IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

oh fuk, here we go again-

http://toyland.gizmodo.com/colecos-chameleon-is-a-retro-gaming-console-every-80s-k-1759157058

Can't read it now, gotta go to class. I'll be back.

Well now that article claims there will be an AV 9 pin mini din connector as they used the old RVGS back picture 3D render.

"The Coleco Chameleon comes out the of the box with a bunch of different video outputs including HDMI, RCA, and 9-pin Mini-DIN. That means you can basically plug this system into any popular television—whether it was built decades ago or came off the rack this year."

You can tell when the press knows its stuff.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

This required 0 knowledge of electronics. He literally removed the board from an SNES Jr,, turned the Switch on, plugged two Controllers in there, and stuffed it into a JAg Shell.

I hear you but the guys previous idea for a hardware build was a pinball machine with a magnetic ball that picked up staples off the playfield.

He didn't do this.

I hear you but the guys previous idea for a hardware build was a pinball machine with a magnetic ball that picked up staples off the playfield.

He didn't do this.

I see your point but it's a little hard to rationalize that he didn't know that he was holding what appears to be a SD2SNES bare board taped to a Jag cart shell with "CC Proto 1" written on it.

It's also hard to rationalize that after all the talk about their own special cart connector they went with a SNES connector without him noticing .... isn't he a self proclaimed retro expert?

I put this in the same bucket as the NFL deflategate, "he was at least generally aware of what was going on".

Also in the end "captain of the ship" applies, he NEEDs to know as he will take the fall no matter what.

If he REALLY didn't know then there's no way he deserves to be Chairman/Ceo or any other Executive in the company ... simple as that.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

And how exactly do you know that?

Did your acquaintance confirmed/spread the rumor or is it your speculation?

[this thread is all about HW speculation as it should be so feel free to do your own, but please disambiguate]

Oh gosh I don't "know" anything. I had heard that this whole idea started in 2012. The rest is, as I said, my take on it and mine alone. All I have is guesses. The Chameleon team does not respond to messages and my acquaintance, well, I don't think he would talk to me now. If he did, his answers would be predictable anyway. Let's just be clear here - I don't have a shred of inside information and I'm not at all connected to this project.

Sorry for the delayed response, my GF is really ill and I'm looking after her.

EDIT: What I meant by "no prototype" is that, in my opinion, stuffing a SNES Mini into his Chameleon shell is not a prototype for a new console by any stretch of the imagination. This is not what you should be bringing to any industry show especially after having so much time to come up with something.

Edited by HkryCrkStudio
  • Like 3

EDIT: What I meant by "no prototype" is that, in my opinion, stuffing a SNES Mini into his Chameleon shell is not a prototype for a new console by any stretch of the imagination. This is not what you should be bringing to any industry show especially after having so much time to come up with something.

This whole thread starting with the posts right after the ToyFair video is exactly about that, we all feel the same way.

And for the CC Edition joke of the hour:

just announced Coleco Chameleon "karma's a bitch" Edition.

On a more business tone, given this circus has already 2 rings (RVGS then CC) I'm trying to imagine if any of us "haters" will ever have to deal with Mike in a business transaction, how could you maintain a straight face? Right this moment as soon as the name Mike pops up I hear Boy George's voice "Karma karma karma karma karma chameleon" ringing in my head ... it's downright distracting.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

I think it is quite unfair to be labeling us here as "haters" when all of the founded criticism has been valid and to the point. Sure there are a lot of silliness going around too but this whole situation can be hard to describe with normal sense sometimes...

The proprietary SNES mini connector + cable and the placement of the power input?

The board that protrudes out the back the same way on the official photos as on the AA'ers reconstructions?

The hidden/"hardwired" SNES controller inputs?

The SNES cartridge port?

The apparent SD2SNES flashcart with Jag cart front attached?

The simple fact that it only played SNES games?

Power button/LED missing despite being super simple to even improvise?

