IGNORED

Virtual Jaguar for Mac: need for QT 4 Help help!

Felyx

Well, you can pass --with-x=no to the configure script for SDL1 and that should take care of that. YMMV, of course. :P

I was able to get around that, but linking still died in a later stage. Some searches showed that it has troubles compiling on more recent revs of OS X. I might mess around w/it again later in the week if I get the time.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply guys. I would really appreciate if we could create a step by step tutorial by combining all the info we can provide: where to download VJ for Mac, where to download QT (or whatever is needed for running VJ), what to type in the terminal to make it works fine etc...

Well, my preference is to build everything statically on the Mac, that way you don't have to worry about having to bundle extra libraries and all of that kind of thing. As far as where to download VJ (for any platform), it's always been at http://icculus.org/virtualjaguar .

As far as how to run from the command line, you have to run

./virtualjaguar.app/Contents/MacOS/virtualjaguar --help

and it will print out all the options you need (I forgot that it was in an application bundle; makes it slightly more complicated :P).

OK, this just isn't going to happen on a modern Mac OSX. SDL-1 compiles fine, but if I download the 4.8 QT disk image, OSX warns me I'm using some old stuff that could break my OS. So that wasn't worth the risk. I can't get the source tree from that version to compile properly. The only other hope would be digging out one of my older Macbooks with a much older OSX and trying on there.

For anyone wanting to compile this on their Mac that has XCode, the only other things you should need would be to download the SDL-1 package, compile and install that. Don't bother with the QT5 packager on their site, just install qt5 view Homebrew or Macports and set your path variable properly for the binary directory so that qmake can be found. Otherwise everything went well with the latest XCode. The "insert cartridge" feature still has the same bug where it only works once, so you'll need to set virtualjag as your default to open teh romz. Sound is unusable on my Macbook Pro, not sure if that's normal or what (Edit: It also is choppy on the 2.1.0 binary). Anyway, if Shamus wants the package I can send it over. I can try compiling the 2.1.2 source later tonight.

• Like 1

On my I5 iMac the sounds is working well. Compare to my previous iMac the only difference is that the cartridge menu works only once and oblige to reinstall VJ every time.

You will see that unfortunately many roms don't work by setting VJ to open them by default.

what do you mean by compiling with Xcode? where to get Xcode? where to download SDL-1 package?

All I know is that VJ is working (with sounds) by installing QT 4.8 like I mentionned previously but it is works only once for the cartridge section like for you.

On my I5 iMac the sounds is working well. Compare to my previous iMac the only difference is that the cartridge menu works only once and oblige to reinstall VJ every time.

You will see that unfortunately many roms don't work by setting VJ to open them by default.

what do you mean by compiling with Xcode? where to get Xcode? where to download SDL-1 package?

All I know is that VJ is working (with sounds) by installing QT 4.8 like I mentionned previously but it is works only once for the cartridge section like for you.

If you don't know what compiling or Xcode is, it's probably not something you should be doing. But to answer your other questions:

https://developer.apple.com/xcode/

https://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php

• Like 1

As far as i understood, we are almost at the same point: VJ is working on our Mac with the cartridge selection menu which works only once and obliging to reinstall VJ everytime before to run it.

I confirm I don't progamm at all my comp and have no skill at all for that. I am not fond at all of Terminal which sounds to me like a giant step back 30 years before when I had to enter manually every command on my Apple IIe.

Now if the cartridge selection menu bug is solved and require your install, i will do the effort but honestly, if there is a tutorial to summazize step by step what to do that would be perfect for me as I don't have any interest for opeing the bonnet and putting the hands in the engine...

Edited by Felyx

I will probably need to work w/Shamus on this. The only files I see being written when VJ is launched are:

/Users/madman/Library/Saved Application State/com.yourcompany.virtualjaguar.savedState/data.data
/Users/madman/Library/Saved Application State/com.yourcompany.virtualjaguar.savedState/windows.plist
/Users/madman/Library/Saved Application State/com.yourcompany.virtualjaguar.savedState/window_1.data

If I delete that entire directory and relaunch, the Insert Cartridge feature is still broken. I quickly looked through the source for filethread.cpp and filepicker.cpp and didn't see anything that seemed reliant on a file or any sort of cache that could get hosed up, though it was just a once over. So I have NO idea what is causing the ROM browser to only work on initial launch.

• Like 2

Awesome! So it's the relative paths that are causing grief. Weird that it works OK on the first pass though. :P

To answer your question you edited...no I'm not 100% sure, I didn't go deep enough with something like lsof or other tools. There's clearly something else being written somewhere and it must be in the local directory. There were also some .DS_Store files being written, but deleting those had no effect. I assume it's something Qt related w/relative paths, I started looking through the code for references to ROMpath, but honestly with the workaround taking all of 5 seconds I don't want to invest any more time into the root cause...right now, anyway.