IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

It is a good point! I never liked Gamester81 and his videos at all...so I don't expect anything from him/them either way. I can't get more away from them. All I know from Piko is this strange relationship between them and Mike Kennedys project, that everyone seems to think is a con, really. After the Retro VGS video with John Carlsen showing where power goes in and where video comes out and the mini-snes in a jag shell-farce, I am just amazed at how you can choose to take a wait-and-see stance.

There's another guy in here who defends Mike Kennedy because Mike is his friend(by his own statement, not mine)...he doesn't get a pass.

I am wrong all the time, I might be wrong here. I thought I remembered Piko being at Mikes booth, but I think it was somebody else now.

Thanks,

Nicholas

Edit: Not that I don't like the MAN, Gamerster81 :)

I agree with your point, NG dev team stayed away this time around but i do understand that piko and collectorvision do not have as big as a fan base as costumers. I understand that pikointeractive wants to build a brand just like retrousb or ng dev team but i do hope he understands that if this kickstarter turns out the way it looks now, that he should consider getting out before mike's self destructive nature comes out after the fall out. Mike has no problem saying that other people are at fault or throwing people on his team under the bus. I like piko but i do feel uneasy with people who decided to be involved in this train wreck after knowing what happened in newyork.

I agree with your point, NG dev team stayed away this time around but i do understand that piko and collectorvision do not have as big as a fan base as costumers. I understand that pikointeractive wants to build a brand just like retrousb or ng dev team but i do hope he understands that if this kickstarter turns out the way it looks now, that he should consider getting out before mike's self destructive nature comes out after the fall out. Mike has no problem saying that other people are at fault or throwing people on his team under the bus. I like piko but i do feel uneasy with people who decided to be involved in this train wreck after knowing what happened in newyork.

....I think there is a chance that the 'buy time'-strategy expands beyond the main CC team.

• Like 1

Here's the thing with FPGAs, once the code for one is mature it can be turned into an ASIC and sold at low cost. It is also much more power efficient to run a hardware clone than an accurate emulator, as the FPGA chips often need less power than the original machine.

The reason I like FPGAs (especially open source efforts) is that they lead to something new: fully compatible clone hardware and possibly extensions to the original. The Everdrives and CD drive replacements done for the Dreamcast and Saturn are examples of things made possible using this technology. A fully-compatible NES clone would allow building new NES or Famicom (compatible with carts and identical in all ways to the original) without cannibalizing older machines.

There is no project right now promising that. My point is that the current efforts lead there by having people take over and expand previous projects. Open source has been running for years in software, but I understand it's newer for hardware.

Current offerings such as the MiST combine an ARM with a tiny firmware to handle things like SD card load and on-screen menus. HDL projects like the Minimig (runs on MiST but also other boards) also offer a wide range of configuration options that rival good emulators, but this is limited to mature cores aiming faithful reimplementation (rather than just play games).

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 3

You need to do what many people do, open a "toy account". ;)

I have an allowance, but it's only $10/day and I want it now!--I want it now!--I want it now! :P

A toy job doesn't hurt either. I referee youth soccer games as I enjoy the sport and it motivates me to get off of my butt. Then motivation to earn $ to save for toys.

One thing about that is you kind of have to be honey badger don't care with the parents.

• Like 1

My replica so far, I am waiting on the extensions and a few other bits for authenticity, but this is how I imagine it was constructed.

hard·wired

/ˌhärdˈwī(ə)rd/

adjective

1. connected with an ordinary removable plug that is hidden underneath, or inside of, a Jaguar shell.

(Definition from the COLECO Business English Dictionary © COLECO Press)

• Like 5

A lot of folks believe FPGA recreates the hardware exactly - resulting in perfect emulation. This is not true at all. There is no transistor-level recreation going on.

Well... FPGA doesn't achieve the results the same way, but it can achieve identical logic, timing, and speed which means identical operation and functionality. Few gamers will lament the differences at the transistor level.

