IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2016!

Charlie Cat

Vigilante (Turbografx-16)

TG16+Everdrive=bliss, but I like to have a little stack of what I consider "quintessential" titles for each console I own. Back in the day, this was one of the games that really drew me to the TG16. I didn't realize it was basically Kung Fu. I liked beat 'em ups, and it looked really nice. Spinning nunchucks, waves of bad guys, Double Dragon-era urban decay. It just had all the right components for 10-year old me, and always seemed to be included in promo material, so I guess I fell for it.

But I still love Kung Fu, so finding out that this was more of the same wasn't a bad thing. Had it a few days and dinked around a little, but when I sat down to actually DO it, it took two passes. It delivered exactly what I wanted and what I expected. I'm glad I got it, and it does look good, and (if you like the genre conventions) feels good too. I'm sure I'll probably play it every so often as a breezy 20-minute diversion, and feel content when I put it back on the shelf and know I'll be getting it out again before too long.

A bit late to the thread, but a few weeks ago I beat Dragon's Crown (PS3), and I can honestly say that it's one of my favourite games of all time. It just captures the essence of gaming so well: One part classic arcade beat em up, another part RPG, and the whole thing is gorgeous, like, almost entirely hand-painted. Such a fun game.

50. Marble Madness (NES)

All things considered, a great port of a great game. I don't know if I've ever beaten it without using the 2P mode/cheat for extra time, but to my surprise I fired the game up last week and beat it fair and square on my first or second try. A.

51. Mega Man (NES)

Still my favorite in the series, even with all its glitches and rough edges, so it was nice to finally beat it without using the pause cheat (detecting a theme here?). Actually it's really not that hard, except for one stretch in the Iceman level where the collision detection gets questionable, plus the famous Yellow Devil. A.

52. In Your Face (Game Boy)

This, on the other hand, is one of the saddest excuses for a basketball game I've ever played. Can you imagine paying retail for this and being done with it in less than 5 minutes? At least Jordan vs. Bird had options, a dunk contest, etc. This just gives you a single game of 1-on-1 or 2-on-2 and you're done, and weak controls and cluttered graphics give you no reason to revisit the game (or extend the gameplay time). The CPU is brutish yet brainless: get a lead and it's trivial to play keepaway and run down the clock. F.

53. Fist of the North Star (Game Boy)

Still garbage, just like it was in 2012 (and 2015). F.

• Like 1

54. Hatris (Game Boy)

Beat this before, and my thoughts are pretty much the same. C-.

55. Chess (Genesis)

This unlicensed Russian game plays a decent game, though it's not as strong as the Chessmaster engine and I was able to beat it with the Black pieces on the highest difficulty level after a few attempts. The presentation is so-so and the interface isn't as intuitive as it could be, but it does store the entire game in algebraic notation, which is a nice perk. B.

56. Jordan vs. Bird: One on One (Game Boy)

A slightly dumbed-down version of the NES game, but now with a lousy interface, remarkably primitive sound effects, and loading screens (!!). It could be worse, but it assuredly could have been better. D.

I clicked through Tales from the Borderlands (PS4) last weekend. Nice enough for the few hours, I'm glad I only paid 10€ for the disc though. Also played through the first episode of Minecraft Story mode which thank heavens is for free - I sure won't buy this dead boring stuff.

I'm rather looking forward to Batman and Walking Dead Season #3 now :)

• 2 weeks later...

57. Super Scrabble (Game Boy)

It's Scrabble, on the Game Boy, and pretty much what you'd expect. The AI is fairly weak, though -- too weak to offer a real challenge to any skilled player -- and while the dictionary is mostly decent it does have some weird gaps (CRASSLY was one). C+.

58. Virtual Open Tennis (Sega Saturn)

Once you've learned the controls, this early 3D effort offers very little challenge, and not much content either -- which I suppose beats playing through a dozen identical tournaments. D+.

