IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

The quote that keeps on giving.

As far as the Toy Fair shows so far his idea of "different" is to play SNES games with SNES controllers on a SNES mini but in a Jag case and ask you money on KS to accomplish all that. I see the KS part must be the difference.

To be fair the SD2SNES hovers at around 180US$, if he can give me the whole shebang console and cart (tape or no tape) for 150US$ then I'd buy.

well, the Super EverDrive v2 is just 79$ and it comes with a tape-free-shell

http://shop.krikzz.com/Super-EverDrive-v2-SPEDV2.htm

• Like 2

Oh my god guys...

I've heard what's happening at the booth (got a man on the inside). As you can see from the map of the expo hall, Mike's booth is far away from the main action.

I don't expect them to live stream. Let's just say they are getting some visitors... but the tumbleweeds weren't interested!

200.gif

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 2

Oh my god guys...

I've heard what's happening at the booth (got a man on the inside). As you can see from the map of the expo hall, Mike's booth is far away from the main action.

I don't expect them to live stream. Let's just say they are getting some visitors... but the tumbleweeds weren't interested!

200.gif

Can you get your "insider" to take some meaningful pics or is that forbidden at the Fair without consent?

• Like 1

I'm not sure I understand the general reaction here. What if this thing actually was a Super-NES in a Jaguar enclosure? Shouldn't that be regarded as good news? The Super-NES hardware is documented well enough that enterprising people could get started on making new games for the Chameleon without having to wait to receive a dev kit from Mike & co. And many Super-NES legacy games could be re-released as Jag-like carts. I dunno, that just sounds like a good thing to me...

Isn't the SNES known for having a notoriously slow CPU? To me that would seem like handcuffing.

Can you get your "insider" to take some meaningful pics or is that forbidden at the Fair without consent?

Just saw this on youtube. doubt anyone is going to get any closer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OipncvjdHrc

I assume when they go to change to the game, they turn the monitor around so no one sees the flash cart menu.

Edited by mickcris

From a Gametech usa video, lol... I wonder what's sticking out inside there?

Pict is of an SNES JR

GametechusaKevtrisSNESJRBOARD

It's not a SNES clone because it uses that proprietary plug used on the SNES/N64/GC, most clones just use regular 3 plug RCA. And it's not a SNES 1 because then it would have an RF output in between the av and power.

hook_sns_avtotv.gif

This is a SNES Mini.

Edited by RupanIII

I guess tomorrow to curb the rumors that this is a SNES mini in disguise we will be treated to:

http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-RetroGEN-Cartridge-Super-NES-6306300/dp/B0071IDAQU

and a MegaED.

(I'm making this stuff up, I do not know if the MegaED works on the RetroBit adapter or not ... but hey it will show Genesis games on the Coleco Chameleon, then they can use the NES RetroBit adapter and even the GBA .... oh the accolades)

Edited by phoenixdownita

As much as I have enjoyed the schadenfreude around this project, aren't we jumping the gun here? I know they haven't given enough information to know anything about this, but just because we see familiar components doesn't /necessarily/ mean it's an SNES. Remember how RVGS was talking about using 32X cabling? Original designs aren't really their thing, but literally repurposing SNES and calling it "new" seems too lame, even for this circus.

Their marketing campaign (or lack thereof) is total fair game for mockery, I think. So Toy Fair literally was a place to announce the start date for their Kickstarter?

• Like 3

As much as I have enjoyed the schadenfreude around this project, aren't we jumping the gun here? I know they haven't given enough information to know anything about this, but just because we see familiar components doesn't /necessarily/ mean it's an SNES. Remember how RVGS was talking about using 32X cabling? Original designs aren't really their thing, but literally repurposing SNES and calling it "new" seems too lame, even for this circus.

Their marketing campaign (or lack thereof) is total fair game for mockery, I think. So Toy Fair literally was a place to announce the start date for their Kickstarter?

I think that more likely than not that, it is an SNES and an SD2SNES. I just think they dont have a real working prototype so this was a short cut. Im sure the hardware they show next week will look nothing like what they are showing today.

I know they haven't given enough information to know anything about this, but just because we see familiar components doesn't /necessarily/ mean it's an SNES. Remember how RVGS was talking about using 32X cabling?

If it was just the cabling, I'd be a lot less confident. But when the A/V cable is a proprietary SNES cable, and the controllers are SNES controllers, and the cartridge connector is an SNES cartridge connector, it stands to reason that there's a good chance that the system inside the Jaguar shell is an SNES.

Has anyone seen this "prototype" playing games that are not already available on the SNES? Has anyone actually seen it playing the Intellivision or Coleco titles mentioned in the launch lineup, or has it only been existing SNES titles? Showing something new would at least demonstrate that they've actually done some development for this thing in the months after the IGG campaign, beyond putting SNES parts in a shell and covering them over with tape. As it is, it's hard to find anything in this "prototype" that is uniquely theirs: they've got a borrowed Jaguar shell on the outside, and borrowed SNES guts on the inside. Other than the gobs of electrical tape, all that's unique here is the logo stamped on the shell ... and even that is a modification of the original Coleco logo. It doesn't take months of "working miracles" to come up with that.

• Like 3

If it was just the cabling, I'd be a lot less confident. But when the A/V cable is a proprietary SNES cable, and the controllers are SNES controllers, and the cartridge connector is an SNES cartridge connector, it stands to reason that there's a good chance that the system inside the Jaguar shell is an SNES.

Has anyone seen this "prototype" playing games that are not already available on the SNES? Has anyone seen the Intellivision or Coleco titles mentioned in the launch lineup, or has it only been existing SNES titles on display?

And it's not just that. The geometry of the components is also the exact same. The Position of every single component that can be seen matches the Position it is on an SNES Jr. Every single Piece of evidence Points to this being an SNES Jr. Everything matches.

• Like 2

I'm totally jumping the gun.

Maybe at the Fair Mike is telling people they didn't make it in time with their prototype so they are just showing which kind of games they are targeting to support ... or NOT.

• Like 1

I'm no expert but the cartridge connector in that photo sure looks familiar...

... and crooked, almost as if the board was originally designed to fit inside some other plastic shell, and is being held in place in the Jaguar shell with electrical tape.

(But then again, we're just hating haters, and we love dragging other peoples' good names through the mud for absolutely no reason, because we're all filled with hatred and hate.)

• Like 3