IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

so if you have a prototype...and you are not going to show any sort of anything to gamers as you develop, yet you say you have games, as in 'more than one game'...then i guess continue to shoot yourself in the foot and flaunt the cosmetics

I'm not exactly rooting for these guys, but to give them the benefit of the doubt, it's s possible they are under a NDA to not talk about specifics until it's unveiled at the toy show. Who knows who else they are dealing with asides from the folks that currently own the Coleco name. I suppose the point is, they aren't going in on this entirely alone now, so there might be other forces that are keeping them from talking about detailed specifics at the moment. While it's entertaining to see everyone speculate, it's probably best to wait until February before jumping to conclusions.

• Like 5

if they were under an NDA, why would they have told me they had the 3rd iteration of the prototype running on hardware with game(s) at all? i'd think not, they didnt say anything about that publicly from what i can tell. so why respond to a public question privately, but ignore me when i inquire further about the developers in an effort to find out who to contact to see if they need audio design work done or even if any of these developers have a sound team in place. i figured if i was gonna do it that now was the time, or that time had maybe recently past. i also asked because i figure that i know enough people who write music for games or film or tv. noone has mentioned anything of a coleco chameleon, its been me telling people about the system, even among hardcore gamers. i guess maybe thats not their market after all? maybe this is gonna wind up being some asder type stuff?

Well, the guys behind it claim that they will be unveiling a working prototype at the New York Toy Fair in February. They also claimed back in December that they would be unveiling games for it troughout January but so far we've seen nothing of the sort and it's the 21st today.

Come to think of the silence about the games they promised, the eerie silence from these guys the last few weeks is actually quite scary and unnerving...
Nothing from them on their Twitter since January 9th when they were looking for devs to make games to put on their carts and revealed tooling for the power button and light pipe...
Nothing on their Facebook page since December 18th except the occasional reply to comments, the latest one in their Dec. 18 post when they answer "Yes" to a person asking if there will be a playable prototype at the fair.
Nothing new at all on their webpage except the same 3D renders of their console and in my opinion ridiculous press release as before and links to their twitter and facebook, which as stated above hold the eerie silence of a small town street at night.

Couple that with the apparent NDA that every potential developer we know about appears to have signed making them quiet too. yes, everyone involved directly or indirectly seems to have gone underground to some extent and I don't know if this is an actual marketing move and a sign that they finally learned to be quiet about things they apparently know nothing about themselves or blatantly lied about, or if the silence is because something is genuinely wrong.

• Like 2

Most probably they're having trouble going through thousands of games comming to them, and trying to filter the ones that fit their Vision on the future of gaming. They'll have to be very selective as to which titles are going to bring cartridges back to the Forefront in gaming. It obviously takes many man hours to thoroughly playtest the games, give everyone a fair Chance and be sure they're making the best choice for the customers.

Most probably they're having trouble going through thousands of games comming to them, and trying to filter the ones that fit their Vision on the future of gaming. They'll have to be very selective as to which titles are going to bring cartridges back to the Forefront in gaming. It obviously takes many man hours to thoroughly playtest the games, give everyone a fair Chance and be sure they're making the best choice for the customers.

Especially if they want to make sure the games are bug free, while limiting themselves to six launch titles so as not to flood the market.

• Like 2

Nothing on their Facebook page since December 18th except the occasional reply to comments, the latest one in their Dec. 18 post when they answer "Yes" to a person asking if there will be a playable prototype at the fair.

For whatever reason, the FaceBook page isn't sorting their updates by date.

You've missed two updates, on Dec. 30th and Jan 15th, that show that they're still focusing on the most critically important factor for their future success ... getting the "Coleco Chameleon" logo on to the Jagwire case mold.

• Like 2

I think the cart fairy is gonna put a bunch under Mike's pillow tonight.

Normally silence is good but when a company says games are gonna be announced all throughout a month and none get announced, I have to think it's probably not a good thing. Especially since the company isn't even attempting to establish any rapport with potential fans.

Plus, when was the last time you saw any professional company randomly hit up Twitter asking for developers looking to put things on carts? Unless he's paying these people something up front, I doubt there are many devs who will go through hours and hours of porting so their game is on a cart on a system with no esteem.

I can't wait for ShopDrop&Retro and Piko and others to get back from the toy fair and tell all what a shitastrophy brilliant idea the Chameleon was/is. I understand there's no photography allowed and it's closed to the public, but surely everyone who visits the booth isn't under a gag order. I expect to hear firsthand something, anything, good, bad, or otherwise, from someone who witnessed what they had to show.

• Like 1

Nope, I'm not going to be at the Toy Fair. I love following this but I would never travel all the way there just to see Mike's puppet show. I am going to PAX South next week though, if anyone else is going to be there hit me up so we can go get loaded.

The Toy Fair is closed to the public but photography and media coverage is allowed as far as I know. There's enough bloggers who are going to be visiting the Coleco booth to have us covered, a few of them even plan to do interviews.

• Like 2