59. Mario Tennis (N64)

Normally I try to extract everything possible out of a game before considering it beaten, but having completed the main sequence of tournaments with Yoshi -- plus the Ring Shot and Piranha Challenges -- I'm calling this one done, because expecting me to then do it again with every character? That'd be a good collaborative effort if I had roommates or siblings in the house, but as a solo project it's not happening anytime soon.

Fortunately the game itself is quite decent (if sometimes frustrating), though it's one of those where the players make almost no errors and you have to click through a replay after every shot. I'm not a big fan of the charging mechanic for power shots either -- having to manually cancel them with a different button is an irritant. B.

60. Miniplanets (Genesis)

Available here for download, this fun puzzle-platformer offers about an hour's worth of very engaging gameplay. Check it out! A-.

61. Mega Man 6 (NES)

Hard to come to terms with the uninspired lineup of Robot Masters, though I suppose there weren't too many elements or archetypes left to use. I like the hidden path mechanic, but only once is there a whiff of a clever puzzle -- the rest of the stage design seems by-the-numbers, just like pretty much everything else -- and the game is just too easy. C.

• Like 1

62. Mickey's Ultimate Challenge (Game Boy)

I've beaten this on the Genesis and didn't like it, but for some reason I'm slightly less bothered by this kid-oriented shovelware in its Game Boy incarnation. Maybe it just seems better scaled for its host platform? D+.

63. Heiankyo Alien (Game Boy)

Beat it before (er, twice). I guess a B- is still about right, maybe a B if I'm feeling generous.

64. Harry Potter (Genesis)

You know the scene on The Simpsons where they play that "Worker & Parasite" spoof of Czech 1960s animation? And then Krusty the Clown stands there, mouth agape, before asking "What the hell was that?"

Yeah, that pretty much describes this absurd unlicensed Russo-Chinese (?) game in a nutshell. The gameplay is like Musical Chairs crossed with the worst Pac-Man clone you've ever seen, the graphics and sound are a bizarre patchwork of stolen assets, and it has only three levels. I guess there's a game here, but only barely. F.

65. True Lies (Game Boy)

I first beat this overhead "walk-'n'-gun" back in 2010, but with the aid of passwords I found on the Internet for the even-numbered levels -- for some reason the game doesn't give those to you, even though they're valid -- so that victory had an asterisk.

This time I only used the passwords I viewed myself, so the asterisk is gone. And I enjoyed replaying what, on the whole, is a surprisingly high-quality adaptation of the 16-bit game, tailored well for the demands of a smaller screen and portable platform. A-.

I finished the PS3 version of Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. A nice story that no doubt draws upon its classic namesake (Journey to the West). I wouldn't know as I've never heard the story in any other incarnation. The gameplay is a nice 3rd person action climber with the occasional race sequence. Straight linear storytelling and gaming here.

Probably the best part are the realistic animations. Ninja Theory did a nice job on those in Heavenly Sword and they repeated again here.

I've been grinding through Onimusha 2 (PS2) for the last six weeks. I beat it 4 times, focusing on each of the 4 support character storylines once. One of the runs was on hard, so I basically unlocked everything except 2 extra costumes, which would require at least another 3 playthroughs :-o

Instead I unlocked and beat all three mini games :)

Capcom games beaten in 2016: Mega Man Battle Network, One Piece Mansion, Genma Onimusha, Resident Evil: Survivor 2, Mega Man Battle Network 2, Auto Modellista & Onimusha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I beat Mega Man Zero (NDS) today, first the regular game, then another run through the easy mode of the DS collection :)

Capcom games beaten in 2016: Mega Man Battle Network, One Piece Mansion, Genma Onimusha, Resident Evil: Survivor 2, Mega Man Battle Network 2, Auto Modellista, Onimusha 2 & Mega Man Zero

So, this week I beat Dino Stalker (PS2) on easy and normal :)

This is one of the few games where I'm not aiming for 100% completion - I have neither CRT nor a Guncon and it just doesn't feel like it's meant to be seriously played with a dualshock.

