IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2016!

Charlie Cat

I have really been enjoying my 1541 Ultimate for the Commodore 64. Gamebase v14 also recently came out with some incredibly easy to use single disk versions of some great games like Pirates! and Ultima 4. There are instant load EasyFlash versions too if you have an EF cart or use VICE. I took advantage and managed to get the highest ranking in Pirates! (no trainers or savestates). I'd never done that on the C64 version of what is my absolute favorite game of all time.

post-5812-0-90542300-1451805205_thumb.jpgpost-5812-0-87618400-1451805215_thumb.jpg

I kept forgetting to post as I spent 2015 plugging away at defeating the VCS and NES classics I love and never conquered. Mario. Zelda. Metroid. Pitfall.

What do I accidentally beat during my first ever "curiosity" play of it on January 1st?

You guessed it... Mortal Kombat II for the Sega Master System.

Happy New Year, everyone! And happy gaming!

• Like 1

Etrain Odyssey Untold 2. Dungeon crawler for the 3DS. Good game, just not different enough from Untold 1 and a blander story lost my interest at the end. That being said I put 90 hours into the first one and 80 hours into this one. I tend to do a lot of grinding and class leveling in a game like this with great mechanics and then get burned out by the end and just want to finish quickly.

Had fun today knocking out "Double Dragon II: The Revenge" (NES) on Supreme Warrior mode. It took two tries, it was tricky, and I cut it close, but I eventually punched so hard my dead girlfriend came back to life.

post-41601-0-33959600-1452116835_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikey.shake

I managed to roll the score on C64 Gyruss. It took some practice, but once I took notes on the formations (see below) it was only a matter of time. I ended up using one of the Atari Flashback sticks after trying several alternatives. I suppose there is a way to get a 'perfect' game on this one, but life is too short for that.

I was playing on an original breadbin from a cart on a 1702 monitor. The picture is my 5th trip through. I paused it a little closer to 1 mill but I like this pic better. Note that the difficulty seemed to go down once I got to Earth #4. Not sure why, but it was like that was the moment it chose to cycle back to opening difficulty.

post-5812-0-73882800-1452198655_thumb.jpgpost-5812-0-08204300-1452198644_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I'm going to start off my year with an awesome game. Nothing "retro" but still a good game.

#1: Hotline Miami

I absolutely love this game. It's fast-paced, filled with action, has an awesome soundtrack (So awesome I bought it and threw it on my phone), yet is very simple to get the hang of. I love pretty much everything about it, and it was worth the money I spent on it. My only issue can be with the gun-toting NPCs - sometimes they'll shoot you from a mile off the screen so you need to wear the George mask or hold shift so you can see out farther. Overall, the game is awesome.

(Also, just because I think it's a cool idea from wongo/mikey to do screenshots, I'm going to throw some in with my stuff too)

Completed Jacket:

post-39575-0-51739900-1452308980_thumb.png

Completed Biker:

post-39575-0-88094200-1452309002_thumb.png

Now for the 2nd Hotline Miami, and for all the other games that I'll try to go through this year.

Edited by BurritoBeans
  • Like 1

1. Jeopardy! (NES)

2. Jeopardy! 25th Anniversary Edition (NES)

It's Jeopardy on the NES, but done pretty well -- much better than the Game Boy versions -- though not getting credit for plurals and synonyms is irritating. B.

3. Kid Niki (NES)

Now this is a minor classic of the NES library. Despite some rough edges, it's fun, forgiving, and memorable. A-.

4. Rad Racket: Deluxe Tennis II (NES)

5. Art of Fighting (SNES)

6. Toys (SNES)

7. David Crane's Amazing Tennis (SNES)

8. Racket Attack (NES)

I've beaten all these within recent memory, so no need to rate them again.

9. Adventures of Captain Comic (NES)

Sometimes I think this is my favorite unlicensed game in the NES library, despite all the wrong notes in "In the Hall of the Mountain King", and it's certainly the best Color Dreams effort. B+, which is probably inflated but I don't care.

10. Andre Agassi Tennis (SNES)

11. Chester Cheetah: Too Cool to Fool (SNES)

Beaten before, no need to comment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

12. Target: Renegade (NES)

Beaten last year, no need to comment.

