IGNORED

Contest closed!

The deadline has passed. Many thanks to all the developers who took the time to enter their game(s). I'm really looking forward to spending some time with the creations. Its been lots of fun seeing the publicly announced games progress. The contest results should be up by the end of January.

If anybody wants to continue development of their game, please feel free to do so. However do not submit your progress to the contest email address.

Happy New Year!

• Like 3

Great work to everyone! I had the pleasure of playing most if the entries in my capacity of "entry validator," and I am very impressed with the work!

Thank also to all of you who have just started playing with Intellivision programming; for taking the time to learn the intricacies of our favourite console. I hope you stick around in our community, we could use fresh new blood amongst our ranks. :)

• Like 4

Maybe waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to dare ask, but since

...we had way more than the 6 entries needed for it to be an official contest.

Is this enough generated interest to spurn yet another contest announcement a few months from now?

This would encourage so many more great Intellivision games for the future.

Is this enough generated interest to spurn yet another contest announcement a few months from now?

:lol: Way too early to ask!

This would encourage so many more great Intellivision games for the future.

Contests are fun, but if people want to have a go at creating a game they don't need to wait for a contest. They just need to start learning the language and then see what happens. The most important thing for a new starter to do is to ask questions if they get stuck. Sitting there with something broken and being too afraid to ask for help can be quite demotivating. That fear might arise from thinking "its a dumb question", "my code looks horrible", "people will make fun of me or my game" and so on. At the end of the day people like nanochess, DZ-Jay, Tarzilla and myself want to see people making games and having fun in the process. We'll try and help out, but people getting up to speed also have to put some effort in too. We aren't here to write your game for you (we have enough projects of our own).

• Like 2

I started Intellivision programming in 2008. Back then it was in Assembly Language only, which I hadn't used since my childhood C=64 days, and even then not much at all.

My first programming question to the INTVPROG mailing list was how to fix a stupid bug that was driving me crazy. I posted my code, explained what I was trying to do and what was happening, gave some information on what I have tried already wildly with no success, and waited for a response.

Three things happened at that point that cemented my participation in the community:

1. First, someone answered within 45 minutes of my posting
  2. Second, the response was simple, easy to understand, concise, non-judgemental, and very friendly.
  3. The responder, along with other posters, provided suggestions and alternate solutions to what I was trying to do.

In order for you to comprehend the magnitude and significance of this interaction, you should understand that the bug wasn't really a logic issue or a syntax problem, but a completely stupid, brain-dead conflation of addressing modes when accessing memory.

It's the Assembly Language equivalent of doing something like this:

Let A = "ABC" ' Assign a value to variable A
Let "B" = A   ' Assign a value to variable B? DOH!

And just as idiotic. Yet, nobody judged me, nobody answered with contempt, nobody told me to go RTFM, and they all tried to help. I felt so welcomed, that it not only inspired me to continue, but to ask absolutely any question I had, regardless of how stupid I felt it may be. It worked.

I owe much of my knowledge and experience to the core Intellivision programming community, and for that I am very grateful. My payment to them has been to do the same, in turn, for rookies to the platform. And I shall continue for as long as I can share my expertise, and my feedback is wanted.

I joke telling people that there are "no stupid questions, only stupid people asking them." It's funny and it gets a laugh every time, but my point is to add some levity to the touchy subject of personal pride: Indeed the only stupid question is the one that, not having the courage to ask it, caused you enough frustration to quit a rather splendid and rewarding hobby. I've seen this many times and it is a shame.

So post your questions, either publicly or via PM, engage the experts, post your code, experiment, share the experience, have fun. That's what we're here for. :)

Cheers to all and good luck to the participants!

-dZ.

• Like 6

I started Intellivision programming in 2008. Back then it was in Assembly Language only, which I hadn't used since my childhood C=64 days, and even then not much at all.

My first programming question to the INTVPROG mailing list was how to fix a stupid bug that was driving me crazy. I posted my code, explained what I was trying to do and what was happening, gave some information on what I have tried already wildly with no success, and waited for a response.

Three things happened at that point that cemented my participation in the community:

1. First, someone answered within 45 minutes of my posting
  2. Second, the response was simple, easy to understand, concise, non-judgemental, and very friendly.
  3. The responder, along with other posters, provided suggestions and alternate solutions to what I was trying to do.

