Photo

Open fantasizing - What games you'd like to see made for the CV?

games made new wish vaporware

77 replies to this topic

#51 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 9,663 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:28 PM

Sorry, what you did say? I was distracted by the cute girl dancing at the left of your post. :grin:

Obviously, ColecoVision needs SPACE CHANNEL 5

#52 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 9,663 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:34 PM

Interestingly, a drop-in SD card replacement for the laser disc players in Dragon's Lair and similar arcade machines has recently been released. From what I vaguely remember, the ColecoVision should have the in-built capability to overlay its graphics over video, so some type of Palcom MSX-esque laserdisc style experience might be possible. I agree, though, that it's extraordinarily unlikely that someone with the skill to make this happen would make this happen.

It's really neat how new tech is refreshing old stuff.

Flash cards instead of ROM cartridges and disks is beautiful. Old hardware, new storage media.

#53 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,547 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:45 PM

Would be cool to see some more 80's computer games on the CV like those Epyx games. Some of these would be impossible to port though.

- Aliens

- Castle Wolfenstein

- Karateka

- Space Taxi

- Temple of Apshai

- Conan

- Bruce Lee

- Dino Eggs
- Ghostbusters
- GI Joe
- Beach Head

- Raid Over Moscow

- Realm of Impossibility

- Skate or Die

- Sword of Fargoal

- Super Zaxxon

Some more obscure games like Pogo Joe and Forbidden Forest would be cool too.

I wonder if Ultima I or II can be done on a CV? :P

Ghostbusters, via an MSX conversion, is coming (via the SGM). I can't think of any others on that list that would have trouble being ported with someone talented (and interested) enough (and in fact those with MSX versions already would probably be workable with the SGM), although I'd hate to see the speech-based games not have speech.

I would think at least an Ultima I could done, maybe even up to an Ultima III. The ColecoVision did get Lord of the Dungeon and Black Onyx (MSX homebrew conversion), so there's some precedent for higher complexity RPG-style stuff.

I personally wouldn't care for ports/conversions that really aren't well suited to the hardware, though. For instance, while I respect the idea of the Ghostbusters port, it's far enough below the C-64 version that I so fondly remember that it registers little interest with me.

#54 cimerians OFFLINE  

cimerians

Quadrunner

• 10,156 posts

Posted Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:37 PM

I would think at least an Ultima I could done, maybe even up to an Ultima III. The ColecoVision did get Lord of the Dungeon and Black Onyx (MSX homebrew conversion), so there's some precedent for higher complexity RPG-style stuff.

Ah, hopefully someone out there can make that a reality.

I wouldn't mind Ultima I at least. The CV keypad can be used for Inventory, Weapons, Talk, Enter/Exit etc. How cool. :)

#55 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 7,627 posts

Posted Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:10 PM

- Ghostbusters

Hopefully before the end of this year. I would have liked to release it next month (February) but the chances of that happening are slim.

#56 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,547 posts

Posted Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:17 PM

Ah, hopefully someone out there can make that a reality.

I wouldn't mind Ultima I at least. The CV keypad can be used for Inventory, Weapons, Talk, Enter/Exit etc. How cool. :)

It could, but there probably aren't quite enough keys (there's a brilliant unofficial version of Ultima IV for the iPad that does put all commands just a touch away on-screen; that's always been my favorite implementation of a somewhat unwieldly interface). It's probably better just to have the streamlined interface of the various Ultima versions for button-limited consoles like the NES, SMS, GameBoy, etc. Otherwise I suppose you could use the keypad, but then certain keys you'd want to serve multiple functions, which you could change with each press, then have a confirmation key.

#57 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Facebook.com/Collectorvision

• 7,424 posts
  • CollectorVision Games - Publishing Homebrew

Posted Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:56 PM

It could, but there probably aren't quite enough keys (there's a brilliant unofficial version of Ultima IV for the iPad that does put all commands just a touch away on-screen; that's always been my favorite implementation of a somewhat unwieldly interface). It's probably better just to have the streamlined interface of the various Ultima versions for button-limited consoles like the NES, SMS, GameBoy, etc. Otherwise I suppose you could use the keypad, but then certain keys you'd want to serve multiple functions, which you could change with each press, then have a confirmation key.

A custom made (prototype) ColecoVision Keyboard adapter still exist

This's something we're interested to release  ;)

There's so many games that could be made for the CV using a keyboard

#58 Tornadoboy OFFLINE  

Tornadoboy

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts

Posted Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:19 PM

Interestingly, a drop-in SD card replacement for the laser disc players in Dragon's Lair and similar arcade machines has recently been released

Yeah but the problem with that is it's like $400 :(

Might be worth it if you own an actual DL coin op or other laser game, but I can't see anyone that desperate to play them on CV.

Edited by Tornadoboy, Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:20 PM.

#59 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,547 posts

Posted Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:39 PM

Yeah but the problem with that is it's like $400 :(

Might be worth it if you own an actual DL coin op or other laser game, but I can't see anyone that desperate to play them on CV.

Understood, but I suspect that would have different requirements than one for the ColecoVision (it's not a drop-in replacement for something else), and a higher production run as well (what can they reasonably sell of the arcade one?). In that regard, you might be able to cut the price in half. Who knows, though? It's not like it's going to happen either way.

