IGNORED

Detecting if software is running on real hardware

peteym5

I did not intend to drag this into another piracy or digital download discussion thread like Mclaneinc and others are trying to do. I never mentioned anything about ripping, making sure the only way people see or play my games is on cartridge. I wanted to have ways of checking if software is running from emulation or on real hardware. Adjusting the display, colors, etc. when running on an emulator. I know when choosing a 'Wide Playfield" in DMACTL, there are some flickering graphics in Altirra along the right side when choosing some overscan modes. Sometimes graphics are indented to be off screen in real hardware are still visible in the emulators. Like my multiplexer writes the 'sit out' sprite at the top or bottom of the player page when more than 4 are displayed near the same vertical position and needs to alternate them.

As a human being with eyes, surely YOU know whether the software is running in an emulator during testing and can react accordingly. If you see garbage in abnormally wide emulated playfields, either fix it or if the playfield width does not represent a common real-world situation, ignore it.

• Like 2

I know when choosing a 'Wide Playfield" in DMACTL, there are some flickering graphics in Altirra along the right side when choosing some overscan modes. Sometimes graphics are indented to be off screen in real hardware are still visible in the emulators. Like my multiplexer writes the 'sit out' sprite at the top or bottom of the player page when more than 4 are displayed near the same vertical position and needs to alternate them.

This depends on your emulator settings. You can choose to view only what would normally be visible on a monitor. Even if you knew you were running on an emulator, how would you deal with things in the overscan regions differently?

I can always disable the wide scan and switch back to normal if running on an emulator. Then again, the player/missile alignment to the play-field would also change.

People probably remember my earlier demos' of Delta Space Arena and reported back to me that they were seeing something going on at the top of the screen, an area usually outside a real hardware display. However, all people need to do is change the Vertical zoom on the monitor to bring this into view. Now the world is switching to wide screen displays, that wide playfield flickering on the right side can almost always be visible. I know about 44 columns of text or about 176/352 pixels are visible on wide play field modes.

The other issue I am running into is using SuperIRG mode on PAL displays. Some people report flickering is more apparent, an effect that cannot be replicated in an emulator or on a NTSC Atari.

I would like to know more about this stretching a player across the whole screen effect and wonder if it is something that can be used inside games for certain affects.

I had been looking for other alternatives to player/missile multiplexing also like re-positioning the players mid line and changing the PM base. I am also thinking maybe trying those interlace 480i modes and changing the PMBASE, colors, positions instead of the CHBASE and see what happens.

I wanted to have ways of checking if software is running from emulation or on real hardware. Adjusting the display, colors, etc. when running on an emulator. I know when choosing a 'Wide Playfield" in DMACTL, there are some flickering graphics in Altirra along the right side when choosing some overscan modes. Sometimes graphics are indented to be off screen in real hardware are still visible in the emulators. Like my multiplexer writes the 'sit out' sprite at the top or bottom of the player page when more than 4 are displayed near the same vertical position and needs to alternate them.

The point of an emulator is to faithfully reproduce the behavior of a real system. If there are issues with flickering, onscreen garbage, etc. that sounds like an issue for the emulator developer to fix.

Addressing the issue in the emulator also helps the next piece of A8 software that comes along. Otherwise, you effectively fragment the platform by creating another "member" of the A8 family that must be treated differently from the others. That's not desirable from the point of view of any software developer.

Edited by FifthPlayer

Sorry Petey but the most logical thing is to make sure it works on real hardware as you are designing a physical cartridge, end of story, if it does not then its an emulator issue but that ISN'T what you are doing, you are trying to get the game to tell you if its on an emulator and that is quite directly a check for piracy so please don't be an ass and deny it.

Yet again you throw out things about digital downloads that was never asked in this thread, I said you ignore an obvious way to make more profit and reducing overheads which is THE TRUTH but I never asked you to do digital downloads in the thread so please cut the crap, I know you won't do one so I stopped asking long ago, if you are going to post about what I wrote then get it right.

And btw, how come you have FAILED to acknowledge my support of your games and rather make untrue allegations, petey, I suffer from severe depression and other similar mental illnesses but your paranoia makes me seem 100% sane.

You sure you are not Pete from Centron 3D?

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

By the time "Parasites" are able to break the protection of my Software Gems, the sale target will be accomplished. The “PIRATES” may finally defeat the protection, but I would have milked the sales to the last possible penny (win/win). Possible scenario? :-D

Some developers typically make their sales of physical cartridges and later release the rom when the sales slow down. Everyone benefits and the developer looks good and gains gratitude points.

But only the best devs are smart enough to know how to do that.

• Like 1

I am actually developing a device that will detect whether code is running emulated or on native hardware. The prototype is big, but should shrink when I get it into full production.

trencher-1.jpg

• Like 2

trencher-1.jpg

By virtue of the fact, alone, that this thing exists, I now understand why they make the parking lots at pubs so damned small... Otherwise, it would only be a matter of time until someone would get pulled over driving it, saying: "Err, Why, Yes, Ossifer, as a matter of fact, I do own the road...". Ha!

First of all this Pete who made Centron3D is from Australia, I am an American in the United States. This other person has not been here for over 2 years since things got really negative between him and other forum members. If I were him creating a fake account, Albert probably will lock up my account again. I am busy working on some new games for cartridge right now, we know my stuff is not vaporware because I did market software already and continuing to do so even after I am no longer associated with Atlantis Games Group and KJMANN. I already had methods of anti-piracy used for prior games and known about several before I even posted here.

Emulators still get updated periodically and are great tools to help develop and debug stuff, but still a glitch comes up that does not reflect the real behavior or display. I can tell you SuperIRG looks different on real displays.

Lol.....Yeah, the prototype is a monster :)

I so want to go to Russia to see that thing....

Well,

its enough if you visit Germany. We have many of these monsters...(made by Krupp as the video shows).

[joke on] We built these things to dig a tunnel from Germany to GB, but driving these monsters to the coast took so long, WW2 was over, before we could start digging... [joke off]

Maybe I can make something on the Atari with these mega machines going crazy, destroying towns and cities and you have to fly in with a Helicopter and destroy them before they cause too much damage. I am not putting down any city where certain members live on here, thought about it.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 1

Maybe I can make something on the Atari with these mega machines going crazy, destroying towns and cities and you have to fly in with a Helicopter and destroy them before they cause too much damage. I am not putting down any city where certain members live on here, thought about it.

No, no, no, It has to be a 1st person Driving Simulator! Now that would be an awesome game! Mass carnage! Something like the music from Hover Bouvver would be ideal, to make it as surreal as possible! Should have an overhead map, like Crush, Crumble and Chomp available, to see your "progress". Ha, that would be great!

No, no, no, It has to be a 1st person Driving Simulator! Now that would be an awesome game! Mass carnage! Something like the music from Hover Bouvver would be ideal, to make it as surreal as possible! Should have an overhead map, like Crush, Crumble and Chomp available, to see your "progress". Ha, that would be great!

The nice thing is you probably won't need much of a framerate.