Photo

Red Baron Flight Simulator and Tris

52 replies to this topic

#51 PeteE ONLINE  

PeteE

Star Raider

• 70 posts

Posted Yesterday, 9:26 PM

Ok, I think Desktop Publisher is mostly working, there were some more unexpected writes to >(6000-7fff) that were throwing off the bank switching.  Would someone please check the manual for how to exit Picture Maker mode: Back doesn't work but Quit does?

Stargazer 3-in-1 converted Ok.

Beyond WordWriter is going to need some more debugging...  :???: 

Attached Files

#52 acadiel OFFLINE  

acadiel

Dragonstomper

• 918 posts
  • www.hexbus.com

Posted Today, 11:24 AM

Look at the three links above the ROM chip. I suspect that they were to select for 16K, 32K, or 64K ROM chips, as the PAL was capable of controlling all three sizes. I wonder if the writes to select the unused banks were there as a form of copy protection?

Tursi and I found several of those when we were building the Multicart with the 8K ROMs way back when.  I think he just NOP'd them out.  Whether the writes to >6000->7FFF were there as copy protection, or just errant programming, who knows, but my money is on copyright protection, since DBT was very aware of the things in the market (like Gram Krackers) that could be used.  Forget to write protect thing thing, and you have to reload the cart...  Or, try to put their cart in a bank switched cart, and it would screw up the cart by switching to some other cart.

#53 acadiel OFFLINE  

acadiel

Dragonstomper

• 918 posts
  • www.hexbus.com

Posted Today, 11:27 AM

Ok, I think Desktop Publisher is mostly working, there were some more unexpected writes to >(6000-7fff) that were throwing off the bank switching.  Would someone please check the manual for how to exit Picture Maker mode: Back doesn't work but Quit does?

Stargazer 3-in-1 converted Ok.

Beyond WordWriter is going to need some more debugging...  :???: 

Yep, likely copyright protection.  They knew they were CRU banking and not write to ROM banking.  I don't think I have the manual for Desktop Publisher; maybe Ksarul does.  

Awesome on the Stargazer port!  I'll burn a copy and play with it.  Thank you!!

- acadiel

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users