IGNORED

HSC13 Welcome and Games List

I sympathize with you. I don't play new games without motivation. When I say "new" games, I'm referring to games that are new to me. I've only played in the Atari 8-Bit HSC for the last couple of years, and this past season was the first time I played every game and every round. I've looked at the games played over the years, and they do seem to be cycled through on a semi-regular basis. There's a good reason for this: good games are a known quantity. We enjoy playing them. Just like re-watching a favorite movie, there is something very comforting about re-playing a favorite game. It takes effort to discover (well, to play) new games.

Whether a game is from 1982 or 2016-- if you've never played it before, then it's new. Part of the joy that I've discovered in the HSC is that even games that we think we know, we don't really know well until we dig into them. Such was the case with "Donkey Kong Junior" this last season. I've always been fond of that game... but playing it again and again (and never actually getting better at it, sad to say!) made me see deeper into it's mechanics. I could actually see more. "Donkey Kong Junior" is certainly not a new game to me-- I even have fairly fond memories of playing the game in the early 80s. However, the game became new when I dived into it and really tried to play it to the best of my ability.

That's the genius of playing for a high score. It's not about the score; it's about the goal of attaining a score. Any score. Your best score. Throughout the High Score Club season I've discovered that previously-played games and new games all merge into one category: a fun way to share a passion for classic gaming with other like-minded players.

New or old, good or bad, poor graphics or amazing effects, the results are the same when we're all sharing the experience. So, forget about the score and focus on the playing, for the fun lies deep within us.

I already knew I'd be swimming against the current I probably hinted at my wish a couple of other times over the years with no success.

I'm going to suggest an alternate plan. Here goes.

Each player can

A) pick his/her own bonus game. It's worth 1 point at least (see below)

B) or the player can take on someone else's bonus game. Each player that joins in such a challenge adds 1 more point to the points available. For example, if 3 players are contesting a game then the points are awarded 3, 2, and 1, highest scorer to lowest.

One Bonus game only per player. We don't want the bonus contests to upset the current HSC game

-A8isA1

• Like 1

Some good discussion A8/Bally, nice to hear what people want :thumbsup: it's always tricky trying to keep everyone happy - for the last few seasons we have not played a game that was played in the previous season this is partly to keep it fresh and also help some of us forget the nuances of the games so we can re-learn them next time we play.

Last year Food Fight, Whirlinurd, Robix (2011), Ramp Rage and Gravity (Brand New!) , The Great Return of the Penguins (2014), Duck Arrow Balloon (!), Up Up and Away, The Goonies, Pole Position X, Pitfall II, PAD, Hobgoblin, Ghastly Night, Ghostly Goblins, Aliens, Castle Crisis, Chiseler, Flop Super Ball, Live Wire 2, Plattermania and Sneakers all made their HSC debuts - this must be a record for new stuff!.

I know on the polls some games get thrown under the HSC 8-bit bus, but sometimes I am genuinely surprised by what wins. I try to have a variety of game types on each poll and to support some of the new developments. Sometimes will have special poll "Best Game Not Played in the HSC before" or "New Games" etc to ensure these get a chance. We've had special rounds where players can pick a game each or bonus games too - we'll do something like this after a few rounds.

If a game is not 'enough' for two weeks play we will have a bonus game and the odd extended time theme round perhaps. I just might be tempted to put all 5 of a players suggestions into a poll as the season progresses too :)

p.s. Last season I tried to keep the scoring tight - to stop the top players hoovering up all the bonus points - with more players it's not such a problem.

Checkout the Round Length Poll everyone :)

Edited by therealbountybob

Hello everyone,

thanks for the reminder realbountybob!

There are so many great games, but my collection has dwindled to a handful of cartridges . So I'll suggest those and add a few I'd like to add if my collection were to grow again.

1. Donkey Kong

2. Joust

3. Pac-Man

4. Shamus

5. Pacific Coast Highway

6. Preppie II

7. Donkey Kong Jr.

8. Monezuma's Revenge

9. Basketball

10. Venture

11. Super Pac-Man

12. Jr. Pac-Man

13. Beef Drop

14. ET Phone Home

Edited by littleman jack
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey gang, bad news...decided in my game room "revamp" to unhook & put away my 800XL due to lack of use. I was actually planning to type in a bunch of magazine games over the winter, but it didnt happen & now Spring has sprung. I will def. consider play in future contests.

Sorry, & play on!

• Like 1

Hey gang, bad news...decided in my game room "revamp" to unhook & put away my 800XL due to lack of use. I was actually planning to type in a bunch of magazine games over the winter, but it didnt happen & now Spring has sprung. I will def. consider play in future contests.

Sorry, & play on!

Thanks for letting us know, don't leave it too long - join in anytime you feel the urge for some 8-bit Atari :)

I see a few people are topping up their 5 games if any have already been played - a good idea :thumbsup: We'll stick to the player's selection polls for a while :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you play in the current round and tell me which 4 (or 5) from your list you would like to plat they will go in the next game poll (we played Blue Max recently but 2001 could go in) ;)

By your command!

Don't own Blue Max 2001.

Still waiting for my "Ghostbuster-tape" from the UK - hope it works

• 1 month later...