IGNORED

Frogger screen problems

Derek

A local mall has created an arcade with modern crap, and an 80's pay hourly section at the back. All of the games seem to be functioning just like they did 30+ years ago which in itself is amazing. (Their Space Invaders looks like it just rolled off the assembly line!) So neat to go in and play, anyway, I am wondering about Frogger, as it has some screen problems, but not really screen problems, more like something is going wrong with the program. The high score still says 'high score' but the actual score is a constantly changing assortment of letters and numbers, same with the player one score and other words that appear on the screen such as press 1 player start after inserting a quarter. They all are mainly comprised of a backward capital letter R. This is the only game that looks tinkered with as it has a different joystick, and no cardboard around the screen with the tire track that Frogger had, but it is still in the same Sega wood grain that I remember Frogger being in.

I know that I can't fix it, but I think if I could pass on a useful suggestion to the people who run this arcade, maybe Frogger could continue to function, as every time I go there, there are more backward letter R's on the screen, so it is obviously getting near a meltdown!

When in doubt read the manual..... If it working but has corrupt graphic could be a couple of things.

Voltage between upper and lower boards (Which points to bad connector, bad ribbon cable or faulty wiring between board) causing Graphics ROMS or RAM to do weird stuff.

Bad ROM Chips connections/Socketing. ROM chips which are socketed have aged/oxidized due to poor environment. Rom chips need to be pulled and there legs (Steel wool) and the Socket cleaned (Wire brush) About 12 to check

Faulty RAM that has become corrupt due to age or has bad connection to board. (Re-flow solder over connections, clean connections if socketed or replace) 4 to check according to manual.

NB I never worked on a Frogger machine but just reading the manual and experience with other machines doing funky graphics I lay the blame at ROM Chip connections first.