IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Interesting they mention having an Amiga core. The code of Minimig (FPGA Amiga) is open source under GPL3, so as long as they respect the license terms I suppose they can use it for free.

I'm not aware of any open source INTV cores though.

Edited by Newsdee

So what's next?

Mike attempt at explaining just makes it even more obvious they still had no real proto.

The whole PR management so far has been a nightmare (part 2).

As the President and face and "mouthpiece" of the company he's proven he really should not be any of those roles.

We know they'll keep posting new Tiers (as if) until the KS day.

Would that really matter what they promise on the KS day?

What hardware can be "under the hood" to WOW anyone when Mike's implicitly stating that PS2 graphics is/was out of the question since the day they threw John under the bus?

[although for 2D gfx at lo-res up to 224/240/288 lines depending on the old systems "emulated" you don't actually need all that much]

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

The more we hear from the mouthpiece, the worse it gets. Wow. Just, wow.

Thanks kevtris for the comprehensive opinion. I hope it's enough to counter all the brainless media repetition of "COLECO" press releases, and consumer impulse buyers when this hits Kickstarter.

It would be a mercy killing to stop this project now. There's a moderately interesting book or screenplay in here, or a B plot for "Ready Player Two."

• Like 7

Thanks for that roundup, Kevtris.

One good aspect of this whole thread and debacle is that i have learned something about FPGA and cores, devboards and glimpses of the hardships involved in accurate emulation as well as hardware.

How many days to the KS now?

• Like 1

This thread is becoming the greatest thread to ever exist since the invention of sewing.

FYI, a USB sewing machine core may be in the works.

The more we hear from the mouthpiece, the worse it gets. Wow. Just, wow.

Pretty brazen, isn't it? How does one go through the kind of scrutiny from the RVGS campaign and not come back with a bulletproof plan?

• Like 1

New media story about My Favorite Thing. Nice headline:

"Coleco Chameleon Will Run All Atari 2600 Games"

http://m.gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/coleco-chameleon-will-run-all-atari-2600-games-804378

The author's bio says "Akhil identifies himself as a stickler for detail and accuracy, and strongly believes that robots will one day take over most human jobs."

• Like 6

http://m.gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/coleco-chameleon-will-run-all-atari-2600-games-804378

The author's bio says "Akhil identifies himself as a stickler for detail and accuracy, and strongly believes that robots will one day take over most human jobs."

So they are licensing Atari IP now. I assume the usual Flashback fodder like with Coleco and Intelli. The plot thickens...

I was unaware that Atari owns the entire 2600 library. Someone should inform AtGames about this so they can get the entire library too.

• Like 2

Licensing? Maybe. Or it's just lazy bulk content "journalism" designed for getting hits and tweets (I found this multiplied all over Twitter). One would assume Atari has better search engine optimization results than Coleco.

Can run all Atari 2600 games? Sure, everything can do that. WILL run all those games? NOPE

• Like 3

FjjjKBCm.jpg

Okay, so I started turning these out like mad, and I'm not going to lie, some of them got pretty crude, so I'm not going to subject anybody to them...for now. But here's a decent resolution psd file for making your own. I haven't quite gotten the layout where I like it on this improved template, but there's room enough for creativity. It's not the best or anything, but meme away.

I expect to see great things.

COLECO MEME HI-REZ.zip

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 5

We have a week to prepare polite, respectful questions for their Kickstarter campaign. Some suggestions, assuming they aren't addressed up front:

- Why haven't you shown us the inside of the Toy Fair "prototype?" There are a lot of people who believe that you simply put a mini Super Nintendo board in your custom Jaguar shell. If this is not true, what was in there?

- What is your plan for quality testing the FPGA cores you have written/acquired?

- Can you explain how your device is significantly better than software emulation? It seems less flexible, especially if it cannot be updated.

- Will the Chameleon receive any post-release hardware support if we receive a unit with defects? The COLECO ADAM was infamous for its return rate.

- Several press outlets are talking about Atari 2600 compatibility, but we haven't heard this from you. Will this happen, and when?

I think this would be more constructive than jokes or trolling.

