IGNORED

Rygar (NES)

mbd30

Thoughts on this game?

It's a pretty good platformer/RPG hybrid and must have been innovative for the time. At least it's deeper than the original arcade game.

But man is it exhausting to complete for the first time from beginning to end. Arguable replay value. Last night I beat it after 4+ hours and I was relieved when it was over at 3AM and never wanted to play it again. Because it's an "adventure" some of the game's length involves simply wandering around trying to find stuff or figuring out what to do (unless you break down and consult Gamefaqs). It's not the longest game and not that difficult, but perhaps could have benefited from passwords. Then they could have expanded the game's world even more.

Tecmo must have learned their lesson after this because the original Ninja Gaiden games are the right length without the tedium. Rygar seems to have been mostly forgotten. On the other hand, I could see some gamers preferring Rygar, just as some prefer Simon's Quest to the linear Castlevania. It isn't bad, just exhausting.

Edited by mbd30
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, many games of the NES era tried to extend their replay value by not including a password or saving system. This also saved on precious ROM space. Bionic Commando is another game that could have used a password.

Some folks just leave their NES on and come back to the game later. But I wasn't going to leave my toploader running for hours. That little bastard gets hot.

Rygar was a decent quick game if you are not expecting original arcade style game. It did have a few graphic glitches and also it is possible to finish this in under an hour. Get the grapple hook then head to Lapis (floating rock zone) and go up to the topmost platform, second from left. It's the first one where Bargain (the big robot that shoots shockwave like attack). Hit it, jump to avoid his attack, repeat until it dies. Go into the nearby door and back out, repeat. You'll grind up many hearts in no time. After about 9 or 10 hearts you will find most of the bosses so easy you can practically faceroll the whole game. (I think max is 12 but that gets very tedious and I usually stop at 10)

Thoughts on this game?

The non-linear aspect of Rygar works excellently, providing a much deeper and more engaging game than the Arcade original. This is a case where the NES port diverges from the original Arcade and is much better as the result.

In fact, I never played (or saw) Rygar in the Arcades and was highly disappointed when it was first emulated, experiencing the original Arcade game being very different from the NES port.

Even with maximizing (4095) both TONE and LAST, the game is beatable well under an hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrNYmllokmg

Contains graphic glitches throughout the game, sometimes very frequently in spots, slowdown occasionally is present too; however, the game is still great.

Because it's an "adventure" some of the game's length involves simply wandering around trying to find stuff or figuring out what to do (unless you break down and consult Gamefaqs).

No need for Gamefaqs or walkthroughs, if you reference the maps included with the instruction manual. The manual provides a directional map guide:

post-18-0-52471100-1452299828_thumb.png

Yes, I'm bias. :P It is my favorite 8-bit console title of all time (Just see my signature). :)

I could see some gamers preferring Rygar, just as some prefer Simon's Quest to the linear Castlevania.

I prefer original Castlevania (and of course Dracula's Curse) over Simon's Quest. ;)

• Like 1

"

No need for Gamefaqs or walkthroughs, if you reference the maps included with the instruction manual. The manual provides a directional map guide:

"

I just have the loose cart. Man, I should have sprung for a CIB.

Anyway, I watched the Game Grumps playthrough, and it is a kind of a short game when you know what you're doing. I'm still in no hurry to play it again.

One of my top 10 or 15 best NES games that I ever played. I got that game in Summer, 1987. I played it all morning with my friends across the street one day, and got very close to the end, only to have to shut it off at noon time because my mom had to watch The Young and the Restless!

I could never get into this game. I'll probably revisit it and try again, but when I do I typically get a few minutes in and am like, "Eh.. This is boring. Neeeext!". I've watched some playthroughs and it seems you can beat the game really fast if you know what to do (there are even some skips I believe to bypass large chunks of the game), but I haven't had the desire to do it myself. I do like the Lynx version a lot though. It's a decent challenge while remaining straight forward, and is considerably easier than the arcade game.

I could never get into this game. I'll probably revisit it and try again, but when I do I typically get a few minutes in and am like, "Eh.. This is boring. Neeeext!". I've watched some playthroughs and it seems you can beat the game really fast if you know what to do (there are even some skips I believe to bypass large chunks of the game), but I haven't had the desire to do it myself. I do like the Lynx version a lot though. It's a decent challenge while remaining straight forward, and is considerably easier than the arcade game.

I'd already bought it and I wanted to complete it for the "beat every NES game in a year" contest at NintendoAge, so I forced myself to do it. The unlimited continues mean that you will finish if you persist, but after I was done I swore to myself that I'd never play the darn thing again.

Hmmm...have always wanted to finish this one but somehow always ALWAYS ended up feeling lost. With the map from Trebor (god, the days when instruction books were IMPORTANT) and the grinding tip from 7800fan i think I'll give it another shot. I rented this several times as a kid and it baffled me for some reason.

(Also, the PS2 Rygar is actually really fun IMO)

• Like 1

Agreed. Have it and beaten it for the PS2 and it is really fun.

My only real gripe is the 'feeling' I get when playing...It is more like Rygar meets Castlevania, rather than a true Rygar update.

It definitely has a mash up feel...the static style of environments took me some real time to get used to but I did.

I spent HOURS trying different gem in the diskarmor, I really got into that, and even after I beat the game I recall there was a like a special dungeon/cave with tons floors--I spent tons of time on that as well. I think it was just battles and not even related to the quest proper but man I loved that combat engine and using the diskarmor.

• Like 1

I think that I would have appreciated PS2 "Rygar" if I'd played it when it came out. Unfortunately I got it after having beaten "God of War" and its sequel, so it was a huge letdown compared to those. Same with the first "Devil May Cry" which I'd never played until after I'd played "God of War" series.

Hmmm...have always wanted to finish this one but somehow always ALWAYS ended up feeling lost. With the map from Trebor (god, the days when instruction books were IMPORTANT) and the grinding tip from 7800fan i think I'll give it another shot. I rented this several times as a kid and it baffled me for some reason.

(Also, the PS2 Rygar is actually really fun IMO)

Not having the instruction manual, I had to consult Gamefaqs a few times to figure out where to go. It's mostly a matter of patience though. Because of infinite continues and modest difficulty, you can complete the game if you keep grinding away at it.

I liked it a lot back in the 80s. I thought the graphics and music were cool. Finished it and then never played it again. Not in my top 10 NES games, but I have good memories of it.

Back in the day it probably would have been a better for a weekend rental than a purchase.