13. Bible Adventures (NES)

Was the Genesis version this aggravating at the end of the David & Goliath level? Somehow I don't think so, but maybe I've blocked it out of my memory. D-.

14. Battleship (NES)

In many ways this is a nicely done update of the board game, but suffers acutely from being too easy (though it's not easy to calibrate AI for this kind of game) and too long: there's no need to play the same level five times in a row. C+.

15. Skull & Crossbones (NES)

I've beaten this three times now, and still think it's one of the best unlicensed games on the NES. A-.

It begins again! :D

1. Monopoly (Game Boy Color)

I've now beaten every possible combination of opponent characters in this game and for some reason I still keep wanting to go back and play at least 2 or 3 games of Monopoly a week. It's like some kind of addiction! :lol:

2. Touch the Dead (Nintendo DS)

It's like The House of the Dead on a handheld, and for that reason alone I love this game. Instead of wielding a light gun to shoot at a CRT monitor this on-rails shooter lets you use the DS's stylus to shoot zombies and other assorted fiends by tapping them on the touchscreen, and reloading is accomplished by dragging ammo from one side of the screen to your magazine on the other. The whole system works very well and results in a challenging game with a good amount of replay value, due largely to the variety of difficulty options, unlockables, and different paths you can take through the game. I highly recommend Touch the Dead for any House of the Dead fan looking for a way to blast some zombies on the go!

3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Mobilized (Nintendo DS)

I ended up enjoying this one way more than I thought I would, since I'm not usually into more modern first-person shooter games. One thing I am really into though is Nintendo handhelds, and there has always been something just kind of wondrous to me about playing a FPS on a handheld. The graphics looked great, the game controlled very well, and the story kept me captivated with some surprisingly dramatic and intense moments that made me want to keep playing just to see what would happen next. The voice acting was great too, which is something I don't usually expect from games like this. The entire experience was so thoroughly enjoyable that I fully intend to play through it again and pick up the other two Modern Warfare games as well as Black Ops for the DS in the near future. :)

Edited by Jin

I just finished Tiny Troopers Joint Ops Zombie Edition on PS4. A port of both Tiny Troopers 1&2 from Android + "all new zombie campaign" The game is pretty fun for a budget title. But each mission is basically destroy, survive, or protect so it gets dull by the end of its 70 levels. 7 levels make up the "new" zombie campaign which are all actually just levels from the Spec Ops campaign that have been retextured and had the enemy's replaced with zombies.

I also encountered several bugs. In one level one of my troopers somehow got stuck in the air and my other troopers couldn't move to far from him so I had to quit. The last levels of the spec ops campaign kept booting me out of the game several times. And walking through trees the troopers will often get stuck, you can push them loose but if your in range of enemy airstrikes your screwed.

Also if you die and have no medals to resurrect you have to start over because you'll lose all the ranks you've earned. I found a way around this tho. If you die and quit the game you get your life back when you restart :)

All in all its a fun game but not something I would recommend to run out right now and get.

I've run through four games so far this year:

Golden Axe (Arcade via MAME on my Wii):

I was bored the other day and wanted to run through Golden Axe, so I popped this on. I like the ending on this one, where all the enemies escape the arcade and the heroes run after them!

Golden Axe II (Genesis):

I kept rolling after beating the 1st one and ran through Golden Axe II. I used to have a lot of trouble with this game as a kid, but it was no problem now.

Chiki Chiki Boys (Genesis):

Love this game. I bought it when I was a kid at KB Toys out of the bargain bin because I liked the cover, and that turned out to be a great decision. One of my favorite platform hack and slash games, and a ton of fun to play.

Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition (Genesis):

Does this even count? :lol: I played through with Ken, so I had to watch him get married at the end.

• Like 2

post-5812-0-42622300-1453688314_thumb.jpgpost-5812-0-87131400-1453688323_thumb.jpg

I beat C64 Arkanoid! It took A LOT of practice, but I finally did it.

Tips:

Get as many bonus capsules as you can because their points get you extra men faster

EXCEPT - Don't get the "D" capsule unless you plan it well ahead. When in doubt don't divide that ball

One reason to avoid D is that while multiple balls are live, no other capsules will fall.

