IGNORED

Missing Arcade-Classics on the 7800

Mister-VCS

Chiller could be made from -maybe- graphic hacking Crossbow. And voices now can be added with the Vox module.

Hmm that sounds like it would work, single screens with lots of sprites is right up the 7800's alley.

Give it face lift in the porting process, wasn't even a looker in it's time lol.

What do 7800 gamers use besides the XE lightgun, does the SMS one work, probably not right? Had an XE come up recently but I didn't have the cash and I don't know if it had the gun with it, not the easiest peripheral to come across but I'll keep looking.

Hard to find much in arcade gun titles, early stuff is so plain and the later 80s stuff is very graphically intense. Best other one I could find was Turkey Shoot 1984 by Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEhuirq_MpI

Don't think this was ever ported either.

Edited by BladeJunker

Chiller could be made from -maybe- graphic hacking Crossbow. And voices now can be added with the Vox module.

And here I'd be happy with the 7800 version of Crossbow hacked to include the title screen from the XEGS version, POKEY audio from the XEGS version, the characters cleaned up a bit, adding in samples from the arcade voices, HSC support, and a Trak-Ball mode. Blow that ROM up to 256K or 512K and that would probably all be doable.

One of my favorites from the mid 80's when I was a kid would be a great 7800 conversion. Buggy Boy/Speed Buggy. I ise to play this a ton at a local Shakey's Pizza in Seattle.

http://youtu.be/5uWaN_9uSVw

Shakey's. Oh how I lament the loss of Sacramento's international pizza chain.

My local one that I went to in 5th Grade to Jr. High was the first place I remember that had Gauntlet. Then Gauntlet II. Paperboy. Roadblasters. Kung Fu Master. Shinobi. Mania Challenge. Operation Wolf. Heavy Barrel. Ms. Pac-Man with the [GCC?] Zoom Button hack! They didn't have a lot of titles but they were all fantastic.

• Like 1

Interestingly, Pie Factory Podcast is going to be interviewing one of the creators of the Blasted arcade game.

Thanks for the heads up, I know virtually nothing about this title, don't think I ever saw a cabinet bitd and I saw most of the Williams games, but not as many Bally Midway. :) Edited by BladeJunker

Hmm that sounds like it would work, single screens with lots of sprites is right up the 7800's alley.

Give it face lift in the porting process, wasn't even a looker in it's time lol.

What do 7800 gamers use besides the XE lightgun, does the SMS one work, probably not right? Had an XE come up recently but I didn't have the cash and I don't know if it had the gun with it, not the easiest peripheral to come across but I'll keep looking.

Hard to find much in arcade gun titles, early stuff is so plain and the later 80s stuff is very graphically intense. Best other one I could find was Turkey Shoot 1984 by Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEhuirq_MpI

Don't think this was ever ported either.

Looks a little too advanced for 8-bit, IMHO. Blasted, that is.

Edited by Lynxpro

Looks a little too advanced for 8-bit, IMHO. Blasted, that is.

Yeah I couldn't find much, the further back into the 80s for gun games and it gets really simplistic, like stuff the 7800 would have no trouble running and would probably work on 5200 or even a 2600 in some instances.

I'd say Blasted looks hard from a video memory angle mostly, looks like a lot of animation that would have to be "bankswitched" a lot going from window to window, looks like at least 4 windows visible at any time.

Sprite overhead looks manageable as far as size and overlap, and the higher res top does have a nice clean break as far as scanline division. Probably have to be 1 player only though.

Probably a few control options, single stick, dual stick, and stick plus lightgun for control similar to Gotcha! The Sport! on NES.

Yeah I couldn't find much, the further back into the 80s for gun games and it gets really simplistic, like stuff the 7800 would have no trouble running and would probably work on 5200 or even a 2600 in some instances.

I'd say Blasted looks hard from a video memory angle mostly, looks like a lot of animation that would have to be "bankswitched" a lot going from window to window, looks like at least 4 windows visible at any time.

Sprite overhead looks manageable as far as size and overlap, and the higher res top does have a nice clean break as far as scanline division. Probably have to be 1 player only though.

Probably a few control options, single stick, dual stick, and stick plus lightgun for control similar to Gotcha! The Sport! on NES.

The Galloping Ghost arcade in Brookfield IL has a blasted machine, as well as the game that evolved into it, International Team Laser (A prototype machine)

• Like 1

How about Ikari 2 & 3. Was thinking if the joystick is coupled with a Paddle in port 2 the rotational shooting could be approximated at least for 1 player. Not sure how to press Fire or Grenade though, such a proprietary setup they used. :|

Didn't Heavy Barrel use a similar joystick scheme?

Could the Sears video arcade 2/Atari 2800 controller be used for these games. They had the combo paddle joystick similar to how the arcade joystick was

They should work, only thing is you could shoot but with only one actual button what would grenade be. I forgot all about those, now I really want one lol. I saw a Coleco Gemini recently but that was as close I could get to a combo.

I wonder what to do with vector based games if ported to the 7800, 320 mode or 160 mode?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Vector_arcade_games

Asteroids kind of went for a "filled" look on 7800 as did Space Fury on Colecovision. I guess it depends on the rendering overhead of the game in question. I took a stab at what Major Havoc might look like in 320 mode.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/space-fury/screenshots

MH_7800_zpshnia7xqr.png

320 mode has a nice crispness to it but it can only approximate actual vector based graphics. Idk the more 2D the game the easier it is to approximate into sprite form. Black Widow and Major Havoc seem like popular choices, I'm partial to Space Castle as that 2600 homebrew is quite impressive and would welcome one for 7800. :)

I consider Chiller disgusting. What about Exidy's wild west shoot out game that's obviously riding atop Crossbow code?

I do too but mostly because it offends my pixel art sensibilities lol, so much bad art. I'm tinkering with it atm to see if I can make it less ugly but just as bloody. Odd company Exidy, lots of differing arcade titles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exidy

Are you speaking of Showdown? That does look good and the variation in gameplay mode is nice. :)

http://gamesdbase.com/game/arcade/showdown.aspx

Actually you're probably talking about Cheyenne, that looks a lot like Crossbow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUMs6OTcguY