Also, I discovered something nice about their Facebook page. After you are erased and blocked for asking a direct question, you can "save" and "follow" them without having to "like" then and have their page show up in your profile. Happy days!

• Like 8

"If Mike goes after Rich from review tech USA...."

If that letter is real then he has already gone after him, whether it's taken down successfully or not. This alone just completely blows my mind because he runs a magazine with opinions in it.

• Like 4

It's disgusting to see Mike throwing John under the bus like that. Even if it was true that John refused to make a prototype, still it is Mike's responsibility as the lead of the Project to make things work. But guess what? John was probably working for free, wasting his time and Money on this scam, and now he's accused of being at fault. Mike even admits he had another Team. Even though that's inacurate for all we know, because word out is he had 2 Teams working on this before John. And again, as far as I know, working for free. And when Mike felt they were not needed, they just got the boot. And now the new Hardware guy is to be Held responsible? All evidence Points that it wasn't a Hardware guy who made this "prototype". This hack Job is a disgrace even to scammers. Any Jerk out there who wanted to pull one on other People would have made a power Switch and LED work. And probably go through the Trouble of rounding a couple more edges. At least beyond the Point of just taping stuff together.

• Like 6

Personally I don't think people hate the concept of RetroVGS,

just that people are angry since this project is rising Red Flags

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why doesn't Mike open his console up, since he claims its a emulation machine which is logical emulation , so their sure only be off the shelf parts inside their console such as the ARM Processor, FGPA, HDMI interface, USB interface, power supple, and other common components

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why doesn't he show off his emulation cores especially SNES Core to Real Tech Reviewers, since he claims its almost perfect????

Would help him gain a lot more kick-starters

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The 135 dollar price also seem a little low for all the features he has claimed,

ARM Processor and FGPA would be a lot of the price especially if the FGPA is powerful enough for SNES Emulation

^.

I am somewhere between indifferent and interested as far as the concept (it's hard to be sure because I'm not sure what the concept is from one day to the next) but when the salesman lies, I walk.

They should get Wes Craven for the spokesman, this thing is a Nightmare. I can see it now:

Remember Wes. Mini SNES.

I think he said probably a US$400-500,000 goal?

Interestingly, if he sells all 1500 of his $135 Early Bird that gets him $202,500; halfway to a $400,000 goal and not even including extras and shipping (which gets added tot he fund total, too). He just needs 1317 more @ $150 to make around $400,000.

So can he sell some 2817 consoles (or even fewer with carts and extra controllers)? And will he be able to produce them for the price? Kickstarter takes its share first (20%?). Manufacturing takes a cut. Programming takes a cut. COLECO either gets a cut or someone gets reimbursed. All the managers need money too. And then there's the game makers needing something for their work ...

Right?

• Like 7

If that letter is real then he has already gone after him, whether it's taken down successfully or not. This alone just completely blows my mind because he runs a magazine with opinions in it.

According to Rich's twitter feed, they agreed to not go after him as long as he does a 2nd video once the kick starter launches and they release specs.

Looks like Mike and crew are not only going after Rich, and deleting all the negative comments on Facebook, but also playing damage control against that hilarious Twitter account https://twitter.com/colecochameleon

Screen_Shot_2016_02_19_at_9_08_46_AM.png

• Like 1

Kickstarter Reward #6 $225: COLECOVISION LOVERS RETAIL BUNDLE. Includes black Coleco Chameleon video game system, one Coleco Chameleon USB controller, HDMI cable, AC adapter + the pack-in game (yet to reveal) + ColecoVision Collection #1 (15-Game Multicart) + one exclusive USB ColecoVision style controller.

OK, reaperman first parody was spot on, now the Coleco Multi Cart + Special ctrl is a KS reward, at 225 it's "only" 45US$ worse than the other "2 games" rewards. Given he kept on saying "at a later time, not right now etc...." I have to say he's been quick to put this into the fray, like 3 days. Maybe it's a good thing, maybe, at least the sizzle reel starts to match his ego.

[i wonder if the special controller works with the rest of the games .... not that it matters really]

Edited by phoenixdownita