IGNORED

Tandy 1000SX still lives! Basically..

simbalion

Pulled my Tandy 1000SX out after over 10 years in storage and am surprised the unit still powers up and works. Unfortunately, my original system disk got destroyed years back and I can't find the container that has the copies and other diskettes in it! Tried a copy of MS-DOS that I had from an earlier Sanyo PC, but that might not be formatted correctly. Wanted to try the unit out as a place I went to last weekend had a fair amount of Tandy 1000 stuff. Of course, with the prices on everything seeming to jump right now, I might just keep it as a showpiece.

• Like 1

If memory serves, the Sanyo was MS-DOS compatible rather than PC compatible; it was similar, but sufficiently different that the DOS will not work. The Sanyo PC was much closer to the earlier Tandy 2000.

The 1000SX should use standard MS-DOS 3.3; I do not recall if there were any Tandy specific additions -- like a setup program.

Yes, the Tandy 1000 will work on MS-DOS 3.3, I can remember trying a generic 3.3 Diskette in it years back. First thing I need to do is get the disaster of a work area I have cleaned up and rid out, hopefully finding my small box of Tandy 1000 diskettes in the process. Then, if those don't work, I will have to see if the disk drives are ok. They power up right with all the familiar sounds, so I am hoping they are ok and I just don't have the right disks at this time.

The Tandy 1000SX came with Tandy MS-DOS 3.2, which has a few Tandy-specific utilities on it. The SX should only be using double density diskettes unless a high density drive controller has been installed in the unit. 5.25" double density disks have a ruddy brown color to the disk surface and a ring around the middle hole. High density 5.25" disks have a black color to the disk surface and do not have a ring around the middle hole.

Thanks, Atari181. It just drives me nuts because I KNOW I saw that diskette folder around somewhere not long ago. Its one of those cases where you seem to be tripping over said item constantly, only for it to totally disappear when you need it! I have next week off, so it might be cleaning and ridding out time.

Thanks, Atari181. It just drives me nuts because I KNOW I saw that diskette folder around somewhere not long ago. Its one of those cases where you seem to be tripping over said item constantly, only for it to totally disappear when you need it! I have next week off, so it might be cleaning and ridding out time.

I am out tonight, but will look tomorrow, if by chance I don't send you a PM tomorrow, just send me a friendly reminder.

And I found my disks! If I had just moved an Atari 2600 last night, I would have found the folder then. Good news is: my original boot disk is ok, I just lost the original copy of disk 2. Even better, both were copied and I found one of the disks with a torn label is actually my BASIC disks. System seems to boot on drive A ok, but it seems the few game disks I have didn't fare as well as the system disks. Well, that or my drives need more cleaning and tuning. Found the primary manual again too. I'm not a huge PC clone fan, but the Tandy 1000 series were the first PCs I remember actually seeing and fiddling with at Radio Shack when I was a kid and seem fairly well built. In fact, when we finally went looking for our first PC in 1998, I went looking for the Tandy series, only to be sad to find out they weren't made anymore!

• Like 2