IGNORED

TI-99/8 and more collection - it arrived...

kl99

Hi guys!

The TI-99/8 that I have aquired from an TI employee on ebay in december has finally arrived in two big packages.

I started a Youtube channel (kl99) and I am uploading some unboxing videos there. The first one is already up.

This is meant as a very open thread on all we discover from those boxes.

Klaus

• Like 9

what is the easiest way to read out the cartridge of those custom labeled ones and compare it against the standard release of the same software?

With my GramKracker?

what about the Disks? I could use RSECTOR/WSECTOR from Pc99 to create PC99 Disk Backups. Everything agrees to that approach?

what is the easiest way to read out the cartridge of those custom labeled ones and compare it against the standard release of the same software?

With my GramKracker?

what about the Disks? I could use RSECTOR/WSECTOR from Pc99 to create PC99 Disk Backups. Everything agrees to that approach?

Whatever works best for you, we are in the stands watching with baited breath as the unveiling appears.

• Like 2

This is one of those moments my wife does not really understand me, that I sit in a basement the whole evening watching some guy unboxing "old stuff he just got from Texas." :-D

The only fact that gives me hope is, that I am not the only one here watching those videos.

Hahaha that's funny. (I have been watching this same video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QG4n3-rKTs

for I do not know how many weeks as my kid kept clicking on this same video in youtube - unwrapping suprise eggs,

but now I understand the fun of watching it!

(thanks Klaus for sharing this with the TI-community, love it!)

• Like 2

I'd be especially interested in seeing if the MBX games are different at all. I know that in some early literature for the MBX, Championship Baseball had a "Screw Ball" option on the overlay which of course was taken out of the final version.

) The Tape Recorder cable for the 99/4a is not compatible because it has a 9 pin port (like Joystick) on the computer side. But i guess the ports are 2.5 or 3.5mm headphone type ports, or cinch.
) Unlike the 99/8 from Steve Eggers my 99/8 does not have any text next to the power port. The 99/8 from Steve Egger has the Serial Number, the LTA number and USA "printed" on it. http://www.ti99.com/ti998d1.jpg

) I tested several cartridges, the cartridge with the letters "BIG" is indeed MBX Bigfoot

) I didn't see any visual differences when plugging in those custom labeled carts

) TI Invaders was without Shift838 option

) The two cartridge with the custom "Securities" labels are Security Analysis

) The one with "Scott Adams Adventure" is not PHM3041 Adventure, but Return to Pirate's Isle

) The biggest cartridge surprise so far was the unlabeled "Q/A GROM" cartridge, which seems to be a french 99/4 PHM3000 Diagnostic version. TI Title screen gets french with that one. Posted snapshots on FB. Feel free to post them here.

) The 3 "Disk Manager II" labeled cartridge show "2.0" on the Title Screen, so no DM3 sadly.

) In the TI Writer binder there were some Disks hided, two labeled with "99/8", two without any label.

) P-code keyboard strips for the 99/4a did show up in the binders.

Since the motherboard seems to be not ankered in its correct position, the power port and even a plugged in cartridge looks lopsided/oblique. I need to open the case before turning the 99/8 on again. I tried to open it with extreme care yesterday but without a guide I was afraid to break anything. Further the p-code option doesn't show in the master selection screen, however when the seller was doing a photo of the same 99/8 running, it was there. Either he removed it or it unconnected internally.

• Like 1

... Further the p-code option doesn't show in the master selection screen, however when the seller was doing a photo of the same 99/8 running, it was there. Either he removed it or it unconnected internally.

Perhaps the EPROMs you unwrapped need to be installed in the console for the P-System to be active.

...lee

• Like 1