In order for you to comprehend the magnitude and significance of this interaction, you should understand that the bug wasn't really a logic issue or a syntax problem, but a completely stupid, brain-dead conflation of addressing modes when accessing memory.

It's the Assembly Language equivalent of doing something like this:

Let A = "ABC" ' Assign a value to variable A
Let "B" = A   ' Assign a value to variable B? DOH!

And just as idiotic. Yet, nobody judged me, nobody answered with contempt, nobody told me to go RTFM, and they all tried to help. I felt so welcomed, that it not only inspired me to continue, but to ask absolutely any question I had, regardless of how stupid I felt it may be. It worked.

I owe much of my knowledge and experience to the core Intellivision programming community, and for that I am very grateful. My payment to them has been to do the same, in turn, for rookies to the platform. And I shall continue for as long as I can share my expertise, and my feedback is wanted.

I joke telling people that there are "no stupid questions, only stupid people asking them." It's funny and it gets a laugh every time, but my point is to add some levity to the touchy subject of personal pride: Indeed the only stupid question is the one that, not having the courage to ask it, caused you enough frustration to quit a rather splendid and rewarding hobby. I've seen this many times and it is a shame.

So post your questions, either publicly or via PM, engage the experts, post your code, experiment, share the experience, have fun. That's what we're here for. :)

Cheers to all and good luck to the participants!

-dZ.

Very well said. I am far too lazy to revisit (and too old to remember) the assembly programming from my college days on the Cyber 730 (an Octal machine). Making video games has been a lifelong dream of mine and while intyBasic is the main tool that allows me to finally realize my dream, I would be completely lost without all the friendly help and support of all the people on this forum and involved with the Intellivision "scene"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

:lol: Way too early to ask!

Yup. I kinda had that feeling. Granted. Ok, a better question may be: In the future, what's going to happen to this particular sub forum "IntyBASIC Programming Contest 2015" as it stands now? If we dissolve it, will we at least keep the threads intact in the superseding ("Intellivision Programming") forum?

Contests are fun, but if people want to have a go at creating a game they don't need to wait for a contest.

True. However, I've been meaning to program a game for a while tuning in and out of here, but the contest motivated me to finally get it going. Too bad I only found out about the contest late November. :(

At any rate, now that I got started, and "in the game", I'm still going regardless of future contests. I was suggesting a contest is a good idea to stimulate new developers on the scene, not necessarily existing ones.

Again. It is indeed a tad early for this discussion.

Edited by PuzZLeR

Very well said. I am far too lazy to revisit (and too old to remember) the assembly programming from my college days on the Cyber 730 (an Octal machine). Making video games has been a lifelong dream of mine and while intyBasic is the main tool that allows me to finally realize my dream, I would be completely lost without all the friendly help and support of all the people on this forum and involved with the Intellivision "scene"

Interesting posts. I too did Assembly back in school. I didn't dislike it, and do understand its advantages, but found it a bit too cumbersome to continue with it when other higher level languages were more appealing.

I did want to program an Intellivision game for a few years now, since I was a kid in fact. I even had an email chat with Mr.Fisher (Nostalgia) himself back in 2003-ish, but - no disrespect to JZ - just found that assembly SDK stuff way too much.

It's not that I couldn't learn it, or I was too old, it's just simply that once I graduated from the education I wanted, I just had no more appetite for the intense academics and studying. I still love learning, but not at that University pace. I was done after banging my head there with the sciences and then business studies. Learning Assembly all over again would be such an effort for me today, and who needs more of that adventure when your life is so much different than it was when you were a University student?

IntyBASIC was the perfect answer and balance. :)

All you need to know is that we are awesome.....and idiots. :)

The dynamic you both share is interesting, and quite noticeable. :)

Yes, you're both awesome, but I wouldn't agree with the "idiots" part.

(And, no, I wasn't assuming THAT either.) :P

The dynamic you both share is interesting, and quite noticeable. :)

Yes, you're both awesome, but I wouldn't agree with the "idiots" part.

(And, no, I wasn't assuming THAT either.) :P

you wanna see the idiots part? Ask them to load a rom onto something, giving them all the instructions on how to. :lol: Edited by pimpmaul69

you wanna see the idiots part? Ask them to load a rom onto something, giving them all the instructions on how to. :lol:

Haha! Pimp speaks the truth. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. :)

Well, I still disagree with the "idiots" part. But if cmart604 wants to argue with me on this, and wins, then we're both idots. :)