IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Online gaming, of course?

I'm curious about 3DO without Electronic Arts, which would be like Coleco without any licensed or arcade games.

I dunno, but of the above list, XBAND is the one I find most interesting, by a mile. I was fascinated by the concept of playing console games online, back in the 90s before that was even thought of elsewhere. I never bought an Xband because the SNES died right around the time I could finally get one, but the fascination with the brand never left me.

• Like 2

I don't get the point of buying the name of Acclaim, 3DO or others of that ilk. Is anyone really sitting around going, "damn, I wish the company that brought us Army Men and it's hundreds of spinoffs was still making games"?

Unless Piko has the license to Wetrix (I think the last Wetrix game was Aqua Aqua, put out by 3DO), in which case I'll happily shut up. :D

Seriously, I don't see any point to reviving these moribund names that have no value to gamers.

• Like 4

I don't get the point of buying the name of Acclaim, 3DO or others of that ilk. Is anyone really sitting around going, "damn, I wish the company that brought us Army Men and it's hundreds of spinoffs was still making games"?

Unless Piko has the license to Wetrix (I think the last Wetrix game was Aqua Aqua, put out by 3DO), in which case I'll happily shut up. :D

Seriously, I don't see any point to reviving these moribund names that have no value to gamers.

Acclaim always makes me think of Mortal Kombat :)

• Like 1

Acclaim always makes me think of Mortal Kombat :)

Sure it does! Even though Midway made the original game, which is owned by Warner Brothers. Buying Acclaim is like saying you bought a ticket to the Bahamas. Doesn't mean you own the islands. What has Acclaim developed on its own?

Just like Atari makes me think of Space Invaders (Taito), Pole Position (Namco), and Star Wars (LucasFilm). Atari has assets, but they aren't exactly "deep cuts" anymore.

Or Coleco makes me think of Donkey Kong (Nintendo), Smurfs (not Coleco), Exidy games (also not Coleco).

3DO is what ... Zhadnost People's Party and other early 1990s joke games?

• Like 2

Sure it does! Even though Midway made the original game, which is owned by Warner Brothers. Buying Acclaim is like saying you bought a ticket to the Bahamas. Doesn't mean you own the islands. What has Acclaim developed on its own?

Just like Atari makes me think of Space Invaders (Taito), Pole Position (Namco), and Star Wars (LucasFilm). Atari has assets, but they aren't exactly "deep cuts" anymore.

Or Coleco makes me think of Donkey Kong (Nintendo), Smurfs (not Coleco), Exidy games (also not Coleco).

3DO is what ... Zhadnost People's Party and other early 1990s joke games?

3do makes me think of Plumbers Don't Wear Ties :P

(and I agree with all your statments in your post I must add as well)

• Like 1

Now I got an email from Eli regarding the Game Gavel site. They're planning to re-implement it from scratch to get additional functionality, a more modern look and to get away with the license fees from using the software. Some of the planned features are classifieds and inventory management that will work both with GG, eBay and Amazon.

I haven't been on the site for years, but if changes for the good are to be made perhaps it has a future unless Facebook groups have taken over the part of the market that eBay and Amazon don't cover?

• Like 1

TBH, I'd be willing to browse the new Game Gavel. It all depends on what you make of it. I used the old GG a couple times to get Famicom and WonderSwan games dirt cheap because no one else was looking for them there.

If it flops then so be it, but he should get his fair chance to start fresh. However, the Kennedy Curse has been pretty damn consistent so far, so the odds aren't that fair to start with.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

TBH, I'd be willing to browse the new Game Gavel. It all depends on what you make of it. I used the old GG a couple times to get Famicom and WonderSwan games dirt cheap because no one else was looking for them there.

If it flops then so be it, but he should get his fair chance to start fresh. However, the Kennedy Curse has been pretty damn consistent so far, so the odds aren't that fair to start with.

I think the name site would do better maybe if the name Game Gavel died.

• 1 month later...

CODE RED URGENT FOR REALS

Putting it here in this snarky thread just to make sure people see it ...

The "promise" of the Coleco Chameleon, an affordable FPGA system that plays old cartridges with style on new machines, is actually coming, and Kevin Horton (Kevtris) is part of it. It's very likely he'll bring his FPGA "core store" to it as well. I have ordered a black one and eagerly await this project's delivery in February 2018.

https://www.analogue.co/pages/store/

More about it, including background, here:

https://retronauts.com/article/622/the-ultimate-nes-gets-a-super-follow-up-mdash-and-this-ones-priced-to-sell

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/d7q93x/kevtris-kevin-horton-cyrogenics-retro-gaming

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/16/16459182/analogue-super-nt-snes-console-price-release

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/16/16481824/super-nt-super-nintendo-analogue

There are other threads discussing this. If you want to read/say more about this, I think the best place would be here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/

• Like 6