IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

What? E.T. was a horrible game that gave children nightmares and made their teeth fall out.

I used the pitter pattering of ET walking around and slow pace of the game to put my parents asleep, thus extending my gaming sessions into the wee hours.

When they crashed, out came asteroids or demon attack or some other cooler game.

• Like 5

I never saw myself buying this artificial "retro" console, from the very beginning. I recall the original thread announcing the RetroVGS, where I stated that I am happy playing classic games on original hardware and via emulation (with the right set-up). I also expressed my "hope fatigue" as I still patiently await the XM. I was gently implying that I didn't see the Mike Kennedy project ever coming to fruition.

New hardware for old consoles, however, makes me very eager to throw money at the real creator types. That's why I still look forward to my XM and any new Aquarius add-ons that jaybird3rd throws our way. Yes, a subtle plug of encouragement for Jay. Heck, I'll happily help pre-fund Jay's work on his word alone. #AquariusFlashback

Those types of projects will inspire only happy anagrams from me!

More hardware jaybird? = Whirr! A Daydreamer Job!

Well, thanks! Following this story so closely has given me the chance to reflect on my own creative projects, and it makes me very glad that I decided a long time ago that I wouldn't ask anyone up front for funding for any of my projects, hardware or software. One reason is because I wanted them to remain labors of love, and getting money involved would only dilute that motivation. I also knew that, if unforeseen circumstances arose or if my plans just didn't work out, the prospect of not being able to deliver on my promises would put a tremendous burden on me. It was very liberating when I decided that I would assume all the risk, and in the end, I think it's more satisfying: if I've written a game or designed a piece of hardware, and if someone else is interested in it enough to buy it from me, my sending it to them has more of a feeling of sharing my creations with my fellow hobbyists, as opposed to just fulfilling a debt or completing a business transaction.

That's one of many reasons why everything that Mike has done throughout this project is so disgusting to me. It's been said that he planned to raise the money first and then figure out how to deliver on it later, but I think even that is giving him too much credit. Not only did he commit fraud and deceit to try to cheat the people in this community out of their money, when he KNEW he wasn't in a position to deliver what he was promising, but I don't think he ever had any intention of doing so. That's a motivation I'll never be able to understand.

• Like 6

I asked that "blow your balls off" debuffed guy what his stance on this now was and told him if he values his credibility he should admit he was either wrong or misguided..

His response...

"It is comments like that, that have me having to make more videos. Ive been sick with the flu since saturday so it will come, and your comment wont be the only one being referenced.

I will be making 2 - 3 more splitting them up since no one knows how to watch a full video. "

Edited because I may have read it wrong and I was starting to feal mean about what I said.

I can't wait to see how he spins things now. Still not sure if he's the world's greatest troll or a complete tool.

• Like 1

Before I get into the main reason I made an account. Thanks for this thread, it's been an amazing and educational read! Also a laugh riot, though I feel bad for guys like Piko and hope better things come for those who got duped by Mike. The retro community deserves way better than nonsense like this.

anyway lets get to the crux of why I felt inclined to sign up.

$500m being 10% would actually mean $5 billion, not trillion. Still an outrageous number though and perfect evidence of his delusions of grandeur. He really wants to be crowned King of All Gaming.

Another thing to note in a Gamasutra article it specifically mentions Steve Tom Sawyer as his "business partner" and even part-time employee.

I also like the last ominous line in the article: PostalGamer has no publisher support at press time. Its official website had a soft launch this week, and Kennedy says its trade-in program will begin later this year, with or without anyone on board.

Haha small world, Steve Tom Sawyer is a total cad and con artist. He also set up Revue Labs and tried to crowdfund that, then attempted to appeal to #gamergate in 2014 with how his gaming site was going to be super ethical (it wasn't). Then claimed he was attacked by women for being pro-gamergate - when really he was being attacked because he had forced himself into a girls place after a date or two, and was squatting there. It also turned out Revue Labs was getting paid under the table to promote games as well.

He's posting here as @rageofthemage so beware his crocodile tears about how he didn't intend any of this.

http://theralphretort.com/ethics-steve-tom-sawyer-doesnt-have-any/

http://theralphretort.com/side-story-steve-tom-sawyer-faces-music/

Oh hey look! Mike Kennedy owned a 1% stake in Revue Labs and was an "Executive Advisor" for this venture too! Funny that...it's almost like it's a pattern for them to set up shitty half baked ventures and then cry and throw everyone under the bus but themselves when it inevitably goes wrong.