Capcom games beaten in 2016: Mega Man Battle Network, One Piece Mansion, Genma Onimusha, Resident Evil: Survivor 2, Mega Man Battle Network 2, Auto Modellista, Onimusha 2, Mega Man Zero & Dino Stalker

• 2 weeks later...

Final Capcom game for 2016 I'd assume, I just beat Ace Attorney - Justice for All (3DS) :)

Capcom games beaten in 2016: Mega Man Battle Network, One Piece Mansion, Genma Onimusha, Resident Evil: Survivor 2, Mega Man Battle Network 2, Auto Modellista, Onimusha 2, Mega Man Zero, Dino Stalker & Ace Attorney - Justice for All

66. Bionic Battler (Game Boy)

Silly, trivial little game with not much more to offer than your typical BASIC type-in program. I beat all five difficulties in under 45 minutes. D.

67. Airlock (Atari 2600)

Beaten on the toughest settings. I suppose the game's basic issue is the same as Bionic Battler (or worse), but I've always had a vague fondness for Airlock. D+.

68. WarpSpeed (SNES)

Beat Campaign mode, which I've done before. D+.

Historyline 1914-18.

Thegoldenband, you have followed my ordeal in the gameplay tracker thread over the last two years or so. Today, I have beaten the last map of the Axis campaign. Now I have beaten all 48 single-player maps and have played through World War I with both sides. I will add my gameplay times today (no time in the next two days anyway), and I am curious about how much overall time I spent in this game.

I have played this fine strategy game the first time shortly after it was released in 1992, and then on and off every few years since then. I never beat all maps in a row until now. So now I finally consider the game beaten.

• Like 4

One last end of the year update from me. :)

61. Pitfall II: Lost Caverns (Atari 2600)

62. Breakout (Atari 2600)

63. Starmaster (Atari 2600)

64. Doom (Game Boy Advance)

65. Pete Rose Baseball (Atari 7800)

66. Pete Rose Baseball (Atari 2600)

67. Scramble (Atari 2600)

68. Sentinel (Atari 2600)

69. Scramble (Atari 7800)

70. Scramble (Arcade)

71. Crossbow (Atari 7800)

72. Crossbow (Atari 2600)

73. Robotron 2084 *Rolled Score* (Atari 7800)

74. Montezuma's Return (Game Boy Color)

I was debating whether or not to include the various versions of Scramble and Crossbow in the list, since they are arcade games that just loop back to the beginning at a harder difficulty level once your mission has been accomplished, but since they do have an ultimate goal to complete I think they count. :)

Also, since my wife kept personal list of the games she beat over the course of the year you can find both of our complete lists of games beaten in 2016 in the spoiler tag below. Happy New Year everyone!

Jin's Games Beaten in 2016

--------------------------------------------

1. Monopoly (Game Boy Color)

2. Touch the Dead (Nintendo DS)

3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Mobilized (Nintendo DS)

4. Resident Evil: Deadly Silence (Nintendo DS)

5. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)

6. Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS)

7. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)

8. Call of Duty: Black Ops (Nintendo DS)

9. Dementium II (Nintendo DS)

10. Classic NES Series: Castlevania (Game Boy Advance)

11. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)

12. Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PlayStation)

13. Mortal Kombat II (Game Boy)

14. Solar Striker (Game Boy)

15. R-Type (Game Boy)

16. R-Type II (Game Boy)

17. Battle Unit Zeoth (Game Boy)

18. Alien vs Predator: The Last of His Clan (Game Boy)

19. Ms. Pac-Man: Special Color Edition (Game Boy Color)

20. 1942 (Game Boy Color)

21. Resident Evil: Gaiden (Game Boy Color)

22. Centipede (Game Boy Color)

23. Street Fighter Alpha 3 (PlayStation)

24. Titus the Fox (Game Boy Color)

25. Dance Dance Revolution GB (Game Boy Color)

26. Mortal Kombat (Game Boy)

27. Oha Star Dance Dance Revolution GB (Game Boy)

28. Red Steel (Wii)

29. Mortal Kombat (Sega Master System)

30. Sonic Blast (Sega Master System)

31. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Master System)