#60 Tornadoboy OFFLINE  

Tornadoboy

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts

Posted Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:47 PM

Understood, but I suspect that would have different requirements than one for the ColecoVision (it's not a drop-in replacement for something else), and a higher production run as well (what can they reasonably sell of the arcade one?). In that regard, you might be able to cut the price in half. Who knows, though? It's not like it's going to happen either way.

Thinking out loud... I wonder if it would be possible to rip the video from the original laser discs and put them on DVD, then use a DVD player? Although I've got to believe it's not that simple otherwise something like that would have been done for the coin-ops a LONG time ago. 

A few more games:

Super Sprint

Marvin's Maze 

#61 HkryCrkStudio OFFLINE  

HkryCrkStudio

Chopper Commander

• 233 posts

Posted Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:21 PM

Desert Bus.

Hahahaha

#62 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

River Patroller

• 4,705 posts

Posted Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:49 AM

Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight?

#63 Tornadoboy OFFLINE  

Tornadoboy

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts

Posted Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:22 PM

Thought I'd bump this for the heck of it, it's always an interesting discussion

#64 Centurion OFFLINE  

Centurion

Chopper Commander

• 158 posts

Posted Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:09 AM

Thankfully a couple of the games I was always wishful of seeing released have actually become reality thanks to our awesome scene. :)

I always thought the isometric Dracula and Lord of the Dungeon looked really neat over here:

http://www.colecovis.../unreleased.htm

#65 Swami ONLINE  

Swami

Dragonstomper

• 580 posts

Posted Sat May 13, 2017 11:30 PM

Bump. I would love to buy a badass lightgun game for the CV SGM, even the CRT variety. I have an atari to CV adapter. I wonder if it would work for light gun games, although selling the game with an SMS phaser adapter would probably be better, since SMS phasers are so plentiful on the market...atari light guns, not so much. I think there is still a rapid cult of light gun gamers out there.

#66 Swami ONLINE  

Swami

Dragonstomper

• 580 posts

Posted Sat May 13, 2017 11:32 PM

Obviously, ColecoVision needs SPACE CHANNEL 5

That would work with the keypad!!!

#67 Kiwi OFFLINE  

Kiwi

Stargunner

• 1,380 posts

Posted Sun May 21, 2017 7:51 AM

One guy I been fantasizing for the Colecovision is the mini game from Stardew Valley.  It is a bit too much for the Colecovision.

I started it and probably going to reuse the engine for future game.  I like the 8 multiplex bullets.  I probably should drop down to single color enemies, and use double color enemies for the more important one.  I was able to prevent them from overlapping some what.  Here's a gifeo.

PrairieKing.gif

#68 HkryCrkStudio OFFLINE  

HkryCrkStudio

Chopper Commander

• 233 posts

Posted Mon May 22, 2017 6:17 PM

I have 2 favourites from my teenage arcade days - Pole Position and Time Pilot.  I was a little disappointed with the CV version of Time Pilot though, and I'd like to someday see a "Super Time Pilot" that includes all levels of the original arcade game.

And there's one other title I'd love to own, in light of recent developments... Porky's.   :lolblue:

#69 DuggerVideoGames OFFLINE  

DuggerVideoGames

Moonsweeper

• 466 posts

Posted Mon May 22, 2017 7:42 PM

I've always wanted to see some iconic 80s shows made for the ColecoVision; unfortunately; I wonder how difficult it may be to secure the licensing to do it.  Shows like Knight Rider, Thundercats, Silverhawks, etc.

#70 MiniRPG OFFLINE  

MiniRPG

Space Invader

• 22 posts

Posted Tue May 23, 2017 2:08 PM

Time Pilot '84

#71 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 5,763 posts

Posted Tue May 23, 2017 9:13 PM

Masters of the Universe:

The Powers of He-Man

Come on Blue Sky Rangers!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• Masters of the Universe - ScreenShot #03.gif
  • Masters of the Universe - ScreenShot #02.gif
  • Masters of the Universe - C.G.E. '99 #07.jpg

#72 MiniRPG OFFLINE  

MiniRPG

Space Invader

• 22 posts

Posted Wed May 24, 2017 11:27 AM

Fascinating read about the Blue Sky Rangers. I had no idea He Man was so close to completion.

http://www.intellivi...co.html#masters

#73 Swami ONLINE  

Swami

Dragonstomper

• 580 posts

Posted Wed May 24, 2017 6:06 PM

I have 2 favourites from my teenage arcade days - Pole Position and Time Pilot.  I was a little disappointed with the CV version of Time Pilot though, and I'd like to someday see a "Super Time Pilot" that includes all levels of the original arcade game.

And there's one other title I'd love to own, in light of recent developments... Porky's.   :lolblue:

There was an unreleased, possibly unfinished, Porky's demo for CV.

Edited by Swami, Wed May 24, 2017 6:08 PM.

#74 HkryCrkStudio OFFLINE  

HkryCrkStudio

Chopper Commander

• 233 posts

Posted Wed May 24, 2017 8:15 PM

There was an unreleased, possibly unfinished, Porky's demo for CV.

Yes!  What I'd like to see is a finished fully-playable version complete with box and manual... the box art being of a controversial nature that I would need to hide from the younglings.  ;)

#75 MiniRPG OFFLINE  

MiniRPG

Space Invader

• 22 posts

Posted Thu May 25, 2017 11:04 AM

I'm surprised I didn't think of this before:

Venture II / Venture RPG

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users