Photo

Red Baron Flight Simulator and Tris

54 replies to this topic

#51 PeteE OFFLINE  

PeteE

Star Raider

• 93 posts

Posted Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:26 PM

Ok, I think Desktop Publisher is mostly working, there were some more unexpected writes to >(6000-7fff) that were throwing off the bank switching.  Would someone please check the manual for how to exit Picture Maker mode: Back doesn't work but Quit does?

Stargazer 3-in-1 converted Ok.

Beyond WordWriter is going to need some more debugging...  :???: 

Attached Files

#52 acadiel OFFLINE  

acadiel

Dragonstomper

• 981 posts
  • www.hexbus.com

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:24 AM

Look at the three links above the ROM chip. I suspect that they were to select for 16K, 32K, or 64K ROM chips, as the PAL was capable of controlling all three sizes. I wonder if the writes to select the unused banks were there as a form of copy protection?

Tursi and I found several of those when we were building the Multicart with the 8K ROMs way back when.  I think he just NOP'd them out.  Whether the writes to >6000->7FFF were there as copy protection, or just errant programming, who knows, but my money is on copyright protection, since DBT was very aware of the things in the market (like Gram Krackers) that could be used.  Forget to write protect thing thing, and you have to reload the cart...  Or, try to put their cart in a bank switched cart, and it would screw up the cart by switching to some other cart.

#53 acadiel OFFLINE  

acadiel

Dragonstomper

• 981 posts
  • www.hexbus.com

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:27 AM

Ok, I think Desktop Publisher is mostly working, there were some more unexpected writes to >(6000-7fff) that were throwing off the bank switching.  Would someone please check the manual for how to exit Picture Maker mode: Back doesn't work but Quit does?

Stargazer 3-in-1 converted Ok.

Beyond WordWriter is going to need some more debugging...  :???: 

Yep, likely copyright protection.  They knew they were CRU banking and not write to ROM banking.  I don't think I have the manual for Desktop Publisher; maybe Ksarul does.  

Awesome on the Stargazer port!  I'll burn a copy and play with it.  Thank you!!

- acadiel

#54 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,216 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:53 PM

I have to check, but I'm pretty sure I have a copy of the Desktop Publisher manual--but I don't have the cartridge to go with it, oddly enough. . .

#55 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,731 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:57 PM

The manual text I have seems to indicate FCTN-9 (BACK) should return to the main menu

Spoiler

This appears to be the code that returns to the main menu. 

CHECKQ LWPI >83E0
       LI   R0,CHKQS2
       LI   R1,PAD+>90
CHKQS1 MOVB *R0+,*R1+
       CI   R0,CHECQ2
       JNE  CHKQS1
       B    @PAD+>90
CHKQS2 LI   R12,>0800
       LI   R1,BNK0
       LDCR R1,0
       B    @>6030
CHECQ2 MOV  @SAVER5,R11
       RT

KEYSEL MOV  R11,@SAVER7
       LI   R3,>2E00
       LI   R0,>0300
       MOVB R0,@>8374
       BLWP @KSCAN
       SETO @TEMP
       MOVB @>8375,R0
       CI   R0,>FF00
       JEQ  KEYSR2
       MOVB R0,R2
       CLR  R4
       MOV  @READY5,R5
       JLT  KEYSM0
KEYSL0 CLR  @READY5
KEYSM0 CB   R2,@KQUIT
       JEQ  CHECKQ

The source contains the following keypress bytes, including KQUIT.  Both FCTN9 and FCTN= are set to the same value. 

KFCTN1 BYTE 3
KFCTN2 BYTE 4
KFCTN3 BYTE 7
KFCTN4 BYTE 2
KFCTN5 BYTE 14
KFCTN6 BYTE 12
KFCTN7 BYTE 1
KFCTN8 BYTE 6
KFCTN9 BYTE 15
KQUIT  BYTE 15

This may explain why FCTN9 doesn't work, if 15 is in fact the value for FCTN-QUIT. 

Edit: added bank equates below:

BNK0   EQU  >8000
BNK1   EQU  >2000
BNK2   EQU  >0800
BNK3   EQU  >0200

Edited by InsaneMultitasker, Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:01 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users