IGNORED

CF7+ power supply

DavidC

• 1 month later...
I have two non-functioning CF7+. About five years ago, I sent one off to Jamie for repair and I think he replaced the FPGA. It seems he has closed up his business now, but I emailed him anyway.

I suspect static shock (I only ever used the correct power supplies, and the first time one fried, I actually saw the spark.)

So where do I go next for solid state storage?

One crazy idea that occured to me today:

Remove the Xilinx FPGA

Reverse engineer the hardware that's left

Wire up that to one of my Xilinx developer boards and begin re-inventing the system. Crazy, yeah. And I don't need another project.

Reverse engineer the hardware that's left
Wire up that to one of my Xilinx developer boards and begin re-inventing the system. Crazy, yeah. And I don't need another project.

You may not need another project, but if you do this, you'll probably make some people VERY happy. I'm also sure whatever you decide, you would not go cheap on a few extra components and eliminate basic voltage protections on the board. From what I've been able to discern, this was a problem that plagued numerous units causing many headaches for people.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

And if you build it on a Speech Synthesizer-sized board, it will fit into a really nice case too, especially if that case is surplus because the original board has been moved to a PEB. . .recycling at its best. :)

My first hardware hacking platform!

Nobody told me the Speech Synthesizer was not a proto board.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I am using a USB power pack on my nanoPEB and CF7+. Some USB power supplies ("chargers") are noisy and will introduce that noise into the cassette audio output. My guess is probably referenced to line voltage.

tl;dr Is that what you were asking about?

Oh, using real batteries. You cannot get 5V from AAs, only 4.5V or 6V (or 4.8V and 6V if you use rechargeable AAs.) I measured the power draw of my nanoPEB to be ~40mA under use from XB (32k in use) or idle, and 100mA when accessing the CF. I suspect a good set of NiMH should run the unit for quite a while if the unit is happy with 4.8V.

• Like 1

I have one of the old CF7s. Perhaps the requirements are different?

Either way, I can plug it in and the LEDs come on... that doesnt necessarily mean it has functional power though. Last thing I want to do is harm this CF7. There are not many like it out there, as it was one of the first ones off the *assembly line*. :D

It is very sturdy, robust, and has a voltage regulator. Plus Ive had it since 2008, so its basically *vintage* now. :)

Edited by Opry99er

I think 500 mA is a bit weak. I only use 1500mA and more. The more, the better.

(Ampere, NOT ! the voltage)

PS And I slightly remember somebody speaking of 7 Volt on an older model,

but I would NOT try this. If wrong, you will definitely brick it.

So... related, but unrelated....

What is the largest size SanDisk CF card you can use on the CF7+?

I only ask because the larger cards are somehow less expensive than the smaller ones. (I get it, availability)....

I can get a 16 Gig for $8, and the 2 Gig are $15. I need to buy two, so Id rather spend $16 than $30.

My CF7+ pulls around 10mA~20mA, up to 50mA when running the CF card. Interesting is it pulls 100mA when the console is switched off.

Another interesting discovery: the "QI" console does not care if the nanoPEB/CF7+ is powered or not. Neither of my units are modified to draw power from the console. When connected to a standard console, the console will hang on power-up if the device is not powered. With the "QI" console the device just becomes unavailable.

So... related, but unrelated....

What is the largest size SanDisk CF card you can use on the CF7+?

I only ask because the larger cards are somehow less expensive than the smaller ones. (I get it, availability)....

I can get a 16 Gig for $8, and the 2 Gig are $15. I need to buy two, so Id rather spend $16 than $30.

ITS NOT THE SIZE THAT COUNTS .. er.. its the method of writing data.. 4gb is the largest I've tried which is about 3gig more than you'd ever use

I have cheap 2gig ones on my site now.

Greg

So, I don't currently have a CF card... I plugged the CF7 into my machine, expecting to see the title with the CF7+ bit, and it was just a blue screen with no title screen.

I guessed it was just under-powered. The power lights illuminate on the board, but it didn't seem to have enough juice to push the system. So I took the power supply from my US Robotics modem (a universal PowerLine with a voltage selector switch) and tried 5v. Nothing. I tried 6v. Nothing again. I tried 7.5v. Nothing again.

So, I either have a faulty CF7+ (something I've believed for quite a while) or the CF7 requires a CF card to be installed on the board for it to get me to the title screen.

Can anyone confirm that a missing CF card gets you to a blue screen? I was sure that the CF7+ firmware was in ROM, and not something you loaded onto the card itself. If that's the case, I will likely start a new thread to help me trouble shoot the device.

Thanks in advance

hmm, so do I miss an SRAM chip on my card ? see the empty socket on the left...

attachicon.gifCF7plus-01-RMS-IMG_5229-CUT.jpg attachicon.gifCF7plus-Opry99er-01.jpg

Yes Schmitzi, that is for a 32k memory chip, thereby giving you the ability to have a small PEB. I have one of these, but blew the CPLD chip with the wrong PS, (mine didn't have the reg). Got with Jamie and ordered a new CLPD and my 32k hasn't worked since(believe he gave me a different burn, my 32k is socketed and has been changed with a known good one).

Edited by RickyDean
  • Like 1