• Like 15

Oh hey look! Mike Kennedy owned a 1% stake in Revue Labs and was an "Executive Advisor" for this venture too! Funny that...it's almost like it's a pattern for them to set up shitty half baked ventures and then cry and throw everyone under the bus but themselves when it inevitably goes wrong.

Seriously. WTF is up with these people?? Here's an idea- go fuckin' make something, then start creating cute little executive titles for yourselves!!

I put quotes around Mike's job title and "Michael Jackson"??? REALLY???

revue1_edit.png

• Like 12

Well, thanks! Following this story so closely has given me the chance to reflect on my own creative projects, and it makes me very glad that I decided a long time ago that I wouldn't ask anyone up front for funding for any of my projects, hardware or software. One reason is because I wanted them to remain labors of love, and getting money involved would only dilute that motivation. I also knew that, if unforeseen circumstances arose or if my plans just didn't work out, the prospect of not being able to deliver on my promises would put a tremendous burden on me. It was very liberating when I decided that I would assume all the risk, and in the end, I think it's more satisfying: if I've written a game or designed a piece of hardware, and if someone else is interested in it enough to buy it from me, my sending it to them has more of a feeling of sharing my creations with my fellow hobbyists, as opposed to just fulfilling a debt or completing a business transaction.

That's one of many reasons why everything that Mike has done throughout this project is so disgusting to me. It's been said that he planned to raise the money first and then figure out how to deliver on it later, but I think even that is giving him too much credit. Not only did he commit fraud and deceit to try to cheat the people in this community out of their money, when he KNEW he wasn't in a position to deliver what he was promising, but I don't think he ever had any intention of doing so. That's a motivation I'll never be able to understand.

Both are very true. You can work at your own pace and on your own terms.

And I strongly believe that Mike was going to develop something, he just needed money up-front to do it. Didn't want to risk his own hide. Better yours than his. And it fits with his style of compartmentalizing everything and transferring and using one venture to fund another venture.

• Like 2

Has this been posted yet?

This was a fantastic video, and a great overview of the entire Retro VGS / Coleco Chameleon saga. The animation showing the DVR board overlaid on the board in the Jaguar case was absolutely perfect! Also includes a lengthy list of links so people can go through all the source material. This will be a great video to point people to who have never heard of the Retro VGS / Chameleon, both now and in the future.

..Al

• Like 5

In short: I owe a lot of fuckin' beers to you out there. If you don't drink I'll provide the Martinelli's sparkling apple juice. That's good shit. Come say hey if you're at a convention I'm at. Would love to shake hands.

I'll take that offered sandwhich!

• Like 1

The animation you made (I assume you made it, please correct me if I'm wrong) showing the DVR board overlaid on the board in the Jaguar case was absolutely perfect!

Not my video, actually. His initials are the same as mine, and I failed to notice that.

I assume that Dangerous Analysis will see your complement, though. He really does his homework, and he's obviously been poking around here.

• Like 3

Not my video, actually. His initials are the same as mine, and I failed to notice that.

I assume that Dangerous Analysis will see your complement, though. He really does his homework, and he's obviously been poking around here.

Whoops, my bad, I better fix that. :D Thanks!

I'm seriously exhausted from this. I really am. I feel like I crammed for an SAT test or something. Yikes.

All I can hope is that maybe, MAYBE, this has made both the gaming press and the consumer just a BIT more cautious about snake oil salesmen who promise the world.

I also hope MK and those in bed with him (in the know, not ones who got burned) pay the price for their interest in swindling gamers with nostalgia.

• Like 3

Haha small world, Steve Tom Sawyer is a total cad and con artist. He also set up Revue Labs and tried to crowdfund that, then attempted to appeal to #gamergate in 2014 with how his gaming site was going to be super ethical (it wasn't). Then claimed he was attacked by women for being pro-gamergate - when really he was being attacked because he had forced himself into a girls place after a date or two, and was squatting there. It also turned out Revue Labs was getting paid under the table to promote games as well.

He's posting here as @rageofthemage so beware his crocodile tears about how he didn't intend any of this.

http://theralphretort.com/ethics-steve-tom-sawyer-doesnt-have-any/

http://theralphretort.com/side-story-steve-tom-sawyer-faces-music/

Wow.... Steve Tom Sawyer is a fucking slimeball. Birds of a feather...

What's next for these jerks who want money for nothin'? I don't think they've tried Gofundme yet...

• Like 2

All I can hope is that maybe, MAYBE, this has made both the gaming press and the consumer just a BIT more cautious about snake oil salesmen who promise the world.

I don't think this will affect any of the larger sites that just saw the Coleco name and thought they had a story. However, I'm sure all the small players involved are certainly more aware of the value of not taking things at face value now.