32. The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return (Nintendo Wii)

33. Orcs & Elves (Nintendo DS)

34. The House of the Dead: Overkill (Nintendo Wii)

35. Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Nintendo Wii)

36. Dead Space: Extraction (Nintendo Wii)

37. Metroid II: Return of Samus (Game Boy)

38. Xenon 2: Megablast (Game Boy)

39. Jack Nicklaus Golf (Game Boy)

40. T2: The Arcade Game (Game Boy)

41. Pong: The Next Level (Game Boy Color)

42. Aliens: Thanatos Encounter (Game Boy Color)

43. Gremlins 2: The New Batch (Game Boy)

44. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex Edition (Nintendo Wii)

45. Jurassic Park (Game Boy)

46. Time Crisis (PlayStation)

47. Centipede: Infestation (Nintendo Wii)

48. Spider: The Video Game (PlayStation)

49. Sonic Advance (Game Boy Advance)

50. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Game Boy Color)

51. Area 51 (PlayStation)

52. Crypt Killer (PlayStation)

53. Mazes of Fate (Game Boy Advance)

54. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Game Boy Advance)

55. Need For Speed Underground 2 (Game Boy Advance)

56. Dementium: The Ward (Nintendo DS)

57. Adventure (Atari 2600)

58. Alien Brigade (Atari 7800)

59. Dark Chambers (Atari 7800)

60. Dark Chambers (Atari 2600)

61. Pitfall II: Lost Caverns (Atari 2600)

62. Breakout (Atari 2600)

63. Starmaster (Atari 2600)

64. Doom (Game Boy Advance)

65. Pete Rose Baseball (Atari 7800)

66. Pete Rose Baseball (Atari 2600)

67. Scramble (Atari 2600)

68. Sentinel (Atari 2600)

69. Scramble (Atari 7800)

70. Scramble (Arcade)

71. Crossbow (Atari 7800)

72. Crossbow (Atari 2600)

73. Robotron 2084 *Rolled Score* (Atari 7800)

74. Montezuma's Return (Game Boy Color)

Mrs. Jin's Games Beaten In 2016

----------------------------------------------------

1. Touch the Dead (Nintendo DS)

2. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)

3. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo DS)

4. Doom (PlayStation)

5. Mortal Kombat (Sega Genesis)

6. Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition (Sega Genesis)

7. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Game Boy Color)

8. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Master System)

9. Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil (Nintendo Wii)

10. Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil Zero (Nintendo Wii)

11. Dino Crisis (PlayStation)

12. Spyro the Dragon (PlayStation)

13. Dino Crisis 2 (PlayStation)

14. Kagero: Deception II (PlayStation)

15. Crash Bandicoot (PlayStation)

16. Orcs & Elves (Nintendo DS)

17. Kingsley's Adventure (PlayStation)

18. Adventure (Atari 2600)

19. Dark Chambers (Atari 7800)

20. Dark Chambers (Atari 2600)

21. Dungeon (Atari 2600)

22. Pete Rose Baseball (Atari 2600)

23. Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PlayStation)

24. Resident Evil 2 (PlayStation)

25. Asteroids *Rolled Score* (Atari 2600)

26. Starmaster (Atari 2600)

27. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PlayStation)

28. Space Invaders *Rolled Score* (Atari 2600)

29. Resident Evil: Survivor (PlayStation)

30. Kung-Fu Master (Atari 2600)

31. Alien Trilogy (PlayStation)

32. Tomb Raider II (PlayStation)

33. Space Invaders Arcade *Rolled Score* (Atari 2600)

34. Pole Position (Atari 2600)

35. Scramble (Atari 2600)

36. Crossbow (Atari 7800)

37. Crossbow (Atari 2600)

38. Tomb Raider III (PlayStation)

• Like 1