The laser is tempting, but use it sparingly. I can't tell for sure, but I think fewer capsules fall when you shoot bricks as opposed to breaking them

Don't always skip a board when you get the opportunity. The levels are planned in such a way as to give you the opportunity for big points on some. Don't skip those points.

• Like 3

I just beat "Trojan" for the NES with some assistance from Austin's playthrough. Thanks, guy. Knowing that you can find hidden items by slashing and remembering where those items are makes this game a lot less frustrating. Anyone having trouble, you can find a hidden "P" powerup in the manhole in part two of the first stage that strengthens your attack. Get it and keep it as long as possible.

• Like 1

Sat down for some "before-bed retro gaming" with Mrs. S, and together we beat Double Dragon for the Sega Master System. I only recently got the system after always kinda wanting one, and the bundle I saw listed coming with DD was a big reason I finally bit the bullet.

I'd always seen the SMS port compared to the NES version. It might have 2-player and be more "arcade accurate", but the flicker and bare-bones nature left something to be desired. Even so, it was a blur of co-op 8-bit fists bashing their way through the game, trotting along on delicate little feet, all the way to Machine Gun Willy. Mrs. Shake had never seen the true end of a Double Dragon game before, and even though I told her about the "duel" ending, she was taken somewhat off guard. But we butted heads until one of us came out victorious. Now I can say I've done it, and I had fun, and I'll definitely get more use out of that cart. Good times, Happy 2016.

IMG_2923.jpg

Now I just need to beat the handheld Double Dragon LCD game that came in the mail today. ;-)

Well, they're a few days back, but I have two to add to the list

2: Batman & Robin - Game.com

Ehh, it could've been better but well, that dang screen kills it. The game is a fairly standard sidescrolling beat 'em up you could say, with Batman & Robin themed stuff throughout it. Gameplay is OK, but I felt that combat wasn't all too great. The whole screen factor of the Game.com doesn't help, either. On a good note, the backgrounds and sprites seemed to look pretty nice to me. It's OK could've been better.

3: Duke Nukem 3D - Game.com

This one was one that I was kinda looking forward to as I like Duke Nukem, and well, it's different. You're constantly stuck looking forward and just move to the sides like a strafe. The game plays like Akalabeth almost with how movement feels, that is if you couldn't turn, as you just have a screen showing what's in-front of you and it jerks forward to the next screen as you move around. Sprites look fine, levels are OK, and Dukes voice sounds stupid but it passable I guess. This one was OK, but not my first choice of a game I'd want to play on Game.com (Centipede takes that spot at the moment)

(No screenshots for the Game.com games, I'm using the real console and my camera won't pick up the screen on the game.com worth crap... not like you can see it by default lol.)

Edited by BurritoBeans
  • Like 1

4. Resident Evil: Deadly Silence (Nintendo DS)

Not a year goes by that I don't play through some version of my all time favorite video game: The original Resident Evil. This time it was the Rebirth mode in RE: Deadly Silence playing as Jill, and I gotta say that this DS port is one of my absolute favorite versions of Resident Evil. Rebirth mode is fairly easy with all the extra ammunition you get from the treasure chests exclusive to the DS version, but I love the addition of knife fighting sequences and the fact that Jill can finally use the flamethrower in it. The whole play through was really enjoyable and I'm sure I'll play through it again later this year with Chris. :)

5. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)

Last weekend my wife and I played through this one together, taking turns completing zones, but since I was the one who completed the final zone and beat the end boss I figured I'd add this one to the list. I think my favorite thing about Sonic 2 has to be the music. I've been playing this game since I was a little kid and I've never tired of the wonderful musical scores for every stage, and the level design is just as good. The only thing I could really criticize about Sonic 2 is how ridiculously hard the special stages are! Even after playing this game off and on for 2 decades I've never been able to collect more than 5 of the chaos emeralds. I never had any problem getting all of them in Sonic 1, 3, or Sonic & Knuckles, but man are those last couple ever hard to get in Sonic 2! Ah well, maybe some day. Special stage difficulty aside though it's still a phenomenal game and one that I'm sure I'll play through many (many) more times.

• Like 1