IGNORED

Missing Arcade-Classics on the 7800

Mister-VCS

I would like to see ports of Mouse Trap, Sinistar, Satan's Hollow, Gauntlet II and APB.

Satan's Hollow is interesting (and one of my favorite arcade games of all time). The only home port worth a darn is the Commodore 64 one, which, despite being an early release for the system, is an overall superb port. Satan's Hollow is REALLY dependent upon the music, though, so you'd definitely have to have POKEY support if it ever ported to the 7800.

I love APB on the Lynx, but I can't really see the 7800 pulling it off satisfactorily. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

• Like 1

It's interesting to me that one of the main things people complained about with the Atari 7800, or at least one of big reasons commonly cited for its poor market performance in the '80s, was that most of its games were old. And now people just want more old games for it. :P

That said: a near-arcade perfect Galaga would be great. :-D

Or how about Spelunker?

• Like 1

It's interesting to me that one of the main things people complained about with the Atari 7800, or at least one of big reasons commonly cited for its poor market performance in the '80s, was that most of its games were old. And now people just want more old games for it. :P

That said: a near-arcade perfect Galaga would be great. :-D

Or how about Spelunker?

To be fair, back when it was commercially relevant, it was competing directly with the NES and SMS. Today, obviously, that's no longer the case, so the types games it needed then aren't the same types of games a lot of us would enjoy now (and are more practical for homebrew developers).

• Like 1

To be fair, back when it was commercially relevant, it was competing directly with the NES and SMS. Today, obviously, that's no longer the case, so the types games it needed then aren't the same types of games a lot of us would enjoy now (and are more practical for homebrew developers).

Oh, I get it. Being a "dead" platform, it doesn't matter anymore what games come out for it. It's just an amusing thought. :)

Frankly with the talk about Mad Planets, I was already thinking about how I could tie together (in the most basic sense, mount them cleanly in/on a single piece) a driving controller and a joystick. Mostly because I like silly projects, I'm probably going to do it even though there'll likely never be anything to use it on. I've always got spare wood and controllers to sacrifice. It could also work on Spyhunter.

You wouldn't be able to use the CX-40 joystick. A Wico controller where it has the fire button at the top of the ball knob would work.

BUBBLES!

Good pick. If memory serves, Bubbles is only available (outside of MAME) on one of those "arcade legends" compilation discs for Playstation (if memory serves).

UK-RetroGamer magazine recommended the Colecovison (Atarisoft) version of Defender - but forget it! Looks like Defender, but it is impossible to control the spaceship.

I disagree with that since I can marathon the game. If you have a Super Action Controller try that instead.

I would like to see ports of Mouse Trap, Sinistar, Satan's Hollow, Gauntlet II and APB.

Mouse Trap would be a disaster without having a keypad like that found on the ColecoVision. Mouse Trap on the 2600 is horrible for that reason (and there are other reasons).

I think Sinistar plays well on the 5200 with the analog controller. The 2600 Sinistar isn't too bad so perhaps this could be a good pick for the 7800.

The Satan's Hollow conversion for the 5200 is good. I think if PacManPlus would port this game to the 7800 he could make it arcade perfect per the usual.

Or how about Spelunker?

Yes please! A more playable or forgiving version than the NES's anyway. :lol:

Spelunker is definitely one of my favorite games... and would be awesome on the 7800.

I wanted to like the NES version of Spelunker but the controls are a joke. Sure looks like a fun game otherwise.

Here's a video of my son and I trying to play Spelunker on the NES:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5nBJo7xJ3Q

You wouldn't be able to use the CX-40 joystick. A Wico controller where it has the fire button at the top of the ball knob would work.

Correct. I have a few spares already with top buttons but it seemed most of these games needed a true trigger so I ordered one of these:

svi_318.jpg

Cheaper for an experiment/project (I think it was 7$), it lets you use a trigger OR a top button, plus it has autofire. And...I think it looks bad ass. :D

Edited by GoldenWheels

Mouse Trap would be a disaster without having a keypad like that found on the ColecoVision. Mouse Trap on the 2600 is horrible for that reason (and there are other reasons).

Could always use the Video Touch Pad to get around that. Seems like nobody plays Star Raiders so more uses for this common easy to find peripheral would be welcome.

Oh I enjoyed your Spelunker video, yeah they have competitions in Japan to play that game because of how craptastically difficult it is. :)

Edited by BladeJunker
  • Like 1

Pengo! :D

I was just thinking about this, too! I thought about a version that let you choose between "Popcorn" and whatever the other version's background music was called, among other things. Like a mix of the two most common game revisions, changeable in bits and pieces from an Options menu. And with PAC-MAN-RED's graphics, anyone who codes this is gonna have an epic-looking game. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I was just thinking about this, too! I thought about a version that let you choose between "Popcorn" and whatever the other version's background music was called, among other things. Like a mix of the two most common game revisions, changeable in bits and pieces from an Options menu. And with PAC-MAN-RED's graphics, anyone who codes this is gonna have an epic-looking game. :thumbsup:

I too had an idea where a story mode could be implemented along with the regular arcade mode. ;)

post-26314-0-83243200-1452571619_thumb.png

illya

• Like 4

Could always use the Video Touch Pad to get around that. Seems like nobody plays Star Raiders so more uses for this common easy to find peripheral would be welcome.

Oh I enjoyed your Spelunker video, yeah they have competitions in Japan to play that game because of how craptastically difficult it is. :)

or the Kids Controller.

I'm surprised nobody is buying them up, painting them black, rewiring, and claiming they were part of a limited production run of the unreleased 5200 version.

Yes, but would be cool to see. Especially if it took advantage of a dual controller setup for those with joystick couplers. :love:

If you mean the 7800 version of the coupler, only 2 of us in the world have the originals.

Now if you mean the 2600/A8 version of the coupler, then yes.

Speaking of, has anyone hacked the 2600 ROM of the game to support Dual Joysticks?

Fitting use for a trackball that isn't really a trackball. :)

I should've said "if you have the ColecoVision roller controller and CV joysticks" - whether you have a ColecoVision or not is irrelevant.

Anyway, if I actually had a coupler for the Atari 7800 I would use it. I asked Best Electronics if they sell them and they said they haven't seen them in years.