This isnt hating. It is valid hardware related questions and criticism that are very easy do prove or disprove for Mike and his team if they want to.

I think about this whole debacle as a game of chess. Mike is on one side and us critics on the other and he has been making quite a lot of bad moves recently and if he doesnt change his tactics it's check mate quite soon.

• Like 8

I put this in the same bucket as the NFL deflategate, "he was at least generally aware of what was going on".

Also in the end "captain of the ship" applies, he NEEDs to know as he will take the fall no matter what.

Oh I think he knew full well what was in there. I just don't think he did it himself.

We may never know.

• Like 1

I think about this whole debacle as a game of chess. Mike is on one side and us critics on the other and he has been making quite a lot of bad moves recently and if he doesnt change his tactics it's check mate quite soon.

Somewhere in the original RVGS thread a very very wise individual stated:

"the worst thing that can happen to parrothead is parrothead"

That I believe has not changed, on the bright side he is not engaging here in heated discussions, so there's that, he learnt a little.

• Like 1

I just don't think he did it himself.

Is So Cal retarded? I'm serious. How much effort do you think it tales to place a board inside a Shell without modding anything, without soldering, without Fitting any ports or even taking care of hiding what you did?

If Mike wasn't stupid enough to have posted the Picture of the back of the console it would not have been proven this was an SNES mini. But he did. I can see he's pretty dumb. MAybe it's all the pressure. This happens. When you're desperate youdon't think straight. Still, you would Need to be clinically retarded not to be able to place a board inside a Shell.

I don't think this has been posted...

"Retro Video Game Systems, Inc. At the moment the console will not play original ColecoVision carts. There is however going to be ColecoVision compilation carts specifically for the console. At a later date there could be adapters to play original ColecoVision carts which has been discussed, just not happening right now."
---
So Mike is going to milk his Colecovision titles right down to the last dollar and seemingly not even release them all on one cart when you can just buy a Colecovision Flashback with all of them on it for $30. Imagine if the pack-in game is a fuckin' small compilation of Colecovision games...
  • Like 1

Is So Cal retarded? I'm serious. How much effort do you think it tales to place a board inside a Shell without modding anything, without soldering, without Fitting any ports or even taking care of hiding what you did?

Looked at that way, no.

If Mike wasn't stupid enough to have posted the Picture of the back of the console it would not have been proven this was an SNES mini.

In that case, yes. He posted a picture of the back of it.

"Retro Video Game Systems, Inc. At the moment the console will not play original ColecoVision carts. There is however going to be ColecoVision compilation carts specifically for the console. At a later date there could be adapters to play original ColecoVision carts which has been discussed, just not happening right now."

"At a later date," there could also be a fleet of yellow school buses orbiting Pluto. Coming from their mouths, both possibilities are equally likely.

• Like 6

Looked at that way, no.

In that case, yes. He posted a picture of the back of it.

You're right that we'll never know who did this. But I am sure Mike could have done it. And I'm also pretty sure any Hardware guy would have done a better Job. And anyone with even a drop of integrity left would have refused to help in this.

---
So Mike is going to milk his Colecovision titles right down to the last dollar and seemingly not even release them all on one cart when you can just buy a Colecovision Flashback with all of them on it for $30. Imagine if the pack-in game is a fuckin' small compilation of Colecovision games...

He forgot to write the same sentence replacing Colecovision with INTV, that was on the sizzle reel after all and it will give him a way to sell the INTV controllers as well ..... this is the same as the last time around!!!

I've stayed out of this mostly cause I don't have any personal connection to the system (I wouldn't buy one anyway, as I do almost all my retro gaming via emulation), I know and like most of the big names involved here, and anything I would say has been said MUCH better by others then I could. :)

But I really did like what UK Mike said recently over on the RGR thread about this -- and I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him here:

"I didn't see the posts that were deleted but I wouldn't approve of people slandering SoCal if that's what happened. Mike was a long time contributor and popular co-host and, as has been mentioned, his part in the show should not be forgotten.

