IGNORED

PacManPlus' Blog - Home 3-D Printers aren't ready for prime time ju

RSS Bot

My wife bought me this printer for Christmas: http://www.amazon.com/WER-Mostfun-Structure-Optimized-Platform/dp/B013WHD2OS/ref=cm_rdp_product

The next day, I spent the entire day trying to get this thing to work. This is what I found:
- Instructions are only in Chinese, although I was able to install the software from the pictures they gave
- No 'step-by-step' or 'quick start' instructions on how to get something printing.
- After leveling the 'bed' (I can't tell you how many times), when you start to print, the nozzle is far away from the bed
- I consistently get two types of printing:
1) Where the filament doesn't stick to the bed and the nozzle drags the plastic all around, and
2) Where the filament does stick to the bed, but stretches the plastic to each new location the print head moves to. This causes the print head to leave a plastic line (that isn't supposed to be there), and when it dries the print head gets 'stuck' moving over it which throws off the entire print job.
Either way, I was unsuccessful getting a complete print job.
- Like mentioned above, I spent the whole day leveling the bed, trying new print jobs, even different filaments, and couldn't get one successful print.

So, a few days ago I request a return and a refund. The seller, while being very nice and respectful, asked me to try things I already had numerous times. I told him that I already tried everything he asked, and I would like a refund (2nd time asking). He gets back to me asking to try a few more things. I reply that I have the unit back in the box, and I am not interested in wasting more time trying to get this to work. If the printer requires this much work to even get one (unsuccessful) print, it is unacceptable. Please give me an RMA to send this printer back. (3rd time asking). I get a reply asking to watch a video they will make. I have now gotten Amazon involved, and gave them the whole story.

I have done more research, and while I have found another printer that I would like to get, I'm not so sure I will get another one.
After looking at *many* reviews for other 3-D printers, the above scenario seems like the *norm*, and not the exception.

I'm not interested in wasting days just trying to get a single print job to work. It looks to me like 3-D printing (for the home anyway) is not anywhere near close to being ready yet.

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/17/entry-12589-home-3-d-printers-arent-ready-for-prime-time-just-yet/