• Like 3

It is a good point! I never liked Gamester81 and his videos at all...so I don't expect anything from him/them either way. I can't get more away from them. All I know from Piko is this strange relationship between them and Mike Kennedys project, that everyone seems to think is a con, really. After the Retro VGS video with John Carlsen showing where power goes in and where video comes out and the mini-snes in a jag shell-farce, I am just amazed at how you can choose to take a wait-and-see stance.

There's another guy in here who defends Mike Kennedy because Mike is his friend(by his own statement, not mine)...he doesn't get a pass.

I am wrong all the time, I might be wrong here. I thought I remembered Piko being at Mikes booth, but I think it was somebody else now.

Thanks,

Nicholas

Edit: Not that I don't like the MAN, Gamerster81 :)

If you cant really see our stance, and our (at least attempt?) at professionalism, I can't really help you. I've tried to be as clear as water without being negative about the project.

I'm a "glass half full (or at least a bit full)" kind of guy.

• Like 10

If you cant really see our stance, and our (at least attempt?) at professionalism, I can't really help you. I've tried to be as clear as water without being negative about the project.

I'm a "glass half full (or at least a bit full)" kind of guy.

Please don't let AE35 get to you. I don't think anyone else here blames you for anything that's going on with the project. You're an innocent 3rd party who's caught in the middle of this mess.

• Like 1

Daniel Kayser in that RETRO talk audio... okay. You say it's the all amazing prototype.

The back of the unit is a Salvage connector from the SNES itself (doesn't say Jr, lol).

The board inside... yeah, that's real, that's the production hardware! (so, this thing ships in 50 days? hahahah).

Fastest Deliverable on KS ever!!!

Man seems to be falling on his sword. Hopefully stuff works out for him.

http://readretro.com/features/talk-retro-24/

• Like 1

Daniel Kayser in that RETRO talk audio... okay. You say it's the all amazing prototype.

pro·to·type

/ˈprōdəˌtīp/

noun

• a completed product that was created by someone else, repackaged inside or hidden underneath a Jaguar shell as a representation of what one would like to create, for the purpose of convincing someone else to pay for it first.

(Definition from the COLECO Business English Dictionary © COLECO Press)

• Like 8

Holy Sh*t.

edit: Pics didn't appeared on the quote.

A bit speechless.

You mean because of the uncanny resemblance? Or the marksmanship?

post-4118-0-92554500-1456011161.jpg

post-4118-0-13250800-1456011171.jpg

post-4118-0-30281300-1456011179.jpg

We are missing a picture from the back, somehow in Mike's back picture it looks like it was all black there too .... maybe spray painted? Who knows.

EDIT: I truly hope no working Jaguar was harmed in the making of the proto-replica (I don't even know how to call it).

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

You mean because of the uncanny resemblance? Or the marksmanship?

post-4118-0-92554500-1456011161.jpg

post-4118-0-13250800-1456011171.jpg

post-4118-0-30281300-1456011179.jpg

We are missing a picture from the back, somehow in Mike's back picture it looks like it was all black there too .... maybe spray painted? Who knows.

On the closed shell pic it has a bit resemblance of what I saw; (I didn't see the insides even when I asked several times, so I can't comment on that.)

Although I do recall the back with tape being much wider.

Or I might be going crazy.

• Like 3

On the closed shell pic it has a bit resemblance of what I saw; (I didn't see the insides even when I asked several times, so I can't comment on that.)

Although I do recall the back with tape being much wider.

Or I might be going crazy.

Video link is here:

https://www.facebook.com/RETROVGS/videos/947471695322101/

go to 0:16

EDIT: keep in mind that at the time of the video neither the AV cable nor the power cable are connected yet. Can't tell about the ctrls but if they're plugged via extension it's irrelevant.

EDIT2: from an older galax post [as you can see the taped part is not that wide]

post-39360-0-98311400-1455546721.jpeg

post is:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/page-44?do=findComment&comment=3441110

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2