I also hope MK and those in bed with him (in the know, not ones who got burned) pay the price for their interest in swindling gamers with nostalgia.

I think the only burning he's going to get is the lack of opportunity and traction going forward. There isn't going to be any impact to him legally or financially from any of this behavior, unless Coleco gave him funds. Since Coleco said that the split was amicable, that implies that they're not going to pursue anything, but that could also just be a politeness for a publi statement.

(Also, every time I see "MK" I think "Mortal Kombat" and have to re-think what context I'm in. icon_razz.gif )

I'm seriously exhausted from this. I really am. I feel like I crammed for an SAT test or something. Yikes.

That was the key selling point. I don't believe it was ever about the games - making new ones, ports, remakes, or emulation of the old ones on new hardware. It was about exclusively available cartridges, games took a backseat.

I don't think you can generate instant nostalgia with new cartridges containing neo-nuvo-retro material. But you can enjoy nostalgia with original VCS or Intellivision cartridges or likewise.

• Like 3

I don't think this will affect any of the larger sites that just saw the Coleco name and thought they had a story. However, I'm sure all the small players involved are certainly more aware of the value of not taking things at face value now.

I think the only burning he's going to get is the lack of opportunity and traction going forward. There isn't going to be any impact to him legally or financially from any of this behavior, unless Coleco gave him funds. Since Coleco said that the split was amicable, that implies that they're not going to pursue anything, but that could also just be a politeness for a publi statement.

(Also, every time I see "MK" I think "Mortal Kombat" and have to re-think what context I'm in. icon_razz.gif )

Actually, he can get in legal trouble. If people can prove his funds being moved from gamegavel to retro vgs llc, there's a whole lot of fraud going on there.

ANd yeah, I thought the same thing with the Mortal Kombat thing, haha. Took me like 15 pages before I understood people were talking about Mike :)

• Like 2

That was the key selling point. I don't believe it was ever about the games - making new ones, ports, remakes, or emulation of the old ones on new hardware. It was about exclusively available cartridges, games took a backseat.

I don't think you can generate instant nostalgia with new cartridges containing neo-nuvo-retro material. But you can enjoy nostalgia with original VCS or Intellivision cartridges or likewise.

If these rumors are true about the Nintendo NX being cart driven, man.... after this sh!t storm, they're going to have quite the uphill battle making it sound like a good idea :P

• Like 1

Consumer? Absolutely! You guys got over it pretty quick once you realized it was a SNES Jnr in a box, bar disbelief that someone could be that stupid. There's always a few true believers but I think that comes down to how much you trust someone, and if you've experienced a swindle before.

Games press....no. Speaking as someone who's been very critical of games press over the past 2 years. Any outlet that operates remotely near San Francisco is hired for reasons other than actually knowing much about games. Polygon just the other day wrote an article where they called "Link" of the Zelda series - "The fairy elf hero ZELDA"

The current gaming giants are dying breeds, and more of them are more interested in pushing news out asap, or focusing on people they want to promote. Than they are willing to put time in to dig stories like this up and properly chronicle them. In some cases may not even cover a story at all because it might involve covering someone they like in a negative light.

Note that even in this situation, where are you getting the most info on this story? Youtubers and podcasters (as well as people in this thread) - no journalist at Toyfair would of reported this is someone hadn't watched one of the videos and gone "wait a second..."

Wow.... Steve Tom Sawyer is a fucking slimeball. Birds of a feather...

What's next for these jerks who want money for nothin'? I don't think they've tried Gofundme yet...

You make your own funding site ; ) That's what DoubleFine did for Psychonauts 2 as they set up Fig themselves. DangerousAnalysis also did a rather illuminating video on that topic that basically reveals they played the rules so they can walk away with peoples $$ without any consequence as well.

Edited by jennytablina
  • Like 1

If these rumors are true about the Nintendo NX being cart driven, man.... after this sh!t storm, they're going to have quite the uphill battle making it sound like a good idea :P

I disagree. Despite the many inherent disadvantages of a medium born in the 1970's, Nintendo has the prowess and know-how to make it work. I don't believe Nintendo would play the nostalgia card here. They could play the instant-load feature.

IDK.. carts go against what modern game companies want. They want control of the game and its license and the ability to take it away from you by shutting off a server. And unfortunately, as I understand it, some material has a finite license length. After x amount of years it expires - turn the server off.

Turn the server off to encourage and prod people into buying new games. Can't really do that with cartridges, unless you start authenticating them. Then we're right back to DL only or the current disc-based mess.

And finally, companies are NOT concerned about the longevity of your personal library or collection. The burden to preserve is 100% on you.

• Like 2