IGNORED

180K 5.5" Floppy Drives and Controller

budz2355

Somehow I destroyed my legends save game... Again... After like a year and half.... So pissed I'm ready to just smash the shit out of the whole ti and fucking throw it out the window right now. I just need to walk away from it and come back fresh and try again.

Hmm, if it makes 16 sectors only (not 18), it is 320 KB only (not 360KB) ?

But I am not sure

Mitsubishi-M4851-DS-DD_Nov83.pdf

• Like 1

One useful note: when testing a new drive, use a blank disk with no files on it. That way you can use the disk manager to make all kinds of destructive tests on it without being in danger of losing data. . .on the TEAC drive, it may not be selected as the correct drive number, or it may have been jumpered somehow to require write protected disks. I'll have to look deeply into the manual to isolate that kind of thing (assuming it is the case).

• Like 1

Budz...

I have lost and destroyed data on every 5.25 floppy I own. Don't know why exactly, but between that issue and my serial woes, I feel your pain entirely.

I walk away and come back later. Have done this a dozen times in the last 6 months. As of right now, I haven't turned my TI on in weeks---except once to make a cassette interface transfer video for a newcomer.

Recording the Christmas demo tapes was the last useful thing I did with my setup... Second week in December, I believe, was the final recording session.

As the others have said, don't break stuff on purpose. ;) I break enough stuff on accident. :lol:

And the TI is so pretty!!!

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 2

Budz...

I have lost and destroyed data on every 5.25 floppy I own. Don't know why exactly, but between that issue and my serial woes, I feel your pain entirely.

Budz,

The media is OLD and depending on the disk quality and storage conditions, many of those old disks flake off and can damage the disk drive, the disk, or the one that follows. Constant cleaning can be a hassle and the worry of losing media can really put a dampener on enjoyment, or picking up the pieces afterwards.

I'm truly sorry to hear about your rotten luck. Now 3.5's seem to fair better, but honestly, if you are not a purist, my opinion is to just say, "Screw that old crap" and get << ONE OF THESE >>.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the words of wisdom. My TI is in fine condition, no intentional damage was done to it. I cannot fit my old DSK2 perfectly back in the enclosure, but I am sure I can work around that if I decide to keep it... If nothing else it is nice for making backup disks.

Of course not even a day after posting my *ahem* troubles my daughter forced me to play some TI TigerCub games with her, so my hiatus (read: me being a spaz...sorry) didn't last very long.

Anyway... the reason for this post.... I just bought this thing (http://www.ebay.com/itm/181983442646?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ) in the hopes that with it I won't need a bigger disk drive? I can just transfer the files to this thing and it will work like a big 384K (128k x 3 I assume?) disk drive?

Thoughts? Did I just waste $200 bucks? ...I'll try not to be such a spaz, sorry again and thanks for all your advice again.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the words of wisdom. My TI is in fine condition, no intentional damage was done to it. I cannot fit my old DSK2 perfectly back in the enclosure, but I am sure I can work around that if I decide to keep it... If nothing else it is nice for making backup disks.

Of course not even a day after posting my *ahem* troubles my daughter forced me to play some TI TigerCub games with her, so my hiatus (read: me being a spaz...sorry) didn't last very long.

Anyway... the reason for this post.... I just bought this thing (http://www.ebay.com/itm/181983442646?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ) in the hopes that with it I won't need a bigger disk drive? I can just transfer the files to this thing and it will work like a big 384K (128k x 3 I assume?) disk drive?

Thoughts? Did I just waste $200 bucks? ...I'll try not to be such a spaz, sorry again and thanks for all your advice again.

No you didn't waste your money, those are nice and useful.

• Like 1

Why is everyone buying 5 1/4 drives?

I never used mine after they came out with 3.5 drives?

And then got SCSI hard drives.

Then got SCSI to IDE converters for using EIDE on my SCSI card.

I guess I could use a SCSI to SATA converter when IDE and EIDE drives are hard to find.

Of course 99.9% of the drives are wasted space the TI SCSI card can not access.

• Like 1

whats fairly priced? I have a few on my site

I remember seeing them some years back probably 5 years ago for under $60. I saw them last year for $90 and they just keep going up.

$115 is probably fair. I have seen them go for a bit more at other places on the web. I just have a hard time shelling out $115 x 2 since my drives are still working..or rmaybe I am just too cheap!

• Like 2

they are great, but they aren't impervious you still need to back up the data to more solid media in case your batteries die or you get a wild program or power issue scrambling your ROS

• Like 2

Go to VCF and search for SCSI2SD. I don't know much about it but it looks promising.

Yes, I have seen those before. There are a couple of different ones on ebay. I think they may work with the TI and our SCSI system as both support 64k to 8196k sector size.

Can anyone verify these would work?

HERE

and

HERE

I hooked up a USB drive thru a SCSI to IDE Converter then used a USB portable Thinkpad Floppy drive to the IDE Converter and was able to format

and used the disk drive on the TI99/4A using the SCSI card and DM2000

You can only format any drive to a fixed size limit but it should work.

Edited by RXB

It's alive! ...huge shout out to the amazing Chris Schneider for helping me set up the card without any frustration or blowing things up at all! You are man!

...now what should I fill up my 384k with..?

Maybe everything from Omega's 80col thread..?

Any other suggestions/must haves for the ram disk? ...also the gent I bought this from sent me a whole bag full of ram chips and said it was upgradable to 1 meg. That sound like a good idea sometime in the future?

• Like 3