IGNORED

Very newb @ Jaguar programming. Help with Hello World

Make a CLUT file that would work.

You don't really need one, your assets can contain the colours they need. Unless the game is really complicated, stick with everything in 16bit colour mode and forget about CLUTs for now. But, what are you trying to accomplish?

OK, after a whole bunch of time, I got an animated test picture up. Right now it's just a picture of three dots all the same shape but different colors. I hope to replace this with an animation of an ant walking in place. And since ants are black, I'd like to switch the background color to white and have the text be black. Is that possible? How do I change the background color?

post-9475-0-24551100-1452735360_thumb.png

Okay, I have this for my title screen:

post-9475-0-05229100-1452754713_thumb.png

I have a few questions.

#1. What is that black bar down at the bottom? Will that show up on a real TV?
#2. I made the image white and it displays as off-white a little?

antsss.abs

Edited by atari2600land
  • Like 2

Okay, I have this for my title screen:

attachicon.gifantstitlescreen2.png

I have a few questions.

#1. What is that black bar down at the bottom? Will that show up on a real TV?

#2. I made the image white and it displays as off-white a little?

If you:

DPOKE BG,65535

to set BG to white in RBG mode

anything non-white beyond that is beyond your screen limits - VJ and certain monitors show much more of this overscanned areas than regular TVs - the most important one to consider is the top. If you look at Sporadic's Astro-Storm thread, you'll see he had to rework some stuff to make his game visible on TV screens in this area, as most of it is not shown (approx top 20 pixels).

If you don't have a JagCD to be able to test JiFFi'd binaries or a BJL Jaguar or skunkboard, post a binary here and people will be able to send it to their Jaguars and take a photo of the TV screen to give you some idea. I plan on doing this for the site at some point with the test card I made, and producing a little test project to go with rb+ to guide people, but priority is low for stuff like that right now.

• Like 4

Thanks, Cyrano! That gives me some idea of what would be cropped off the top. I adjusted the text from the previous build, the link above should point to the newest one.

By the way, I notice most of you are in PAL-land. Would there be a difference between PAL and NTSC? I clicked the PAL and NTSC in Virtual Jaguar, but nothing happened.

Thanks, Cyrano! That gives me some idea of what would be cropped off the top. I adjusted the text from the previous build, the link above should point to the newest one.

By the way, I notice most of you are in PAL-land. Would there be a difference between PAL and NTSC? I clicked the PAL and NTSC in Virtual Jaguar, but nothing happened.

You have to restart vj or reload after you change.

• Like 1