However, commenting on a SNES Mini being used at the Toy Fair and passing it off as a Coleco Chameleon is fair game for comment.

They wouldn't be the first people to fake a running system at a fair and they won't be the last. It just seems to be beyond a joke now. The Stalinist editing of Facebook comments is not fooling anybody. Wouldn't it be refreshing and better in the long run to just come out and say "Yeah we faked it, our board (if there is one) isn't ready but will be for the Kickstarter, or we will be able to deliver a working board when we need to, we just aren't there yet?"

Amen to that! My thoughts exactly! :)

• Like 1

I have seen dozens of Facebook comments deleted. I don't remember seeing one directed at any People. All I've seen was People saying the truth. Even People asking questions had their Posts deleted. Not to mention So Cal deleted many of his own stuff.

Posts were not deleted because People were offending So cal. He was just erasing evidence so the People with less of a critical eye don't realyze what was going on.

There is no way or even any reason to embelish this. This was a huge fiasco. If someone else without history in the community did something like this he'd be consodered a scammer, banned, and blacklisted. People would Keep track of the guy to make sure he can't scam anyone in the future.

But since he's a friend of many, and a guy who's been around, People are willing to let this go. The only Thing that calms me a bit in relation to this whole Thing is the fact I don't see any possibility of this going through.

• Like 5

Mike lost all his credibility with me when he placed known fraud and con artist Patrick Scott Patterson on the RETRO mag staff, allowing him to put false info and falsified history in the articles....

I told mike he had nerve asking for money when he had a known cheater, liar putting fake info in his mag on staff, and I was completely Ignored!!!!!!!

I really entrusted Mike to redeem himself with this Coleco what a joke

Edited by rjchamp3
  • Like 6

The only Thing that calms me a bit in relation to this whole Thing is the fact I don't see any possibility of this going through.

Come on, don't you at least kind of want to see him have to actually produce a finished product of some kind?

Don't you kind of want him to owe it to people?

And don't you kind of want to see the fools who invest in this get exactly the pile of junk they deserve?

...I mean, I don't...but the little man in the red suit sitting on my shoulder is making a pretty persuasive argument...

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Mike lost all his credibility with me when he placed known fraud and con artist Patrick Scott Patterson on the RETRO mag staff, allowing him to put false info and falsified history in the articles....

I told mike he had nerve asking for money when he had a known cheater, liar putting fake info in his mag on staff, and I was completely Ignored!!!!!!!

I really entrusted Mike to redeem himself with this Coleco what a joke

What does this have to do with the Console ?

What does this have to do with the Console ?

I know that's not how this works, but someone band this dude. For christs sake.

As for the " don't you at least kind of want to see him have to actually produce a finished product of some Kind?"

Not really. To be sincere I have nothing against Mike. I've said it very seriously, many months ago, that his friends should go over and talk to him, because he was in serious Trouble. I want him to just give up, because he can't see there's no way he'll turn this around. He'll just make this worse and worse, invest more time, make more People hate him, and lose even more Money. If he would have just given up after the first campaign and apologyzed I'm pretty sure he'd be able to save the Magazine and the Website. Now? Me personally, I wouldn't even buy a Jaguar Shell from him. Not even if I needed one. And I've seen People around These Forums who've done Business with him before and seem to feel the same at this Point.

And he keeps on pushing Forward.

Sorry. No. I don't really think it's funny. Some moments are hilarious. I like to see humour in horrible things too. But this "thing" has been dead since the first 400 Dollars Price announcement. That alone was proof Mike has no clue. Right there, when he got the backlash he should have realyzed he can't do this. He's not the Person to do this. MAybe no one is. He's just delusional enough to think he could do it. He's clueless enough to think this might work.

Please help Mike and kill this Frankenstein Monster, because it's killing Mike. And he'll bring everyone he can down with him.

• Like 1