and license their games and have their names associated with this sham then I've no respect for them either.

Seriously, it's a slap in the face to the gaming community. People getting burned on stuff like this hurts everyone who tries to produce a legitimate project.

• Like 16

Really, they couldn't even wire up a power switch and an LED? They already have the light pipes (they've been sending them out with their Jaguar cases), so all it would have taken is a bit of solder, an LED, a resistor, and some wire. At most, that's about $3.00 worth of parts and an hour of labor.

(Then again, everybody on the whole team seems to be management and marketing types, so maybe none of them knew how to do it.)

Yeah, it would have been a bit more believable if they would have taken the time to do that. Might have taken a little longer to figure out it was an SNES inside.

• Like 1

So, I can't help remembering,

"All I ask is moving forward into the New Year is you try and give the Chameleon a fair chance to stand on its own, and again forget about the past. Let it speak for itself when we reveal it to you all early this New Year."

Now, having seen the official prototype is it acceptable to go ahead and have an opinion on the project?

Giving everything that has come out from the sources on the whole project thus far, I kind of feel like the time for a fair chance is over with the prototype reveal. This is where ill will comes from. Having been actually interested and intending to back the RVGS until the project kept changing and then moved to IGG and finally coming here and finding more out about it, I still was willing to hold out some hope for this project, based entirely on good will.

Keep in mind this is after what feels like basically being officially told that, IF you weren't willing to blindly believe everything you were told about the project, IF you had anything to say that was anything less than a glowing compliment, and IF you raised any concerns about the project, then IT is your fault entirely that it failed. Followed by a seemingly half apology and scapegoating fest.

Still, to give the Chameleon a fair chance, is asking quite a bit, but I think there are many people here that have been willing to do just that.

Seeing the Official prototype up and running, now I don't think that there is any reason that it would be wrong for anyone who was interested in the project to have ill will.

Because it feels like we are being treated like we are stupid, the project feels like a cash grab, and no one likes being deceived. At this point I've lost all respect for anyone involved in the project. If someone is wiling to get in bed with this lot and license their games and have their names associated with this sham then I've no respect for them either.

Seriously, it's a slap in the face to the gaming community. People getting burned on stuff like this hurts everyone who tries to produce a legitimate project.

Excellent points, and very well put.

TheNVAGuy, a few pages back, was wondering why people hated this project, or why there were so many haters or whatever. Flim flam artists like these actively hurt our community; THAT'S WHY PEOPLE ARE UPSET. They are actively doing harm. This isn't just a case of "a fool and his money are soon parted;" it's actual lies and nonsense dressed up as something it isn't and will never be. IT'S A SCAM.

Anyone who comes here to white knight this garbage should be absolutely ashamed of themselves, and are worthy of contempt.

Edited by dj_convoy
  • Like 7

Really, they couldn't even wire up a power switch and an LED? They already have the light pipes (they've been sending them out with their Jaguar cases), so all it would have taken is a bit of solder, an LED, a resistor, and some wire. At most, that's about $3.00 worth of parts and an hour of labor.

It's funny, because SD&R pointed that out when the pic dropped a few days ago... I didn't think too much of it. Now, I guess we know why the LED is mysteriously absent.

How could they have managed to top their first disaster? It's mind boggling.

• Like 1