Photo

The game that started the rating system we know today.

Night Trap kwkbox 3DO SCAT

4 replies to this topic

#1 KWKBOX OFFLINE  

KWKBOX

Chopper Commander

• 118 posts

Posted Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:40 AM

There were so many other games from back in the day that would have been better candidates to trigger a rating system.  It kind of baffles me that this one started the rating system.  How bad do you think this game is in comparison to the others at the time?

#2 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

Quadrunner

• 5,915 posts

Posted Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:19 AM

while it wasnt the only game called out, you have to remember this was the first time anyone had seen a game, which at that point was still mostly a child's toy, which featured ideas of voyeurism and rape, all played out with real people. SO what you have is essentially a soft-core snuff film marketed to children which flipped the OMG switch in a lot of people of the time.

#3 The Usotsuki ONLINE  

The Usotsuki

River Patroller

• 2,044 posts
  • Also called "Licca"

Posted Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:25 AM

There was also Mortal Kombat about the same time, also using footage of real people.

#4 Algus OFFLINE  

Algus

River Patroller

• 2,116 posts
  • Cogito Ergo Sum

Posted Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:11 AM

Night Trap is actually a pretty good example of the FMV genre and one of the better titles.   Even if you're following a solution guide, it requires pretty quick timing.   

#5 jhd OFFLINE  

jhd

Stargunner

• 1,841 posts

Posted Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:13 PM

I remember that Custer's Revenge on the 2600 received a fair bit of negative publicity -- even my Grandmother had heard about it! -- but it was not widely sold or promoted as a mainstream title. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Night Trap, kwkbox, 3DO, SCAT

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users